Sign in with
Your question
Solved

C1E and EIST

Last response: in Overclocking
January 28, 2010 7:14:12 PM

Currently I have these both disable on my overclocked q6600 at 3.4GHZ because I have read some places where they say this is a necessity for getting a stable overclock. I don't reall understand how this makes things more stable? Because of the voltage not dropping maybe?This does keep the CPU at full speed at all times and I think it does something with vdroop as well which I'm not really clear about what that is either. What are your opinions on these 2 BIOS settings? It seems to me it might reduce the longevity of the cpu if it is constantly running at full speed. So what do you guys normally do? Enable or Disable?

More about : c1e eist

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2010 9:05:36 PM

As long as you keep the temps in check and dont have to much voltage running through it, it wont reduce the life of it. I have seen more problems with these power saving options than you can imagine.

My suggestion: keep them off! Besides in a 600w system you will only be saving what, 25-50 watts. Not worth it IMO.
m
l
January 28, 2010 10:59:27 PM

yea besides that i feel like by the cpu going up and down constantly and the voltage constantly changing has to have some effect on stability and longevity.
m
l
Related resources
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
a c 172 à CPUs
January 29, 2010 4:08:02 PM

No, it doesn't seem to. I turn off C1E and EIST until I get a stable OC, then I turn them back on. I haven't had any problems.

I suspect that a debate on this topic would have the same results as one about leaving your system on 24/7 or turning it off when you're done with it - that is, inconclusive. I have two that run 24/7 and one I turn off.

OTOH, I do not pay my utility bill in Saudi Arabia. My company does. :D 
m
l
January 29, 2010 8:13:18 PM

not a bad idea...yea I leave my system on 24/7 as well, I think I'll stick with keeping those settings turned off. but it probably reduces the lifespan by having the constant higher voltage, but the difference is pretty minimal im sure.
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2010 8:35:34 PM

jsc said:
No, it doesn't seem to. I turn off C1E and EIST until I get a stable OC, then I turn them back on. I haven't had any problems.

I suspect that a debate on this topic would have the same results as one about leaving your system on 24/7 or turning it off when you're done with it - that is, inconclusive. I have two that run 24/7 and one I turn off.

OTOH, I do not pay my utility bill in Saudi Arabia. My company does. :D 

Ah yes but what do you want to wager that when the one you turn off fails it will be during a power up? :D 

One can't deny the laws of physics and stuff definitely expands and contracts as it moves from cold to hot and generally that will be the time that any potential weakness shows up.

The camp that believes powering on and off all the time is fine has often just been lucky and gotten good quality components.

I'm of the belief why tempt fate unless absolutely necessary. :D 
February 5, 2010 12:15:16 AM

Best answer selected by adamh9.
m
l
!