Sign in with
Your question

RAM causing computer to crash..

Last response: in Memory
February 9, 2009 9:39:56 PM

I just bout this RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it seemed like good ram, with awsome heatsinks that would keep in nice and cool hours into playing crysis or gta IV.. ANyways I put it in and started up my computer, everything seemed just fine nothing different at all, I got the HP welcome screen and it went to load the operating system and I got the blue screen of death ( twice ) I went into my bios and its right there under memory like it should be. It says how much is installed and how much is installed in each slot and says its running at PC 6400 however I cannot get it to work- i then ran a diagnostics and everything passed but the RAM failed.. Heres my computer and heres my mother board..http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01... ( motherboard ) http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can... ( computer ) I understand that these computers arent made to add upgrades that well but i simply figured adding some RAM wouldnt hurt a thing and would be a nice simpler upgrade.. Any Idea whats going on??
February 9, 2009 10:02:03 PM

that ram is rated to run at 1.9-2.0v, make sure you have the correct voltage selected in your bios, or else that could cause the BSODs
a b } Memory
February 9, 2009 10:04:42 PM

You should attempt to boot with one stick at a time to see if one stick is bad. Unfortunately one bad stick is not uncommon. Don't know alot about Evo, never tried their products. When I've seen reviews of their products, they seem to be middle of the pack performance-wise with a high end price.

I am very happy with OCZ.

ONE NOTE: I noticed on the motherboard page you posted that it says it is compatible with 4gb ram on 32 bit OS, and 8 GB with a 64 bit OS.

Are you running a 64bit OS?
Related resources
February 9, 2009 10:17:17 PM

Yes Vista 64 bit. I havent checked the voltage out yet but will in a minute if it is that can I 1.) change it on an HP ( this isnt a custom built or anything 2.) If I can is it safe for my mother board and everything?
February 9, 2009 10:24:21 PM

I will go with the memory voltage being the problem...... JDEC specifications for DDR2 is 1.8V standard. The memory that you have installed is rated for 1.9 to 2.0 volts.... If you cannot change the voltage in the bios then you got yourself some great conversation pieces as your system probably will not be able to use them.
February 9, 2009 10:27:58 PM

i have no idea where to find the voltage for memory in my bios i really cant look at much im my hp and im sure i can't change anything.. damn.
a b } Memory
February 9, 2009 10:30:22 PM

the mobo page says to hit f10 to enter bios at boot.
Memory voltage probably under advanced settings or some such
a b } Memory
February 9, 2009 10:32:06 PM

Unless increasing voltage above 2.1 volts on ram I wouldn't worry about damage to the mobo
February 9, 2009 10:44:25 PM

i looked every where cant find it.
a c 81 } Memory
February 9, 2009 10:45:30 PM

brewski09, if you have an HP, you most likely can't increase the voltage. Just get RAM that runs at 1.8V and you'll be fine.
a b } Memory
February 9, 2009 10:59:56 PM

Mushkin has a good reputation and I have used them. Based in Colorado (like me) :) 

I would recommend them. and OCZ too.
February 10, 2009 12:21:13 AM

Ok, thank you everyone! Sorry for my lack of knowledge!
a c 81 } Memory
February 10, 2009 12:58:28 AM

You can't increase the voltage on your system, but they should work fine at 1.8V (at least they do in the PCs that I used to test them). They'll run at JEDEC timings of 5-5-5-15.
!