Sign in with
Your question

Two GPU questions. crashing and power supply.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • GPUs
  • Power Supplies
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 11, 2008 7:39:08 AM

I've got two questions about two GPU's in two machines.

Number one.
Rig:
Intel Q6600 (stock)
nVidia GTX 260 (stock)
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Mobo
Crucial 2x1 gig DDR2 800 Sticks
Corsair TX650 Watt PSU
Seagate 320 HDD
DVD Drive
Three case fans

Question:
Is my power supply close to being maxed out by this system? Would another DVD or Hard drive be a stretch?

Ok now a more pressing question

Rig:
AMD 9950 Phenom
nVidia 9800 GT
Gigabyte 790i SLI something MOBO (really nice BTW)
2x2 gig DDR2 1022 Sticks
160 gig HDD
dvd drive
Can't recall size or brand of PSU. Its new and most probably big enough.

Here's the deal. The 9800 GT is giving us problems with Crysis. It works great with Bioshock so it isn't a crap card. We were running Crysis with the auto video setting on. We didn't get 100 meters up the first beach before it went wacky. The screen flashed white and then started cycling through texture files. We got like a screen full of tree bark, then rock texture, then leaves, then sand. You get the idea. Can aybody tell me what is going on here?

The case cooling might be a little weak and the card is a one slot cooler so an overheat might be the case. But again, we weren't slamming it with Very High Setting and it worked well with Bioshock turned up so who knows.

Any insight is appreciated.

More about : gpu questions crashing power supply

a b ) Power supply
October 11, 2008 7:59:09 AM

Well the Corsair tx650w PSU can easily handle either system, so you shouldn't have any issues with the number 1 rig. You could even OC the q6600 and still not have any issues. Of coarse I'm assuming you have a half-way decent case that it's installed in??
As far as the AMD rig, it's hard to say what your problem is. My first guess is the video drivers might not be up to date. My next guess (since you don't know your PSU) is your PSU might be on it's limits. Of coarse I'm just guessing, but if you have the make and model of the PSU I can help you more. I'm mainly looking for the amps on the 12v rail(s). I'm also going to assume your running Vista 64bit, but that is just a guess (since you have 4gb's of DDR2). I'm also guessing that you have 1066mHz DDR2 and not 1022mHz DDR2 that you have stated (just critiquing errors, hopefully your not offended).
October 11, 2008 9:00:13 AM

Not offended at all. That rig is my Dad's which is why I don't have all the details. He knows how to built a good computer so I feel safe saying he picked up a big enough power supply. Its not like he has a huge system going. 1022mHz was just a mistake.

Good point about the RAM. He doesn't like Vista but I don't think he is aware that XP won't support the 4 gigs. He also has the newest drivers so thats out of the question, mostly.

As for my case. I can't think why the case would have a substantial impact on the PSU but mine is a Cooler Master Centurion 590. Its a little bit of a budget case at 60 bucks but I find it roomy, expansionable and quite nice all around.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 11, 2008 9:19:12 AM

The 4gb's won't be fully utilized under XP, but won't hurt things either. Now I'm assuming that your Dad has installed all patches with Crysis? I'm going to assume anything, so that is why I'm asking. I would also like to know the particulars of your Dad's PSU. It might be BIG enough (in theory), but without the details of it, I won't know for sure. I'd just be speculating right now anyway. Oh and last time I checked, you can't fit a 9950 Phenom into a s775 (790i) mobo. Now you might be talking about the 790x/790gx/790fx mobo's, which I'm assuming that is what you meant :)  Maybe your Dad has a virus or something that is wreaking havoc on his system, which wouldn't hurt to run a virus scan on the system. You might also want to run a disk defrag on his HD too. Check for Spam and other malicious software while your at it.
October 11, 2008 5:12:46 PM

Well damn I guess I need to get my details a facts straight don't I. All Crysis patches and hotfixes are installed. I'll get the PSU info when I can call Pops.

As far as I understand the GPU has no bearing on what brand of CPU you can stick in a motherboard so I never figured that nVidia would want to convolute matters by renaming their SLI chipsets depending on an Intel or AMD CPU socket.

I highly doubt any virus or malicious software. Dad is careful of those sort of things and the whole computer is only about one week old. It remains a possibility but I can't see the probability of it only affecting the system, the GPU in particular, when Crysis is running.
a b ) Power supply
October 12, 2008 2:37:43 AM

nVidia used to make SLI chipsets for AMD, but really haven't done that for awhile. They are having issues with trying to get Intel to adopt them on their mobo's, but Intel isn't really working with them (other issues involved there). I currently have a s939 (AMD) mobo with SLI option, but it doesn't matter if you use an AMD or nVidia GPU, just that you won't be able to Crossfire 2 AMD GPU's (crossfire is AMD's version of nVidia's SLI).
a b ) Power supply
October 12, 2008 4:48:23 AM

Crysis is kind of unique in the way that it stresses a GPU. You should be able to run with mostly High settings (a few less than high) with that set up and at 1680x1050.

The artifacting is either heat or power. You might want to use Riva Tuner to take over management of the GPU fan.
!