Time for an upgrade me thinks but what to do??

tricky trees

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
First off HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL. :bounce:

I think it's time for an upgrade as my FPS are getting a bit low with some of the newer gaming titles so i was after a some suggestions.

Shoud I...

A: Get a P45 SLI mobo and another 8800GT?
I only have a 460W power supply so i'm sure i would need a better one if i do this.

B: Get a new mobo and a single HD4870?

C: Get a new mobo (and possibly a power supply) and wait for the next generation of cards?

D: Something else?

I game in 1680 by 1050 now but would like to change up to 1920 by 12000 sometime this year so the GPU needs to be able to deal with this.

Thanks in advance for any advice. it's always appreciated.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Well, if everything is fine and you can play all of your games @ 30fps+ then I would wait awhile. If not, then I would look at getting a GTX 260 core 216. If you did get that, then you would also need a new power supply. Is your CPU overclocked at all? The recommended power supply is a 500W and your 460W looks to be a little small. If that costs too much, then I would buy an after market CPU cooler and overclock your cpu. A very good overclocking guide can be found on a Sticky in the Overclocking section of the forum.

tricky trees

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I've got it overclocked to 3.2 gig at the mo.

I was just a bit surprised with Far Cry 2. FPS were around 15 and didn't get significantly better dropping the settings or resolution.

I've not been reading up too much this last couple of months so not sure if some new GPU releases are due or if i should just get one soon?

Thanks again.