Solved

I7 Temps

I just did a modest overclock on my i7 920. I'm using the arctic cooling freezer 7 pro rev.2. I've read some reviews that it's not good enough to overclock the i7 and others I've read have performed a modest overclock.

Anyways, I overclocked it to 3.3Ghz and did a prime95 stress test. I only ran it for 20 minutes because I decided to go and get some advice. My max temps were 70c 78c 69c 73c.

As you can see one core likes to run hotter than the others. I have turbo mode off but hyperthreading is still on. My room tempature is chilly (not sure of exact temp) so I'm sure I already have that on my side. In the summer I'm guessing that one core especially will hit well over 80c.

So a number of questions:

Should I return back to stock?
Dropping speed to 3Ghz to reduce temps or is it worth it?
I have one front intake fan, if I add a side and an additional front intake could that help my temps by a reasonable margin?

I cheaped out on the HSF and obviously I'm paying for it. I won't be spending money on another one so if I have to I'll just reduce to stock.

All input is appreciated.

Thanks.
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about temps
  1. Although I'm running P55, I believe that my very recent overclocking experience might help. Unfortunately, it might not, as my cooler is the Hyper 212+.

I'm suggesting that you drop the voltage on your VCore by one level, maybe two at the most.

Now I know that X58 i7s are said to overheat more than P55 i7s (in conjunction with your cooler, this makes a considerable difference to our temperatures), so if 3.3GHz is still too hot for your liking, I suggest that you drop the BCLK until you reach 3.2GHz and so on, until you're comfortable temperature.

Before you make any adjustments though, you'll need to know what the stock voltage for an i7 920 is. I don't know what it is, but I'm assuming that it would be around 2.26v.

EDIT: Core 1 (really Core 2, but RealTemp calls it Core 1) is your "one in every crowd". Apparently, there's one core in most CPUs that usually has a temperature constant difference to the average of the other three.
  2. I'm pretty new to the overclocking game but I never touched the voltage. Can it be decreased from the original and still function properly? I always new about increasing it but never thought of reducing it.
  3. I just considered something after reading an overclocking article. I have the ASUS P6T board (non deluxe). Anyways, I switched the BCLK, DRAM and UCORE clocks from auto to a manual setting of mine. However, I read that if you leave the voltage on auto that the board could increase it when an overclock is performed. ***, I'll have to check that tonight cause it could reduce my temps. I shouldn't need a voltage increase for 3.3 I wouldn't think.
  4. Those temps are not terrible you want to try to keep it under 67c... what fans are you running in the case and cpu cooler... thease can dramatically change the cpu core temp anywere between 8 to 12 degrees from what i have seen. You have to remeber that when running prime you are maxing the system out and those temps are not what it operates at normally. So remember that as you do your tests... if you hit 80c on a test i would probubly stop.... i am sure the i7 is able to take more but why risk burning your chip out. I have hit a stable 4.0ghz clock with a temp of 68c on prime but i have a lot of fan power and changed out my aftermarket cpu cooler to a bigger one.
  5. Best answer
    No you should be able to hit 3.3ghz on stock voltage, maybe even less, I could do 3.5ghz with stock voltage.

After I finished building my Ci7 920 rig I went into the BIOS and noticed that it had set my Vcore to 1.20xxxV which I though was quite high for 2.67ghz so I put it all the way down to 1.10xxxv and booted into windows and ran OCCT to make sure it was stable.

Don't be scared to find the limits of your CPU, You may find you can do 3.3ghz with less than stock voltage, which would lower your temps alot.

78C is hot, I personally like to keep mine below 73C under stress testing.

BTW your freezer 7 is not a good cooler and wont handle a Ci7 920 very well. You may want to upgrade if you want some moderate overclocks.
  6. avanluv said:
    I'm pretty new to the overclocking game but I never touched the voltage. Can it be decreased from the original and still function properly? I always new about increasing it but never thought of reducing it.

I've actually undervolted my CPU for the same size overclock (2.8-3.5). The system should cope fairly well.

Quote:
    I just considered something after reading an overclocking article. I have the ASUS P6T board (non deluxe). Anyways, I switched the BCLK, DRAM and UCORE clocks from auto to a manual setting of mine. However, I read that if you leave the voltage on auto that the board could increase it when an overclock is performed. ***, I'll have to check that tonight cause it could reduce my temps. I shouldn't need a voltage increase for 3.3 I wouldn't think.

[Auto] certainly does regulate the voltages for what the BIOS thinks is "the best configuration" by increasing them (considerably if Turbo is on), and selecting [Normal] won't help you either. You're best to key in the default voltage, stress for about two hours and record the temperatures (highest, average and lowest at both idle and 100%). If your PC survives and you'd like a lower temperature, simply go down one level in your VCore.

Just a note: if you key in one voltage, I recommend that you do the lot - it'll save confusion and conflicting voltages.
  7. avanluv said:
    I'm pretty new to the overclocking game but I never touched the voltage. Can it be decreased from the original and still function properly? I always new about increasing it but never thought of reducing it.

Different processors require different things.

I am running two i7 920's at 3.6Ghz and one requires 1.23V (VCore) while the other one is quite happy with 1.15V (VCore).

It won't hurt to try and take it down as the less you use whilst staying stable the less heat you'll create.

One of our gifted overclockers has provided a very useful guide for i7's here............. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253365-29-core-overclocking-guide
  8. Well a bit of an update after another test. I went out and bought a 120mm fan for the side of the case to push some air (CFM of 68). I then booted up my machine to see if my current overclock was bumping up the voltage over the default. Unfortunately even though I had left it on auto it did not up it.

So I installed the fan, changed my BIOS settings by locking in the CPU voltage at 1.10 (lowered by .1), CPU PLL at the default of 1.80, Uncore at 1.2 and the DRAM BUS at 1.64 (if I put in 1.65 my P6T mb would auto increase it to 1.66 giving me a warning message). I left all other voltages on auto.

So I booted up into windows without trouble and ran Prime95. I ran it for 2 hours and had much better temps of 58C 64C 57C 58C. It's also cooler idling at 31C 35C 33C 30C.

I think the combo of lowering the CPU voltage and adding a decent side intake fan has made a huge difference. My highest temp previously was 78C so that is a 14C decrease.

I believe I'll leave it like this now. I'm content with the speed and made the most of the Arctic Cooling 7 Pro even though it's not a great overclocking fan.

One thing I wonder is if I lowered my two exhaust fans to medium if my temps would increase much. Anyone have thoughts on that?
  9. You were able to lower your VCore to 1.1v? That's pretty impressive, considering the amount you overclocked by. What is your QPI Vtt Voltage?

I use the Antec 902, and have my fans on medium to keep the ambient temperature down, but I've noticed that the increase in speed for the two exhaust fans has done very little for my CPU temperatures. It's worth looking into though - I admit that I can't be 100% sure, but your temperatures seem to be relatively stable, so turning the fans down a notch won't send them to an alarming temperature, if any increase happens at all. Maybe during the summer months you'll have a slight increase, but during the winter, you should be fine.
  10. Hey rider_eragon,

I was able to lower my VCore to 1.1v. I was surprised it worked too but I took omgitzfatal's advice and attempted it.

When you are saying QPI VTT I'm guessing you are talking about the QPI/DRAM Core Volt which I left at the 1.2 default. I wanted to attempt decreasing it and wondered if it would help my temps further if it actually worked on that. But I left it.

I think I will attempt lowering the exhaust fan speed to medium. It's not overly noisy but it was relatively quieter at medium speeds.
  11. Sorry, I'm on the Gigabyte P55A-UD4P - Asus (or maybe X58 boards) call it QPI/DRAM Core Volt. If you're going to play around with your settings (maybe in the future), keep that and your DRAM Voltage within 0.5v of each other (which you've done). Otherwise your CPU won't last much more than a week.

I've noticed that my fans are relatively quiet at medium, but are annoyingly loud when I have them at full ball. The only time I turn them up is when I play Crysis, mainly to cool the GPU. If you have a +1C or +2C difference, but the noise level is much better for you, I say forsake the couple of degrees for the peace and quiet.
  12. avanluv said:
    Hey rider_eragon,

I was able to lower my VCore to 1.1v. I was surprised it worked too but I took omgitzfatal's advice and attempted it.

When you are saying QPI VTT I'm guessing you are talking about the QPI/DRAM Core Volt which I left at the 1.2 default. I wanted to attempt decreasing it and wondered if it would help my temps further if it actually worked on that. But I left it.

I think I will attempt lowering the exhaust fan speed to medium. It's not overly noisy but it was relatively quieter at medium speeds.

Glad to hear 1.1V worked for you, You might want to try even lower voltages. I always like to find the lowest possible stable voltage for my CPU, before I overclock any further.

But It has to be said, it takes ages. And it may not be worth your time :)
  13. avanluv said:
    Hey rider_eragon,

We have my son's 920 "everyday profile" running at 3.7 GHz w/ HT and Turbo on....well everything on and at stock BIOS settings except CPU voltage, which is at 1.125 and Memory Voltage, which is at 1.56. Took CPU voltage all the way down to 1.10 but as it didn't give any temp drop over 1.125, raised it back up to 1.125 AT this voltage and 3.7 Ghz, Core temps are in low 50's (Prolimatech Megahalems). He has other profiles for 4.2 GHz which he uses for gaming sometimes and 4.4 Ghz for just testing purposes. Temps are in low 70's for those.

Checjk out thgis guide, especially the part about lowering CPU and memory voltages.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20081220191040237&board_id=1&model=P6T+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
  14. Just to add a question here but should my CPU voltage and the QPI/DRAM voltage be the same. So in my case I left turned down the CPU voltage to 1.1 and left he QPI/DRAM at the default of 1.2. Will this damage the CPU at all?
  15. Well I just went into the BIOS and found out that the mb won't let me take QPI/DRAM voltage any lower than 1.2 anyways.
  16. Its perfectly safe, just peachy
  17. Best answer selected by avanluv.
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel Overclocking Intel i7