Sign in with
Your question

5.1 Reciever, Will a 7.1 Card Work?

Last response: in Components
January 5, 2009 10:34:09 PM

I have a Pioneer VSX D509S and I'm planning on building a media center PC. The sound card I'm planning on using is a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My main concern is that the sound will not work beacuse the Card is 7.1, and I have a 5.1 setup. Will this setup work?

Thanks

More about : reciever card work

January 6, 2009 12:26:33 AM

It'll work just fine. 7.1 cards will run anything up to and including 7.1 - they aren't limited to just 7.1.
January 6, 2009 12:37:42 AM

if you plan on playing games, keep looking for a sound card. the creative cards don't support realtime 5.1/7.1 over a digital output, i.e. S/PDIF. i bought a home theater system for use specifically with my pc, so i bought an auzentech x-plosion cinema card. it supports dolby digital live and DTS connect, so as a result it will output 5.1 sound from games to my reciever.
Related resources
January 6, 2009 12:51:00 AM

Yes they do - at least the Titaniums do, which is the one that is linked above. The older ones don't. I have one (specifically a Titanium Fatal1ty Pro) - you just have to enable Dolby Digital Live or DTS connect. It works great - I have mine hooked up to a Denon 2808 reciever.
January 6, 2009 8:41:24 PM

again, it's for a media center, my gaming PC is upstairs. well, it's kinda a gaming Pc. Ok, thanks.
!