Would this be safe?

torsion

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Hello,

I recently overclocked my Phenom 9850 BE on an Asrock Alivenf7g-fullhd motherboard. It's running at 2.8Ghz from the original 2.49Ghz.

How I overclocked it was by raising the FSB from 200 to 230. It was actually unstable at 235 but 230 seems to be running okay. So, being new to overclocking I'm wondering if this is safe for my system.

After installing a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 on the CPU, it idles at 35C and at full load it barely tips 58C. Whereas before, with the stock cooler, it would idle at 41C and at full load run 65C+. I should also mention that I do not use this system for gaming, video editing, etc. It's mainly used to run CS4 applications and a few others simultaneously, so I doubt the CPU would ever reach full load.

specs.png

torsion

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Great, thank you. Using OCCT, it ran for a full 10 minutes. Also, I think the arctic 5 thermal compound needs some time to set in, as it was installed yesterday evening. Hoping it will get a little cooler.

I was wondering about it being stable, because at just 5Mhz higher on the FSB, it would blue-screen. But it hasn't happened since lowering it back down to 230.

The system was overclocked by leaving the multiplier/voltage set to [auto], while changing the overclock mode to [CPU, PCIE, Async] — what the manual says to change — in order to support United Overclocking Technology. I really am quite unfamiliar (until only recently actually!) with all of this. Thanks again.

No problem, by the way, you should run OCCT for a minimum of 8 hours and recommend to run it for 12 hours.

10 minutes is simply not long enough to say its stable. I've had a BSOD after just over 7 hours of OCCT stress test. So it really is needed