Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD Overdrive 3.1 Auto Clock

Last response: in Overclocking
January 29, 2010 4:57:06 PM

Just hoping for some general feedback from the community.

Using AMD's Overdrive 3.1 Auto Clock feature.
1) General stability: are people getting lots of crashes after the auto clock is done? (other than the system hanging during calibration which i believe is part of the process)
2) Processors used: black edition, regular, X4, X2
3) Advanced clock calibration: left off or enabled for auto clock?
4) Voltage boost: enabled disabled
5) Overall system gain: % overclock achieved?

Just wanted to throw it out there and if i get lots of responses of people getting BSOD days after the auto clock then i will probably not venture there and stick to manual overclocking.

Cheerios
January 29, 2010 5:53:11 PM

Well i am sure it works just as others for the i7 do. You need to make sure though that you still change some bios settings to help with voltage and vdroop. Gigabyte had a similar function for their boards but i noticed that if i didn't change the profiles in the bios to help support what the auto clock feature does.... it would tend to crash the system after a while. The Auto tune program for my board has three setting that basically mirror the clock rates for the 940 and the extreme i7 up to 3.2. If you are going to clock high.... do it manually.
Score
a b À AMD
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 31, 2010 10:17:19 PM

hi, I'm new to clocking, i couldnt do it manually,Im not that clever hehe, but I just built a m3a770de rig with amd ii x3 435 (2.9Ghz) in it, I used amd overclock to get 3.2Ghz stable which I was happy with, then I sucessfully unlocked 4th core, so now its a phenom x4 B35 holding 3.2Ghz stable,
Q1, yes the system does hang/crash/re-boot during tuning, it carries on after reboot tho,dont worry.
I've only used it on my proc sry, no comparative info to give.
First I saved standard bios settings on the profile thing, just in case :) 
I tuned it without acc on first, to check stability, then turned acc on to unlock fourth core and re-tuned again, and ran stability test after applying settings
voltage boost, havent noticed that one, but I'm pretty sure if voltage needed adjusting, It would do that too automatically.
overall from 3 cores at 2.9Ghz, to three, then four at 3.2Ghz stable, dont know percentages, but its pretty damn shiny, and apparently safe.
no blue screens, no problems operating at all,other than two i mention below which arent really problems,more glitches id say
The only issues I've had, and I mailed AMD bout it, the system monitor on amd overclock now shows core temps as -269.9'C, my fans aint THAT good lol, other monitors show temps as 20-30'C, and the instant boot no longer works right, removed it and will re-install at some point to try again
hope this helps some, I have a post about my build if you need to compare/check anything,hope you get sorted,
Moto
Score
Related resources
February 2, 2010 9:07:43 PM

Well, always tha i´ve tried with AMD OD the system crash, anyway i think it´s better via BIOS....
Score
February 3, 2010 2:17:32 AM

It is never recommended to use software to overclock whatsoever. Simple processor overclocks are not that complicated if you take the time to read some tutorials on here. If you don't feel like reading tutorials in order to avoid damaging anything, you shouldn't be overclocking as it requires patience.
Score
February 4, 2010 2:49:07 AM

Seem to be running good @ 3.8GHz @ 1.425V, happy with temps for now.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2010 5:34:28 PM

Yea, dont use AOD.... The bios will give you more stability and you are less prone to crash if you set all the values correctly.
Score
February 5, 2010 6:57:32 PM

Schwizer you could probubly drop vcore down to a 1.38 or 9 at 3.8ghz... will help power consumption and temps a bit.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2010 7:41:01 PM

I doubt the PC will be stable using 1.38/1.39v for a 3.8Ghz overclock. The Stock voltage is 1.35, normally the 965 needs at least 1.41/1.425v to operate at 3.8Ghz....
Score
February 7, 2010 1:10:35 AM

1.4V was stock vcore which got me to about 3.65GHz.

One thing to note is that there are so many other voltages that i'm not too familiar with such as:
NB VID CPU extra-OV, VDDNB extra-OV, DDR Voltage, NB Voltage, HT Voltage, SB Voltage.

I know what some of them do such as the DDR voltage, NB Voltage, HT Voltage, SB Voltage, but its much harder to get a general concencuss from the forums as to what voltage is getting ppl what overclocks. For example, i'm pretty confident that i could get to 3.9GHz @ 1.45vcore from other posts on the forums but i have no idea which HT voltage would get me to a 2600GHz HT speed.

Cheers
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2010 10:07:50 PM

I have my CPU at 3.8Ghz right now, the HTv is at 1.23225v, the NB 1.8v is at 1.80200v, the NB is at 1.24550v, the SB is at 1.20575 and the CPU VDDA is at 2.50425v

you should get the idea of what you need acording to the above =)

You can give your CPU 1.46/1.47/1.48v if you feel it needs that much juice, nothing will happen to the CPU as long as temps stay below 60c .....
Score
February 7, 2010 10:30:18 PM

OvrClkr said:
I have my CPU at 3.8Ghz right now, the HTv is at 1.23225v, the NB 1.8v is at 1.80200v, the NB is at 1.24550v, the SB is at 1.20575 and the CPU VDDA is at 2.50425v

you should get the idea of what you need acording to the above =)

You can give your CPU 1.46/1.47/1.48v if you feel it needs that much juice, nothing will happen to the CPU as long as temps stay below 60c .....

What are your CPU VID and NB VID voltages @?
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2010 10:33:58 PM

CPU @ 1.4500v

NB @ 1.24550v

CPU/NB @ 1.2375v
Score
February 7, 2010 10:41:42 PM

so your CPU/NB voltage is the same as the NB VID in this picture?

Do you find that the NB VID needs to be raised along with the CPU VID for increasing processor frequency or does the NB VID voltage just matter for upping the NB frequency?
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 2:53:45 AM

schwizer said:
so your CPU/NB voltage is the same as the NB VID in this picture?

http://game.amd.com/kr-kr/content/images/unlock/overdrive/CLOCK_ADVANCED.png

Do you find that the NB VID needs to be raised along with the CPU VID for increasing processor frequency or does the NB VID voltage just matter for upping the NB frequency?

No, the CPU/NB VID and THE NB VID are two different things, some chips like more vid some like less, its all about finding the sweet spot. In my case my CPU loves CPU VID and NB VID, but it does not need more than 1.25 on the CPU/NB VID regardless of the clock.

Quote:

again it all depends, normally what I do is I raise ALL my voltages and start to tweak.... I first raise the CPU clock to 4Ghz and slowly decrease the VID on all the values (while I run a bench) till it BSOD's, then I raise the volts a bit and im done...

I do not use AOD, I find it unstable at times (Bios does not like me messing with it in Windows ;)  )

As far as that pic above, you are fine the only thing that is a bit overvolted is the SBv (1.35v)... you can leave that at 1.25v ( it does not need 1.35 and it will stay cooler ;) 
Score
February 10, 2012 4:32:37 PM

schwizer said:
Seem to be running good @ 3.8GHz @ 1.425V, happy with temps for now.

Dude....you can run at 3.8 @ 1.375v....easy.
I tend to up the voltage on everything by a tiny amount. Ex: 1.202 changes to 1.21 and 1.65 changes to 1.68.
Running stable, doesn't go over 50 usually, depends on the ambient house temp.
Other than that, idle at like 30-33C and rock solid.

3.8@1.375V.

Do it.

Score
a b À AMD
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 10, 2012 7:02:28 PM

Holy necro threading batman.....
Moto
Score
!