Outlet Fan Speed Control

Eliyahu

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Hi...I'm new to this forum. I hope you guys can give me a hand here.

I recently built a system based on an Intel DG965WH and a C2Q Q6600. Everything works relatively fine, but I wonder why my outlet fan is running at full speed.

In fact, it looks like this fan is not being speed-controlled (and sounds like being running at full speed). The BIOS "hardware control" utility reports 000 RPM. The fan is a Nidec TA350DC, its connector has a black, a red and a yellow wire (for GND, +12V and Tach I presume).

When I tested another fan on the same header, but this fan having a black, a yellow and a green wire on its connector, the motherboard seemed to control its speed correctly.

Might I be using the wrong kind of fan for my motherboard?

I will appreciate every clue, advise and help.

Thanks in advance.

E.

I think you'll find that green is for pcm, pulse code modulation, although I thought this was a four pin plug not three.

From research I have done in past 120mm fans with pcm are rare, but that was a year ago.

I think that actual voltage modulation i.e. ramping from 5V to 12V is difficult therefore they ue PCM.

Eliyahu

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Thanks a lot for your response, 13thmonkey.

I still don't understand why i cannot read nor control the speed with the fan I'm currently using. Do I have the wrong fan?

I can understand not being able to control it as it may not be controllable from the ports you have available. Have a read of this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_control

As to not being able to read it, I believe that there are settings (in speedfan at least) that control various dividers (as to how you ascertain which ones you need I have no idea), with the right divider settings you mayget a reading.