Sign in with
Your question

Just got a Sapphire 4870x2 and had some questions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 8, 2008 1:39:05 PM

I just got a 4870x2 that I put into my new computer. I installed the drivers and see that ATI Overdrive is turned on by default with the GPU clock being set at 750MHZ and the memory clock being set at 900MHZ.

My question is, is this normal for it to be on by default? Since this card is such a beast, I was just worried that it could kill the card with it on and being too high.

Also, I have the fan manually set at 35% and the temperature is 55 C. The activity bar shows 170%, as well... Is that a normal temperature and why would it be showing activity at 170%?

Sorry for all the questions, but I admit that I am pretty much a noob when it comes to new graphics cards.

Thanks!
November 8, 2008 1:54:36 PM

The default clocks are 750 on the core and 900 on the memory, thats for 3D games. 1 card should downclock in 2D, or plain desk top, to 500 on core, cant remember the memory speeds at 2D.

55C is really good actually for your idle temps. Just beware of your temps while gaming, make sure they dont go over 100c, if you can, keep them in the 80s while gaming

Not sure why its showing 170%, maybe someone else can help with that
November 8, 2008 2:34:42 PM

The current is 500MHZ on core; the default clocks are 750/900.

When playing games, what do you guys set your fan speed at?
November 8, 2008 2:50:03 PM

Thats good. I have a corner desk and the case sits close to the wall.. should I be worried of the air pooling against the wall and the back of the case, heating it up more? I am probably just overreacting... haha.. ;) 
!