Homebuilt machine locks up every few days

ShoGeist

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Hi all,

I just built an XP Pro SP 2 machine and every few days the screen will blank out. When I try to bring the screen back with my Fingerworks iGesture touchpad it won't. Normally I can bring the screen back since the screen is set to power off every 20 minutes.

The machine is still running although I don't know if everything else is running normally or not. So far this has happened while I'm away from the machine. Is there a log that I can check to see what's going on? Or any suggestions as to what this might be?

Thanks in advance!

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
lots of machine don't like hiberbate or sleep mode. change your energy saving features and see what it is.

if is not that, it could be memory or other stability problems. try memtest and prime95 to test stability.

it could also be powerfluctuation from the wall plug. a better PSU or even a UPS could help that problem.

Like groo says, hibernate and sleep modes are problematic. Turn everything of that nature off in both the BIOS and XP, and power down in between uses.

Or, roll up your sleeves and dive in, trying various settings, until you find one that is stable.