aquicl

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I have a C2D E6550 @ 2.33GHZ
2x1GB 800mhz CL5 PQI ram
ASUS p5kpl mobo
320gb 7200rpm 16mb Seagate barracuda
Windows XP pro 32bit

My windows XP system boots up very slowly. Even after fresh XP installation it takes 15-18 rounds of the loading thing in the loading screen.
Even my laptop with 5400rmp HDD boots up into Win 7 way faster than my PC. (It still booted faster when it had XP)

I suspect it's because of my HDD.

Is it my HDD making my PC boot up this slow?
Can any other component of my system be the reason of this?

Thanks

EDIT: i remember long time ago I checked it for bad sectors and my HDD had them

Solution
Generally, the hard drive is the slowest of all the components. Your hard drive could be perfectly fine as far it's hardware function. Once you're up and running try some hard drive benchamrks to see if it matches or is close to manufacture specs. You could also get on Seagate website to check if they utiities to inspect your hard drive.

aquicl

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

Mobo's bios is generally in standard settings except I disabled things and features I don't use eg. floppy drive and etc.

My cousin has a very similar to mine build - similar model Mobo, slower CPU, slower ram, but different HDD, he's computer boots way faster than mine.

Generally, is it the HDD which makes booting slower?

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Generally, the hard drive is the slowest of all the components. Your hard drive could be perfectly fine as far it's hardware function. Once you're up and running try some hard drive benchamrks to see if it matches or is close to manufacture specs. You could also get on Seagate website to check if they utiities to inspect your hard drive.

Solution

WindowsGuy

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

Did you defrag your hard drive? If not, defrag your hard drive a hundred times. This happened to me when I had a ton of apps running, but Windows XP works on my computer now.

TRENDING THREADS