Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Vantec Tornado to 3 pin fan controller?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 30, 2010 2:43:54 AM

I have 2 vantec tornados and i want to hook them up to a 3pin supported fan controller. (fan controller is rated for this voltage/wattage) can i splice the wires to a female 3 pin and plug it into the fan controller?

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
January 30, 2010 5:54:47 AM

That's really all they are doing when we buy a ready made "Y" adapter.
January 30, 2010 1:22:14 PM

thankyou for responding. Thats what i thought but i had to get a second opion
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2010 7:52:55 PM

Best answer selected by darkjuggalo2000.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2010 5:34:01 PM

Actually splicing the 3 wires will cause the sensors to think the fan is spinning twice as fast as it actually is since it will be getting 2 strobe signals one from each fan - so you will want to just splice the 2 wires to run the fan but leave the sense wire unattached so it will report the proper fan speed rotation count from the one fan instead of double reporting ! - As shown in this Pic of a Splitter
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2010 9:17:17 PM

^ Very useful info JDFan.

I learned something today. :) 
m
l
February 15, 2010 11:38:03 PM

ok i think i need to clarify my post.....

I didnt actually want to slice 2 fans to one channel..

I wanted each one on thier own channel on my fan controller, Seeing as the Vantec tornado originally recieves its power from a modular source i wanted to splice the wires to recieve from a 3 pin source. sorry for not clarifying that...

In response to my own question i went ahead and spliced them to 3 pin connectors along with the rpm wires and they work great! Thank you for your help..;
m
l
!