Complete Freeze xp SP3

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I'm at a loss so i'm turning to the forums again...

I have a Sony computer that is developing a rather annoying problem. It sometimes freezes and it is a complete freeze, nothing works afterwards and requires a Hard Power off.

Does anyone know of a way to troubleshoot this. I can't bring up task manager to see what processes are running.

I'd like to know first if it is hardware or software.

Computer specs,
Pentium 4, 3.0 ghz
2gb ram
dual monitor
250 gb harddrive
x300 ATI card 128 mb
XP SP3 32bit

This is a work computer and not a gaming machine. There has been no system upgrades or hardware changes during the last 3 months and the problem just started 2 weeks ago.

Probably a software conflict, but it could just as easily be hardware too...

Your best bet is to test RAM (memtest86) and your HD, defragment your HD, virus scan, etc. Worst case, format and see if the issue remains.

Mondoman

Splendid
If it happens very frequently (i.e. in less than an hour), try booting with a Ubuntu "Live" CD and running Ubuntu on it for an hour or two to see if you get a similar problem.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Anyway of actually testing this stuff? anyway to record what happens during a lockup?

I'll probably just complete new install and go from there but I'd rather avoid that if possible. Do you think it could be drivers even though they haven't been updated for over a year?

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Ok, there are multiple
Remote Access Connection Manager errors but they don't necessarily coincide with the lockups. The error states that the service needs "Telephony" to operate but that service is not compatible with an auto dialer that we have so it was disabled.

Maybe I'll try and disable that service and see what happens

Those were the only software errors reported that I found