jaywarren

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Anyone know if the E machines desktop EL1641-02w will play World of warcraft?

Intel celeron dual core E1400
3GB memory, 320 gb hard drive. It is sold at wal-mart.

Can I slap a graphics card in there and play WoW?

mxmMike

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
As long as it has an available PCI-E slot to use, there's no reason at all that thing won't play WoW with a discrete graphics card. Although, I definitely wouldn't try it with the integrated graphics :)

What video card are you thinking of using?

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Do not buy an E-Machines. That is my advice. Find a small computer shop and see if they could build you something in a similar price range.

Here's Anandtech's article on entry level and budget PC's:

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3486

Both the AMD and Intel builds in the $538 category are much better than the E-Machines Celeron. The AMD has integrated ATI 780G graphics and the Intel has integrated Nvidia Geforce 7100. The AMD has better graphics, but Intel has a better entry level processor. When it comes to graphics, Intel's lousy, which is why the Intel entry level build has Nvidia integrated graphics instead.

How much is that E-Machines? Add to the cost a budget $50-75 video card (that's about all the power supply in an E-Machines of that class can handle). You'd also have to pay labor to install the card if you don't know how.

Really, look for a small computer shop and take printouts of the AMD and Intel builds with you and see what they can build in your price range. If you can go slightly higher to the $800 range, you can get a PC built in the same range as mine. I have virtually the same (or slightly better) than the article's AMD budget build (my year old last generation graphics card is equivalent to a 4850).

When I had to get the 3870x2 repaired in my system, I switched to the integrated HD 3200 780G graphics and it played Lord of the Rings: Mines of Moria at medium/high settings. A 780G would play WoW without any issues (and the Nvidia wouldn't be far behind if you went with the Intel build), so I definitely recommend avoiding the E-Machines Celeron and getting a custom build.

If you don't trust a computer shop, try to find a store like Fry's that can build it for you. Fry's is only in California, Arizona and Texas, but other big box PC and electronics stores might do the same if they also sell components like motherboards and CPU's. There are also reputable online custom builders, but since I build my own and buy components from Newegg or Fry's, I'm not up to speed on the online build recommendations.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Edited to add that I just checked out that E-Machines at Walmart online where it's $498. That definitely makes it a bad idea. Both the $538 entry level builds have it outclassed, and the $831 budget builds would allow you to be a bit more future proof for games and applications over the next 2-3 years.

jaywarren

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Its $398 with 19" widescreen. I know its not the best, but just want to play WoW. But dont want to spend to much. I have put graphics cards in but just dont know if I want to try to build just yet.

That e-Machines he's looking at is $498 with a 19" LCD monitor. Fairly inexpensive considering.

However, jaywarren, if you can afford it, I'd suggest not buying an e-Machines. They are a very budget oriented manufacturer. They're known for cheap, not quality. It'll check email, browse the internet, but isn't something I'd use for gaming.

Anything with a Celeron processor is a bad idea for gaming, plain and simple.

It is indeed possible to build a computer for not much more money, that'll annihilate that one you're looking at. Especially if you can, or know someone who can build it for you.

Otherwise, find a local computer shop and see how cheap they can build you something to play WoW with. You don't need a screaming machine to play WoW. Though if you want to play other more modern games, you may need better. But if all you care about is WoW, it won't take to much.

Biggest suggestion: Discrete Graphics (Not integrated)

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Then I'd consider the following if you don't want to go over $400:

Phenom X3 8400 with HD3200 graphics (it's a 780G board):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103188

Only $369, and just as my integrated graphics played Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria at medium/high settings, it should play WoW until you get a add in card. With OEM PC's skimping on the power supplies, I don't recommend anything higher than a 4830, but that will be fine for gaming at up to 22" LCD resolutions.

I don't think it comes with a monitor, but you can pick up the following for around a hundred:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009139

You can check out Newegg's OEM Intel builds, but most would have Intel integrated graphics and might have similarly bad for entry level gaming Celerons. Don't go with anything below an E7200 or E7300 for an Intel CPU.

If you insist on the E-Machines, get a 4650 or 4830 right away and don't try Wrath of the Liche King with Intel integrated graphics.

nsimo86

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I see you gave up on building your own.

I think you should just go with this dell and drop in either a radeon 4650 or a geforce 9600gt.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspndt_530?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~inspndt_530_anav7~~

I know it only has a 300 watt powersupply but my roommate is running a 4650 in his 3 year old gateway no problem.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

This is true, but keep in mind that WoW is nearly a 4 year old game. At this time, Athlon 64 were top of the line! I think (for WoW), even that celeron should be fine. Put a $40-$50 8500GT and you should be able to play the game smoothly at medium settings.

jaywarren

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
No I think I still want to build one just not yet. I want to read up on it and buy 1 peace at a time.

I have 5 people in the house that use computers so I will need more then one.
I would just like to get something to play WoW for now. I have a addiction to the game and if I stop playing I might be in danger of getting a life.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

You could get the Acer AMD triple core 8750 from Newegg or the Dell E7300 nsimo86 recommended and add a 4650.

However, I don't think either comes with a monitor. If you held off on the 4650, you could get the Acer and buy the monitor I recommended, but the Dell has Intel integrated graphics and needs an add in card.

I know the E-Machines with the monitor is appealing, but it's a bad deal because it has the worst dual core CPU possible for even light gaming. It has the worst integrated graphics.

I'd go with the most recent AMD or Nvidia integrated graphics at a minimum. That way you can afford the monitor. Out of the Acer, Dell or E-Machines, the Acer 8750 has the most future proofing, but in games it's just behind the E7300 in framerates (but not far behind):

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e7300-pdc-e5200_6.html#sect0

Half Life 2:

E7300: 142.22 fps

8750: 129.84 fps

World in Conflict:

E7300: 66 fps

8750: 58 fps

Crysis:

E7300: 25.26 fps

8750: 22.88

Anandtech recommends the 8750 for an $800 AMD build and it's available in the Acer at a very good price. $369 plus $105 for the 19" monitor comes to $474 plus shipping.

Though you'd do best with a graphics card later, I doubt that Wrath of the Liche King's performance is worse than Mines of Moria and it is playable on an HD3200 780G board integrated graphics. When I got my graphics card back in the system, I only went to high/very high settings and I was actually impressed how well MoM looked at medium/high with the IGP.

So, the big question is does your $550 budget have to include a monitor? If it does, then get the Acer and the $105 monitor I linked to, or get the Dell and buy a 4650 right away, and look for a used monitor locally. You can pick up used monitors very cheaply at times, especially if you tolerate a 17" CRT until you can afford better.

Your choice, but I'm partial to the 8750. As more titles use more cores, it will catch up to the E7300 at stock and you won't be overclocking any of your OEM choices, so headroom is not an issue.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

well wow has gotten better with expansion packs ever so slightly and It is just your taste personally I hate playing wow on low or even medium setting; it ticks me off.

jaywarren

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Ok nsimo, I will do it. I will build one! I have gone back and forth all day. But I guess the build is the right way to go. Anyone of you guys live in central Wisconsin if I get stuck?

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
if you're building your own, do a check list of all the parts you'll need first.
And think about if you'll want to upgrade this PC eventually this might change some of the parts you'll want to buy.

Good luck and you'll see it's very easy...

nsimo86

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I'm not pushing you to do it, but honestly since you are just playing WoW that dell system with a radeon 4650 is a very good option. Plus you get the warranty. If I were you I'd probably just go that route.

well if you have to add a grphics card you would have had to know for sure it has a free port for it and also make sure the power supply could handle the graphics card cause if not then the power supply could have popped and possibly take out your new PC. with DIY builds you know each and every part that is going in the computer and do not have to deal with poor tech support. If you never built a system then see if anyone you know is good with computers and let them build it for you

nsimo86

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
it does have free port, the PSU is fine for a 4650, and he hasnt built one before and doesnt know anyone who has. Just looking for an inexpensive machine to play WoW.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

You're right. My mistake. I was using the drop down menu and looking at different OEM systems with Toliman X3's at Newegg. This Acer has an x3 8650 with the 780G, but it's $549.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103151

I had 8750 in my head but provided the wrong link. I had meant to provide the 8650. It's close enough to the 8750 that his experience would have been the same.

Still, if he was going to buy OEM and spend the same amount as that dual core Celeron, the 8400 is a better deal, especially considering the onboard graphics.

I'm glad he'll try building his own. It's easier than most people think. Anyone who can insert a graphics card and set it up should be able to build their own.

The E7300 is incrementally better in games right now at stock, but the X3 8750 is good too. Anandtech was spot on in their sub $1,000 PC article.

If I were the OP, I'd wait a bit and see how Phenom II prices affect Agena's, and how Intel responds.

I am so tempted to switch the 8750 out for a Phenom II 920 when income tax time comes, as Gigabyte has a bios for my board that supports Phenom II. I'll wait to see independent benchies first though, it might not be 20% improvement as reported.

The E7300's a good CPU, but he'll need to factor in a monitor in addition to the 4650. My point was with an ATI HD3200, he could wait on the discrete GPU until he can afford it and put the difference into a $105 19" LCD.

The worst thing about AMD buying ATI in my opinion was the end of ATI chipsets and integrated graphics for Intel motherboards.

jaywarren

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Ok next question. When getting case is the one you listed easy to work with? What is the best case for a newbe? Size is no bid deal, just want easy to use and fit? Also the motherboard you recommended to me. Do you know if the instructions are as easy to use as any other board? I will play a few more $$ to if there is a begging friendlier parts.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Mobos are just a big jigsaw puzzle, if you take your time and have the layout in the manual in front of you then you cant go wrong.

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Usually you should get "how to install..." sheet or guide with almost each part you're going to buy... Some of those guide/sheet are very easy to follow and most have pictures.

And usually the only tool you'll need is a screwdriver.

nsimo86

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008

yes the antec 300 is a well built case that alot of people use. That mobo is made by gigabyte right? If so you shouldnt have a problem as they are a top brand.

But still the total price of that system i laid out is about the same as going with the dell except you'd be using a hd 4650 instead of a 4850 which i dont think would have much impact in a old game like WoW. If you're feeling apprehensive about building your own, I'd just get the dell.