Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU and MB Temperatures higher with new cooler!

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
January 31, 2010 2:18:02 AM

Ahoy-hoy.

I am planning to OC my q6600 2.44 core 2 quad cpu, so I just installed a Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus on my 775 socket cpu and my new temperatures are hotter than my old temp's with the stock cooler!

The stock cooler had the fan pointing down to the mobo, while my new 120mm fan is pointing to the back of my case to the rear exhaust fan, i suppose that could explain the increase in the mobo temp.

Still shouldn't i expect lower temperature at idle temperatures not just while on load?

Assuming i applied thermal paste properly and the heat sink is touching the cpu flatly, are my numbers normal?

I am only looking only at my idle temperatures. Fan is set to performance mode, approx 1300-2000rpm.
Because i can't set my fan with my mobo manually.

System
Asus P5k-E wifi
8800 GT TOP
4X 1gb OCZ PC2-6400
2XWD 250g
1xWD Raptor 150gb

Old temperatures (in celcius)
cpu 37-41
mb 35 max

New
cpu 40-46
mb 36-40


Any insight is greatly appreciated, as i will be re-installing soon.
Cheers
January 31, 2010 2:44:19 AM

sure you got the fan blowing towards the rear exhaust fan? if you installed in the wrong direction you could be blowing the hot air off the heatsink IN to the case which would cause higher temps. Make sure you have the fan blowing THROUGH the heatsink out the back of the case.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 31, 2010 2:48:20 AM

Yep, try reinstalling. Care to share your TIM methods? Brand? Pea dot, spread, lines etc? You should be for sure cooler than that.

You also didn't mention fan speed and what your load temps are.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 31, 2010 2:59:30 AM

Conumdrum said:
Yep, try reinstalling. Care to share your TIM methods? Brand? Pea dot, spread, lines etc? You should be for sure cooler than that.

You also didn't mention fan speed and what your load temps are.



Okay, so i am using arctic silver 5, with the pea dot method on the cpu, i used a piece of glass to squish the paste across the cpu to the edges in the shape of a circle, so the entire cpu wasn't covered in paste,
if you can imagine a circle inside of a box, that's the coverage i got.

My cpu fan speed is sitting at just under 2000 rpm, 2000 being the max, right now my temps are cpu 41 mb 37.

Interestingly enough i installed prime95, then had to do a memory restore because it was using up 100% of my cpu when it was turned off, then my cpu temp jumped to 50 plus and my cpu re-booted.
m
0
l
January 31, 2010 3:02:34 AM

adamh9 said:
sure you got the fan blowing towards the rear exhaust fan? if you installed in the wrong direction you could be blowing the hot air off the heatsink IN to the case which would cause higher temps. Make sure you have the fan blowing THROUGH the heatsink out the back of the case.



Yup, air is blowing out of the back of the heatsink, not into the case.
m
0
l
January 31, 2010 3:09:25 AM

i think possibly your problem might be because the heatsink is direct heatpipe to cpu contact, which tends to make contact a little more uneven. I would try using more thermal paste and just do a line down the middle horizontally, just like the AS5 website directions state to do for a quad core. BTW....what size is your rear exhaust fan, and if any what other fans do you have on your case?
m
0
l
January 31, 2010 3:10:15 AM

your cpu fan may be generating to much air that your case doesn;t have the capacity to move out. trapping the hot air inside.
m
0
l
January 31, 2010 5:13:41 AM

adamh9 said:
i think possibly your problem might be because the heatsink is direct heatpipe to cpu contact, which tends to make contact a little more uneven. I would try using more thermal paste and just do a line down the middle horizontally, just like the AS5 website directions state to do for a quad core. BTW....what size is your rear exhaust fan, and if any what other fans do you have on your case?



Thank's for the link, surprisingly it said there's a 200hr break in period in which the temp may drop 2 to 5 degrees.

I will apply the paste the way the AS5 web site says, but they don't say which type of heat sink they tested it with. Probably not my hdt type

As for my fans my exhaust fan is a 120 and i think my video card fan is a 90mm or so. Thats it for fans. Am thinking of putting a cooler on my ram.

Ohh thats odd, seems like my ps fan isn't spinning!
m
0
l
January 31, 2010 5:26:04 AM

Forget that last, my ps fan is spinning....time for sleep..... izz good!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 31, 2010 1:31:17 PM

You MUST apply the paste properly for a HDT cooler. Smashing the blob with a piece of glass before applying any cooler is a new one on me, I really don't think that was the right way, hehe. Not even for a regular flat metal HS.
m
0
l
January 31, 2010 6:47:35 PM

Conumdrum said:
You MUST apply the paste properly for a HDT cooler. Smashing the blob with a piece of glass before applying any cooler is a new one on me, I really don't think that was the right way, hehe. Not even for a regular flat metal HS.



Yea, i guess when i remove the glass i get a chance for air bubbles to be formed. The only good thing from doing that is it really

shows how much pressure is needed to evenly spread the paste.

I think i will try the link that Adamh9 provided. The only reason i didn't use that method was because i read on the cooler master

web site that the crevases between the copper pipes are for excess thermal paste. So if i fill them up prior to applying the

paste, i might end up with too much grease. Also i won't be able to see the results unless i lift up the heat sink.

I will do a practice go at it to find the right amount first.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
February 1, 2010 4:28:03 AM

Excellent, your on the right track. I been at this for ohh almost 20 years now and I still like to apply the paste, tighten it down, take it back off to check with new stuff. You learn a lot that way.

m
0
l
!