Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP

Last response: in Windows XP
March 18, 2011 3:04:22 PM

Can anybody give a DEFINITIVE answer to this problem---if I have not given enough information, I will be glad to oblige.
1. did an in stall of a ATi XFX Radeon HD 5770 video card...followed the instructions to the t according to their manual.
2. installed the driver from their CD
3. did a reboot and bingo, up comes " system file nvgts.sys ( lower case ) is corrupt or missing "
4. I did have an NVidia GE Force 9400 Gt previously
5. here are my specs:

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor
3.0 ghz 2 gb DDR3 RAM
Socket AM3 65W dual-core processor
ASUS motherboard M4A78LT
600 W power supply
160 gb main and 100 gb secondary - BOTH SATA
(2) CD ROMs - BOTH IDE

I have searched all the forums I could find---there are answers blaming this, that, and whomever, BUT NO ANSWERS

What is this?
How to repair?
Who do I have to see and or speak with?

I have had nothing but NVidia for the past 15-18 yrs and now this with ATI.
I only switched because my tech told me ASUS and AMD did not react well with NVidia.

Gentlemen: should I not have enough information, please let me know
I am at my wits end over this, AND MY TECH WHO SOLD ME THIS SYTEM IS BLAMING ME FOR SCREWING UP THE BIOS
I have had computers for 25 yrs and know the importance of not going there, so I don't
I am forever grateful should someone come up with a solution.
I remain, Taichi the champ

More about : windows

a b \ Driver
March 18, 2011 3:11:13 PM

Have a look at this thread and see if anything there helps. The missing file is one of the drivers for the SATA hard disk controller, which explains why it can't boot.

As a matter of interest, have you tried the "Last known good configuration" option from the F8 boot menu?
m
l
March 18, 2011 3:21:06 PM

Will try again, ijack...thank you so much for answering....it would not go into safe mode, JUST WOULD NOT DO ANYTHING... will try again
by the way:
Windows XP PRo SP3
1. Should I find that file on the net, will it work?
2. So, how do I in the most efficient manner, get that file back into Windows\system32\drivers ? This answer will be based on the answer for #1
All this is being done on my backup computer...
will try safe mode again and F8
once again, my many thanks......
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2011 3:21:54 PM

Will try again, ijack...thank you so much for answering....it would not go into safe mode, JUST WOULD NOT DO ANYTHING... will try again
by the way:
Windows XP PRo SP3
1. Should I find that file on the net, will it work?
2. So, how do I in the most efficient manner, get that file back into Windows\system32\drivers ? This answer will be based on the answer for #1
All this is being done on my backup computer...
will try safe mode again and F8
once again, my many thanks......
m
l
March 18, 2011 3:25:40 PM

Ijack...that thread just tells me to reload NVidia drivers....this is an ATI Radeon install when the problem occurred...thanks, guy
m
l
a b \ Driver
March 18, 2011 3:36:21 PM

I think the implication is that you have an NVidia chipset on your motherboard as the driver is a SATA one. It's nothing to do with graphics cards.
m
l
March 18, 2011 4:12:57 PM

ok here is where we are:
1. tried safe mode,,,,,,nothing same message
2. tried netwoeking,,,,,ditto
3. tried " R" from disk ....ditto
4. tried debugging...ditto
5. tried ther original disk...ditto

i found that file on the net....
query?

can i make my ASUS main computer boot HD..SATA ....into a slave on this computer and transfer the file into the system2 directory?
an answer to your statement....i know...everybody is telling me to install the nvidia driver....I unistalled the nvidia driver so i could install the ATI Radeon...that is exactly where this whole mess started, on the reboot with the new radeon driver.
at this point, my new computer is a paperweight; all the suggestions are blaming everybody else....
ijack thanks for your help so far...its been pleasant
m
l
!