Sign in with
Your question

XFX IS A JOKE/ TERRIBLE SUPPORT -HELP ME!

Last response: in Components
January 6, 2009 8:52:19 PM

Specs=
cpu=qx6850
board=780i xfx
Memory=crucial balistic 1066 pc 8500 2 gb
power= pc power and cooling 750w
video=6600 xfx gt
(The video card is temp build in progress)
hard drve= 300gb velciraptor

Guys,

You have been more supportive then a corperation. Xfx has the worst help desk/support system. my problems are 4E errors. Alot of you guy pointed to the memory. This is a tuff one becuz it works then it does not work.

EXAMPLE: when i come home and turn it on it give me 4e error. When i reset the memory to the board its boots to a 7f code on the board. i go in to bios and then reboot. boots with out issue. when it hit the 7f code it says "please reseat cpu or clear out memory freq/voltage" the timing on my.

also when it does boot and on for awhile, it will not give me the 4e error when i reboot. its werid. when i dont use it for more then 2 hours and then i turn it on it will give me the 4e error. i'm so disapointed in this board. can we please keep this a POSITIVE THREAD no told ya so's please. HELP ME GUYS !!! HELP MEEEEEE...my girlfriend is starting to tell me i should of went with a dell...if she says that agian i might jump off a bridge. also what boards are you guy running with? i want my system to be STABLE!!! thanks fella's always a pleasure. keep it fresh.

FYI i've changed the voltage and timing to the specs from crucial.
January 6, 2009 9:02:15 PM

just to point thing out that intel boards are more stable then NVIDIA chipsets; also NVIDIA chipsets have some issue's
January 6, 2009 9:02:56 PM

i'm completly AWARE thank you
Related resources
January 6, 2009 10:19:03 PM

do you have any different RAM to test your board with?
i am running the evga 780i and never once had any issue with it going on 9 months now. i would try different RAM if you have it and if not, run one stick at a time to try to isolate the bad stick. some suggest testing using the furthest memory slot from the CPU. never tried it because i never had to. hope that helps.
January 6, 2009 10:28:06 PM

Roofus what kinda memory do you have
January 6, 2009 10:40:24 PM

Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 4GB (2x2GB)
January 6, 2009 10:42:10 PM

I also ran Patriot Viper RAM in it for a while but put it back on my DFI board after the Corsair arrived.
January 6, 2009 11:01:03 PM

Defo seems like RAM problem - might be worth checking the voltage requirements for your Corsair RAM.... so brands require higher voltages
January 6, 2009 11:05:27 PM

well he said he set it to the manufacturer spec. i would imagine it isnt over 2.1?
January 6, 2009 11:09:10 PM

XFX has great customer service bro! The best I've ever seen. What did they do to piss you off?

The Crucial Balistix kits are extremely notorious for incompatibilities with ANY nvidia board. See if you can not get some other RAM in it to see what happens.
January 6, 2009 11:16:02 PM

good point Raven. it is on their compatability list but people struggle to make it work. a few guys succeed but i call them lucky. for that board i would buy OCZ, Corsair or Patriot. they are a bit fussy
January 6, 2009 11:22:10 PM

So what kinda ram do you guy suggest? I will purches it right now. i want to resolve this. Xfx took 7 days to return a response from there "ticket system".
January 6, 2009 11:24:07 PM

what is your budget?
January 6, 2009 11:24:14 PM

By the way thanks guys, :) 
January 6, 2009 11:25:41 PM

200$ but maybe i should buy 2 sticks to find out wether its board or memory
January 6, 2009 11:28:57 PM

also what so you think of the rig i built so far if i work this bug out.
January 6, 2009 11:30:01 PM

The dominator seems to be the best deal. You think i should go with it?
January 6, 2009 11:30:23 PM

the third kit i listed i have and keep laying loose to test systems with. it works on every single thing its ever been put in flawlessly. picked it up at Fry's for 40 bucks LAST January.
January 6, 2009 11:33:13 PM

i like the parts. you get the RAM and a nice video card/s you will be a happy camper. i am running the Dominators right now. i like them just fine!
January 6, 2009 11:37:22 PM

thanks roofus you're the man, i am ordering the dominator now.
January 6, 2009 11:41:47 PM

good luck drot. hope it works out well for you. install 1 stick, boot up, set the voltage and timings, save changes power down then install stick 2. should be set after that.
January 6, 2009 11:45:53 PM

Yea, I'm going to do that. DEF i learned my lesson lol. I ripped everything out after a really clean install (lots of wireties)
January 6, 2009 11:46:15 PM

spent a whole day being pissed at this pc
January 6, 2009 11:48:08 PM

DAMN IT!! I'm sorry I was busy. The dominator series also has compatibility issues with nvidia boards! If you have already ordered them then I can help if you get errors. I had to do it twice when I got dominator kits for really cheap. Lucky, unlike god damn crucial memory, these problems can be fixed... though not easily.
January 6, 2009 11:49:53 PM

???details
January 6, 2009 11:54:56 PM

you had issues with Corsair Raven? that and Patriot are the two brands I have seen the least problems with lol
January 7, 2009 12:07:18 AM

Yes the PC I built my step father has a 750i and the Corsair Dominator sticks did not work, at ALL. Also I have seen the issues happen a few times. drotondi if you haven't ordered yet then this is great RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

To roofus, G.skill and Patriot are the only brands that I have had total success with. Crucial and Corsair are the only ones I have had a lot of problems with. Also Corsair RAM tends to be grossly overpriced as well.

If you did order it already then you might have issues depending on the model. If you do it IS fixable however so it is not a big deal. And besides you might also not have any problems so don't worry, either way you should be ok. Also remember we are not totally sure about the RAM being the problem though it is very likely. Keep us posted, regardless.
January 7, 2009 12:13:44 AM

yea i sure hope its the RAM so this guy can end his nightmare.
a b } Memory
January 7, 2009 12:47:59 AM

Quote:
The Crucial Balistix kits are extremely notorious for incompatibilities with ANY nvidia board.

Gotta agree with that. Many people have problems with the DDR2 1066 Ballastix, even me on a P45.

The Ballastix/Crucial were the rage a few years ago, quality was superb, but they are slipping now :( .
January 7, 2009 12:50:32 AM

yea i didnt want to make the guy feel worse but the crucial didnt work out too well in on my buddy's computer. he took it back and got the Kingston HyperX and problem solved.
!