Will the Scythe Mugen 2 fit?

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
If you have the ram with you measure it from the motherboard to the top of the ram module. I am looking at your motherboard's design and it appears the CPU socket is around maybe 1 1/2inch~ away from the first ram slot.

The Mugen 2 is 5 inches in length, 4 inches in depth, and 6.2 inches in height. My current motherboard's design (a Biostar TA790GX 128m has a similar design to yours in terms of distance between CPU socket/Memory socket.

I have a core contact freezer which has similar specifications as the Mugen 2.

Now I do know the CCF mounts on the cpu socket going length wise with the socket's 2 locking mechanisms. So the determining factor of whether or not the Mugen 2 will fit are: The computer case. I am sure the width will not impede with the RAM. However the fan on the heatsink must be placed on the incorrect side for it to fit. Look at the diagram below to give an idea..

Diagram.jpg

The memory slot closest to the cpu socket is the problem. The extra tall memory heatspreaders like the Ripjaw will interfere with the heatsink fan.

Do you already have the memory? How many memory modules do you have? If you do not have the memory, then purchase memory modules with standard heatspreaders. They will not interfere with the heatsink fan. Tom's Hardware and other sites have conducted thermal tests which clearly demonstrate that the tall heatspreaders do not improve memory cooling. For all practical purpose it is an advertising gimmick. In fact, for best memory cooling, memory modules with no heatspreaders are recommended. The heatsink fan is so close to the memory modules that it does a good job of cooling as air is being drawn over the modules. If you already have the memory and you only have two modules, then you can install them in the third and fourth memory slots from the cpu. They will not be in the way. If you have four memory modules, then you have a problem. If possible, exchange them.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
As I have already stated the memory modules won't be an issue as long as the fan goes on the opposing side to the RAM. I have extra tall heat spreaders on my ram as well, the heat sink fits (core-contact freezer), the only issue is the fan mounting had to go on the opposite side. The Mugen 2 appears to mount length wise going vertical to the motherboard the same as my core-contact freezer.

The only factors left to check are case size. To make sure there's enough space at the top of the case for length, and between side panel/motherboard for height.

The Mugen 2 is 5 inches in length so considering it sits in the middle, your going to need around 2 inches of clearance from the end of the CPU socket facing the top of the case, to the top of the case itself.

AsAnAtheist - That is an unconventional configuration you described. I am surprised you didn't mention that the Mugen2 fin spacing is very tight. It's a little different from other heatsinks. Optimal cooling occurs when two fans are used in a push / pull configuration. It was covered in technical reviews.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Yes however due to the first memory slot closest to the CPU the fan cannot be placed so a push/pull approach is not possible due to the fact that there is no space for the second fan. The one fan that will fit has to go on the opposite side of the ram modules.

Yes that means next to the rear exhaust fan. If you have a fan controller you can easily set the exhaust fan down to lower fan speeds, or turn it off. If you can do neither, switching the exhaust fan into intake fan can help. However you MUST have top exhaust fans.

The design I listed is taking into consideration the way the heatsink is mounted. While it is not the best positioning in terms of the fan, it is one of the few ways to fit it inside without buying new memory modules with standard size heat spreaders.

The question in mind is will it fit, I am merely showing different approaches to fit the Mugen 2.

HeroicHero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Wow, thanks for all the help. While I will be using only two sticks of RAM, it'd be nice to have those slots available. The problem is, Ripjaw is pretty much the cheapest DDR3 1600 RAM on newegg. Would I be any better off with the Hyper 212+? I can set up the 212+ with push/pull for only slighlty more than the mugen with one fan. Would my RAM clearance be any better? If not, what coolers could you suggest for my configuration? I don't plan on much OC'ing since I'm running on air cooling (so maybe 400MHz, 500 if I'm lucky).

Thanks again.

With just two memory modules there is no problem; no need to exhange components; and no need to purchase anything. :D

Install the two memory modules in the third and fourth memory slots from the cpu. That will give you room to install the Mugen2 with airflow in a front to back configuration. You could also add a second heatsink fan in a push/pull configuration for a little bit of extra cooling. That would give you one fan on the "front" of the heatsink, one fan on the "rear" of the heatsink, and the fan on the rear case panel. They'll be lined up to create a nice wind tunnel effect.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Oh LOL I missed the fact that his motherboard has 4 slots. Hahaha silly me. Thank's JohnnyLucky for bringing up that fact.

aoichan0707

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I just purchased a Mugen 2 last night, and I didn't realize there was only one set of fan clips.... So, I looked around online. Scythe has a listing on their site for $1.90 per set, but the Buy Now button seems to be non-functional. Another option is Microcenter, but they charge $9.99! I found a couple other sites which carried them but the cost was around $4-5, and quite close to $10 after shipping....I'm hoping Scythe gets that Buy Now button fixed, cause $1.90 is a steal!

My Asus Sabertooth 55i had one 3 pin cpu-fan header and one chassis_fan1 header next to each other near the bottom rear corner of the cpu. I plugged the front cpu fan into the cpu_fan header and the rear cpu fan into the chassis_fan1 header. I did not enable the PWM fan control features in BIOS. Instead the fans run full speed. I used two Scythe S-Flex 1200 rpm fans. 1200 rpm's is the sweet spot for my heatsink and the noise level is acceptable.

The chassis_fan1 header was actually meant for the case fan on the rear panel. I ran the cable for that case fan out of sight behind the motherboard tray where I daisy chained it with the two case fans in the top panel and connected them to the psu.

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

One fan blows air in, one sucks air out. :p

I have the MSI 790FX-GD70 and located around the board are about 3 3-pin connectors for fans (called Sys_Fan1,2,3). If you can't locate any 3/4-pin connectors in your mobo, make sure the fans you buy have 4-pin molex connectors to attach to your PSU (full speed only, unless you have a fan controller).

I'm currently using a bottom->up config and I didn't see any change in temps compared to a front->back config. This is with a Scythe Mugen 2 (A-type) with the stock fan. However, I have an Antec 902 case with the top 200mm fan sucking in med speed (108CFM) and it almost acts as a "puller", especially at high speed (134CFM).

2m4oswz.jpg

The mounting clips can be made using paper clips as a cheap alternative, what's a free paperclip to a 10 dollar mounting clip? I will be trying this out next week when I get my Yate Loon fan. :D