Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Making my own power switch connectors for mobo?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Cases
  • Power Switch
Last response: in Motherboards
February 11, 2009 4:30:30 AM

I am transferring a new motherboard to an old case. Problem is, the power sw, reset, etc are on one ribbon and that is connected to a circuit board. I would like to make my own power switch or at least link it to an existing switch on the case. I am looking for the plastic piece that connects the pins to the wire. They are either single or double, allowing one or two pins to be connected.
Does anyone know the proper name for these plastic pin connectors that I can connect a wire and attach it to a pin?
I dont know where I can buy these plastic connectors. Anyone know?

More about : making power switch connectors mobo

February 11, 2009 12:56:22 PM

I can't remember what they are called but they are modular and can be reconfigured. By using a pin or the tip of a hobby knife, the individual wires and conncectors can be removed from the plastic housing. If your case or an old case has an extra wire for turbo switch or green led or something, cut it out and attach it to the switch on the case you want to use. With a little research and disassebly, its a good learning project and mod. I have chaged connectors from 2 pin to 3 and vice versa many times.
Related resources
February 11, 2009 7:23:54 PM

Thanks. That is a great find. I wonder if you know if there are wholesalers or other businesses that sale the plastic connectors by themselves so I can buy them as cheap as possible without attached switches and wires.

Also, do you know the proper name for these plastic pieces so I can search for them elsewhere?
Thanks again
February 11, 2009 7:25:35 PM

DiscoDuck said:
I can't remember what they are called but they are modular and can be reconfigured. By using a pin or the tip of a hobby knife, the individual wires and conncectors can be removed from the plastic housing. If your case or an old case has an extra wire for turbo switch or green led or something, cut it out and attach it to the switch on the case you want to use. With a little research and disassebly, its a good learning project and mod. I have chaged connectors from 2 pin to 3 and vice versa many times.

How do you use a hobby knife of other tool to remove the wires from the block pin connectors (and to add other wires)? Also, some blocks have a blocked pin. I wonder if I can remove that too.