Phenom II X3 720 Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So in my sig there is a rig with a phenom II 720 and last night I decided to start using it, but when I test the CPU I get failures on Prim95 and OCCT when I have my memory set to it's default speed of 1066. But when I down clock the memory to DDR2 800 I pass all of the tests. The only part I have swapped out was my 550W antec psu for my 500 watt thermaltake. Reducing speed to me in absolutely unacceptable as the computer ran rock solid before this. Also I've ran with 4GB installed at 1066 and passed all of the tests. To double check I tried this twice, 2 separate pairs in both memory banks (2x2). Can SOMEONE shed some light on this?

Solution
yep, if you want to run more than 4GB it will automatically default to 800Mhz but that barlely impairs the performance since 1066Mhz is really 800Mhz designed to run a bit faster at higher voltages.
G

Well evidently I am a complete idiot. After doing quite a bit of research I have learned that due to a CPU limitation on the AM2+ platform (aka DDR2 memory channel) it is not supported to run 8 GB at 1066mhz. I've followed my manufacture's instructions (I run Patriot Viper DDR2 1066 rated at 2.1V) I can run 4 GB all day long (explained as I can run 1 DIMM or Stick at 1066 per channel) since that is the max my CPU will take at high speed. I understand that AMD had to go to downclocking since there are no official specs for DDR2 1066 at the moment. This might be old data, but apparently it was common enough knowledge that I missed out on. Damn. Maybe I should go for a DDR3 motherboard/AM3 setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.