Weird Windows 7 Sleep Issue

makxp77

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Hello All,

I have a weird issue, after my computer falls asleep , I go back into my office to move either the mouse or hit a letter on the Keyboard, the result is my system powers back up with all 5 fans running , hard drive light reading and optical drives blinking green 4-5 times. Issue is I have no lights on my keyboard or a signal to my dual displays. Any ideas would help I am about to throw the computer through the Window, I have been working on a fix for days.

I have all the latest Drivers
I have system configured to S3
Made sure my hardware properties allow for Keyboard and mouse to wakeup system
I have made sure all my hardware is s3 compatible in device manger under their power properties
I have tried different combinations with no luck in power properties and motherboard BIOS

After I turn off the battery backup then back on , everything comes on again then I see on my screen resuming windows and it runs really slow.

Hardware:

Gigabyte 990xa-ud3 Motherboard
AMD 64 x4 965 CPU Black
16GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 Memory
Dual ATI 5670 HD - Video Cards
Two Western Digital Black 1 TB Hard Drives (AHCI)
Two LG DVDRW 22X Burners
5 Fans in Antec Three Hundred Case
OCZ ModXStream Pro Power supply - 700 Watt
Epson 610 Printer
APC XS1300 Battery Backup
Acer 23" Monitor and LG 21" Monitor

Any help would be great and well appreciated!

Thanks Michael

ender2003

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I have seen similar issues with ATI firepro video cards if the driver is a little off. If you are running the latest version from the ATI website, make sure that the ATI software is installed as well. Otherwise, try running Update Driver on the device and just verify again that there are no new drivers.

We ran into this at my work after we put in 23 new computers and had to go install the ATI software from the disk on every computer. Issue was almost exactly the same, I can't remember 100% if the keyboard lights were on or not.

makxp77

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Yeah I plugged it into the wall , it still went to sleep and would not wake up , weird thing is I took it to a work bench hooked a different monitor to it useing a simple vga cable and now it goes to sleep 100% and wakes up , I am wondering if the graphics cards HD Audi or DVI is messing with waking up or maybe crossfire x? I did install the latest catalyst suite from amd.com

makxp77

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Ok here is what I did , I removed the HDMI connection to my video card to my 2nd monitor and only kept the DVI connected to my main monitor, so far my computer is going to sleep and waing up normal , I will continue testing over the weekend, I guess Windows 7 Sleep does not like HDMI on my ATI Raedon 5670 Card?

Thanks Michael

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
You're not alone, I have several labs worth of computers that do this exact same thing. It's bullsh*t and real pain in the @$$ to deal with right after imaging 100+ computers. From my experience with this issue so far, it seems to have something to do with having a dual monitor setup. Sometimes I can wait like 20 minutes and the computer will finally fully resume from sleep. Most of the time though I have to ctrl+alt+del during the 'Resuming Windows' screen to make it restart and prompt me with the option to "Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot."

At first I thought maybe it was a driver issue, but I don't think so in my case. In my situation, I made an image from an identical computer with only one monitor and the resuming from standy completes perfectly everytime. As soon as I deployed that image to the many identical lab computers with dual monitors, the issue appeared. Both of these monitors were connected using DVI using Quadro FX350 cards. I have to figure this out soon, just haven't had time to yet as I have other labs to support before I can devote time to this highly annoying issue. I'll definitely post back here if I can find a definite solution though, as well as keep an eye here in case somebody else finds one.

makxp77

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
The problem is believed to be fixed, I simply unplug my second monitor from the HDMI from the back of my Asus 5670 (I do not use it period) and leave my DVi-D monitor plugged in and now my computer goes to sleep and wakes up as it should.

Now remember I have used current drivers catalyst etc , even went 2 version of drivers back and used my Asus CD drivers to resolve this issue with no luck, i even disabled HDMI sound in my device properties and still no luck, both AMD and ASUS tech support have been emailed with information regarding this.

So if youh ave a Graphics card and your Windows 7 will not go to sleep try unpluggin the HDMI connection and hook it up DVI and test from there. It's sad it took me 4 days and 8-9 hours totoal of testing everything for one HDMI connection issue though oh well , now I know to add this to the notes for any future related customer issues.

Thank you everyone for the help and feedback.

BTW There is no option in Windows for Hibernate for my system :(

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
You folks overclocking? An aggressive o/c will cause my computer not only to not resume but will corrupt my UEFI BIOS... Throttle back to stock and work your way up slowly. I can get only 4GHz on a SB mobo before sleep craps out.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
makxp77, I have actually solved this issue I had with my labs. Turns out the computers just needed a BIOS update. The problem I had was getting an updated BIOS because the computers were Sun Ultra 24's and Oracle had bought Sun. The bast@rds woudln't let us download the drivers/bios without a god **** maintenance contract. But, once we were finally able to acquire an somewhat updated BIOS, I was able to test it and verify that it solved the issue for all of my computers. I have just solved this issue for myself about 2 weeks ago, but I had forgotten about this thread until Johnprombrio posted agian.

So, have you tried the latest BIOS yet? Or, is it even still a problem for you?

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006

Sooo, just DAYS after I posted about my sleep issues and o/cing and ASUS comes out with a new BIOS update. AND IT FIXED THE DAMN PROBLEM! Only took them a YEAR before they got their UEFI BIOS on my P8P67 EVO to run at 4.3 GHz and will successfully wake from sleep. BIOS issue was 2103. To think, all the damn time I spent trying everything I could think of and it was a damn BIOS issue...

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

Oh yea, I had the problem for about 2 years with 150 or so computers. It was pretty god damn annoying...

I have found the same thing with my Asus board. The solution was to turn off the BIOS option "RePOST video on s3 wake" or something like that.

I spent a lot of time looking in the wrong place because I was totally confused by win7's "hybrid sleep," which writes a hiberfile before going into sleep mode.

SlyDaCat

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I have had same issue with windows 7 with a brand new pc 'fix was to disable sleep mode and set drive to never turn off and all other parts to not turn off ...never have a problem now ... the power settings or w.e in control panel...it sucked to have the 'screen isnt gettin signal crap n black screeens all the time ...hitting esc seemed to work sometimes but not always :bounce: