PsychoSnowman

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Hey, I'm kinda new to this crap, and this was my first build. I used the hard drive from my old store-bought GM5084, but that shouldn't cause any errors. Just cause it to be slower. It worked great for 2 months, and just now when I tried to boot it up this morning, it did what it usually did at first: Showed my graphics card data. But, after that, it just said "No Signal"... Here's my build:

Biostar A740G Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 Processor

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Memory

Western Digital 320 GB 7200 RPM PATA Hard Drive

XFX GeForce 8600 GT (Zalman-cooled edition) Video card

Rosewill RP-500-2 Power supply

Antec 900 Case

Windows XP Home

All of the lights and fans work, so I don't think it's a power-supply issue. And about half the time I try to boot it up it reads my graphics card and then displays nothing, the rest of the time, it doesn't read anything and goes right to No-Signal. It makes all the beeping noises when I turn it on, and every part makes the normal sounds, like it's loading Windows, but it won't show up on the screen.
I have tried many things... swapping out the RAM with some CORSAIR DDR2 800, changing monitors, changing display cords, resetting the BIOS(Even though I haven't edited them anytime recently), re-plugging all of the power cords in, swapping video cards.... nothing seems to work.
And yes, I know that the processor isn't on the compatibility list for my motherboard, but when I bought it I got too excited and just looked at the slot and type to see if it matched. The thing is, that it's worked until now just fine.
My motherboard is crap, and my gut tells me that if I bought a new one, it would probably be fixed. But I'm new to this stuff so I thought I'd ask for help before I go buying new crap that may not help. Anyone know what the problem is most likely? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Viper5030

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Have you tried plugging your monitor into your onboard video? It could be displaying on your onboard video card, which would explain why you hear everything else booting up fine with no picture.

Also, I see no reason why your mobo wouldn't be compatible with your X2 6000. The lastest BIOS update on Biostar's website was release early this year, which should include support for your CPU.

PsychoSnowman

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah, I already tried that too. If I do that, nothing displays at all, but it shouldn't because the on-board video is not set to show info on start-up. I think the error is caused by a faulty processor, because I put my ear next to it and it was making a weird clunking noise, which it didn't do before...