frozen displays :( need halp!

shei_3

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Hai peeps!
I got a problem which i hope you can help me with!
my PC has recently been freezing during video playback and gaming, both MP and SP :(
Ive had my PC for 4years now and realise that i need to get a new graphics card.
Ive been told i need to get a new PC but I don't have enough money to get a new computer outright.
here's my current setup -

System:
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~ 2.2GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM

Current Graphics Card:
Card name: ATI RADEON 9250
Chip type: RADEON 9200 Series AGP (0x5960)
DAC type: Internal DAC(500MHz)
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1152 x 864 (32 bit) (60Hz)

My power supply goes to 350watts total output and the +12v rail is at 18A and the -12v rail is 1A [if that helps?]
Any advice would be most welcome guys :D
thanks in advance!

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I'd have to agree^^^

but since the OP already knows that --- do you have a budget? Does you motherboard have SATA connections? PCIe?

You might be able to get another hard drive and a little better card that you could use down the road.

shei_3

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008

Ok; well thanks for the replies guys!
Here's a paste of my system motherboard info, bc4:

Mainboard
Bus(es) : AGP PCI IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP Support : 1 CPU(s)
MP APIC : Yes

Physical Storage Device
Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
Harddisk : Maxtor 6Y160P0
Harddisk : Maxtor 6L160M0
Harddisk : OEI-USB CompactFlash USB Device
Harddisk : OEI-USB SM/MS/SD USB Device
CD-ROM/DVD : ATAPI COMBO52XMAX

Im not sure about SATA connections though :??: Sorry!

I can play FarCry (original) ok - not totally smooth but still playable
and other games like Dawn of War, Pariah and StarWars Jedi Outcast (old games, I know!)

I know im probably hanging onto the last few strands of hope but is there any chance to keep my system going
just a little bit farther? Im considering getting FarCry2!

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
you could buy a AGP hd 2600, but it would truly be a total waste. Your framerate won't increase much as your CPU is so slow. In games it will freeze or stutter while the Hard drive slowly spins up and fills you slow ram with information. This will happen pretty frequently as you don't have much ram to begin with.
Point: the ability to turn up settings thanks to a better graphics card will be offset by the rest of the system choking and making the game unplayable.

shei_3

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
mate, thanks for the advice ~ you've saved me from wasting money by the sounds of it ;)
Ill save up and get a more up-to-spec PC, i guess it'll be better in the long run!
again thanks.
:D