Disk read error

xbolt

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
When I first turn the computer on in the morning, it gives me a disk read error. So I opened up the case, and didn't do anything other than jiggle wires around. Then I turned it on again, and it booted up just fine. But the next morning, it wouldn't start up again. So I jiggled wires, and it worked.

It's been doing that for about a week now. And I dunno what else I can do to fix it, other than keep jiggling wires around every morning. (Not a great prospect.)

I have three hard drives in there, one with just Windows on it, and the other two for all my files and programs. And also two DVD drives. Maybe I should try unplugging all of them except for the boot drive, and see if it consistently boots up then? Or would that mess up something?

xbolt

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Ok, I just checked the SMART data out, and it looks fine. The only thing it warned me about was that on the two data drives, the Power On Hours Count is below the average limits. The boot drive didn't have any warnings at all.

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
You could safely try your own diagnostic idea; eliminating components. It is possible that your PSU cannot support your high count of drives. I am operating under the perhaps false and wild assumption that you are not overclocking.

xbolt

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
I have a 1200W PSU, so I doubt the problem's that not being beefy enough... And no, I am not overclocking.

So I guess I'll try that then. But how long should I wait before deciding that it consistently starts up properly? The problem, being intermittent, it could work for a while, and make me assume it's fixed without it actually being fixed...

xbolt

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Ok, I had everything unplugged except for the boot drive, and the computer booted up. I shut down and restarted a few times, and it still booted. Then I plugged everything back in, and it booted. Then the computer locked up, and I shut down, and it wouldn't boot. Then I unplugged everything except the boot drive again, and it still won't boot. Still gives me the disk read error.

So I don't know what to do now...

xbolt

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
I just went out to get dinner, and when I got back, I said 'aw, what the heck', and plugged everything back in. And it booted up just fine. It's been on for about an hour now. Maybe an hour and a half, not exactly sure when I got back. I'll try the memory check now.

Heh, if the computer's going to be giving me trouble, I wish it would at least be consistent!

And no, I don't have another PSU laying around. (Unless I wanted to sabotage my other computer, but I don't feel like taking it apart when it's working... Besides, it's an older one, so the PSU may not be enough anyway.)