AMD got all clear for its spinoff from the US

spearhead

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States gave the green light to AMD to create the foundry corperation with the Abu dhabi investment fund. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10133807-64.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

This means the new fab's in new york and matla will be build :D
immidiatly afther the announcement the shares rose about 4.12% ending up 12 cents higher which means AMD now ended up higher then november and the whole month december.

http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:AMD

they announced earlier that the timeline to complete the deal is around march
So you can rub away doom scenario's with the cities dust, this means amd will get a huge cash infusion and get split in two profit making companies. because by splitting in 2 companies they there most expansive operation,the fabs will have multiple straws of income. it won't all have to come from the cpu business but they can make chips for other companies and this will put them into the same business as semi conductor TSMC which has proven to be a vast profit making market.
This also means future die shrinks will be way more affordable and possibly alot faster to implement.
so the topic's of AMD being doomed and Intel having complete dominance in the near future are off for now :kaola:

Yea, theyre so pesky, comi9ng out with the best igps, creating a whole new dynamic for price/perf in gpus, releasing new low wattage cpus for those notebooks, and having a competing cpu too, plus a whole platform, darn, I wish theyd just go away heheh

spearhead

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008

no not fan boy just good news. because if they stay compatitive then intel must lower prices which means we will have our cpu's cheaper bro. And i would like to see Core I7 and its motherboard to drop some 200 euro :D

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
oh boy if the i7s can start around 180 bucks...life would be good..!!

BUT the problem isnt the expensive processors...its the motherboard and ram....they are still sky high...they need to drop in price by 50 percent !!

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

OMG HE MENTIONED SOMETHING GOOD ABOUT AMD SO HE MUST BE A FANBOY.

Seriously. And besides, even if he was fanboying, then this is good for intel fanboys too: If AMD makes better stuff, that creates competition. If AMD creates competition, then that means better prices from intel :O.

Hopefully this is good news for AMD and the consumer alike.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
the article means that CFIUS gave approval for the partnership which was anticipated anyways. what changed? its the same as it was yesterday with the exception of one approval they knew they would get anyways.

More importantly, AMD hasn't gotten Intel's approval for the spinoff (at least that I know of yet). Intel could make a lot of trouble for AMD legally if they want to. Realistically they will probably get AMD to drop all the lawsuits in return for maintaining the license, I would expect.

Intel's revised earnings guidance - down to $8.2B for Q4 - doesn't bode well for AMD's earnings or stock. We'll find out in 15 days...

spearhead

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008

They might try indeed but i doubt this will end this way. actualy there i beleve AMD has a very good chance to win the case, intel already has been fined by multiple courts. The only problem with it is that AMD dous not get any money from that same as the 2 billion fine the EU gave them. I guess Intel will continue with there way of buying out AMD's costumers with fancy rebate prices and 100.000 cpus for free if they delay AMD products or exclude them from there line-up if they think they can starve AMD to bankrupcy this way. And this ofcourse isn't the way it should end. for the sake of innovation and faster better and cheaper cpu's it would be darn good if AMD won the law suit and/or got the spin-off.
AMD already stated that it dous not void any rules with the spin-off. i think intel only tried to put up some fuzz with the employee lawsuit. the so called anti trust case is delayd to 2011 anyway and still away some time. so in the case of intel its do or tie time i guess or else it might cost them around 50 billion in fines. and with tie i mean they will end up at a same worth as AMD having a simular market share for both since it could cost intel about 50%. yet nothing is certain and both AMD and Intel have to fight this over and over. But those fabs will be build. my guess is we will see what happends around 2012 if AMD manages to survive they have a good chance to win and get an even market share next to Intel. if not IBM or TSMC might buy them out.

OK the thread has officially degenerated to a fanboy thread :)

We already know what AMD's version of the spinoff vs. the x86 license is - I think even Sharikook could have predicted that one correctly :). However (1) does AMD actually have the $$ a protracted legal battle would cost over Intel's IP, and (2) with oil revenue being seriously down and not looking like it'll recover anytime soon, does Abu Dhabi want additional grief over this deal with AMD? I think AMD will be offering a compromise under the table, if they haven't already. Not that I follow AMD news that closely, but has anyone noticed recent statements from AMD about Intel's anti-trust activities?? Used to be that AMD would trot those out just before every disastrous quarterly earnings report, sorta like a smokescreen.

However I haven't seen anything recent from Intel on the spinoff either, which makes me think there is a deal underfoot or under-table.

And your $50B estimate of the antitrust damages seems a bit off, by a order of magnitude or more - even the fanboy Scientia over at UAEZone thinks any damages would be well south of $2B, in the range of $500M or so.

spearhead

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
i agree with you 50 billion is very high but its AMD's own claim that they have had that in damages. soucre is http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/AMD-Intel_Full_Complaint.pdf feel free to read the complaint if you like but i think this is a waste of time. It might be a smokescreen indeed but it seems a good way to getaway with the blame dousn't it?. i mean they both have there interest in there doing. who says AMD would not put the bad things in the way so they can benefit from it. they both will do that when they get the chance beleve me.
but what is fanboy? I mean i like to follow happenings and i like to see why it happens the way i dous. when i feel to i might investigate the westmere or the cheaper version of nehalem soon
they seem to be promissing too same as deneb is right now.
only the global economy might inflict damage on the whole industry and this might harm the road-maps if they really loose this much global sales. which i doubt because there is alot of demand. And when its not in europe or in the US or israel then it will be in china,russia, India and the middle east world. I mean money always flows nomatter what happends and it might be good if there rich people spend it on our western products so we get more money running in our western economy it may get the banks more pleased if they have more money to out loan. As long as they dont get to much chance to buy our banks and such because its not a good thing when some oil sheik has his interest in our banks and economy since he could force us to agree with his idea's when he threatens us to stop giving out loans. And it may be obvious that it could comprimise our entire economy if such a thing happends. And that is the main downside i see in the spin-off AMD has with the abu Dhabi investment fund. They should not have to much to say in the company because im not sure if they are trustworthy.

Times are getting tougher for Intel, and all those fabs http://channels.isp.netscape.com/pf/story.jsp?flok=FF-APO-1700&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20090107%2F1157398155.htm&sc=1700&floc=NI-mo2
Intels current highend, or its newest and bestest, is on the opposite side of the current economic situation, as is a few of their investments, things which AMD cant do, and doesnt have to support. The low end numbers Intel gave were a half billion off in the wrong direction, not including the 900 million $ drop from clearwire. How many other fingers where Intel has their hands in will be pinched? Low priced, high performance will go the farthest in this economy, and Intels newest just doesnt cut the mustard for this, at this time

^ If you think Q4 was bad for Intel, wait a couple weeks until AMD's loss - I mean earnings - report comes out :). Who has billions in reserve vs. billions in debt here??

And as for "Intels newest" not cutting the mustard, my guess that AMD's newest only cuts the cheese :)

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
bad for Intel does not translate to good for AMD when it concerns pc's being bought. if anything it means it could be worse for them. sucks because it looks like they have a good product coming but the desktop market is taking a beat down.

It may, or it may not. As people tighten their wallets, if they do buy cpu/pcs etc, they wont be buying i7's, thats what Im saying here, and Intels future is i7. All the Yorkies and Kents will be fine, as they too can be priced lower for todays economy, as well as AMD solutions. Its just, you always see/hear/find posted all the gloom and doom at AMD when here we find Intel not doing so well. If thier other investments downgrade similarly, it coyuld add up tp huge losses for Intel, and all the while, they still need to keep alll those fabs a humming along. Everyone says poor AMD, but no ones looking at how hard this is going to hit Intel, having money or not, they only have more to lose

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
oh what is bad for one is bad for the other. i try to plug that in when i see the gloom and doom for AMD threads. i even point out that Intel themselves would probably throw a lifeline if it became dire but quickly get dismissed of such a "crazy theory". its cheaper to have competition than it is to be in court 365 days a year like MS.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
yea your right. its only a matter of short time before they start pouring in!
this isnt professional sports. they are corporations that to some degree are entrenched within each other. they compete but have a relationship unique to any others. the licensing, the history, the cooperation and yes the competition.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
exactly! ups and downs, trading positions is great! its good for consumers and its good for the companies. complacency can sit in real easy if you can get away with recycling yesterdays ideas. who wants to be a part of anything that nothing ever changes? not me. i like the thought of buying from one then 2 years later (or sooner) having real options in front of me when i am ready to do it again.