Sign in with
Your question

Window xp installation problem

Last response: in Windows XP
March 18, 2011 5:03:36 PM

Hello,
please I want to instal window Xp 7 on a SATA hard disk but after runing the Set Up disk, it will come upwith a window (SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE. TO QUIT SETUP, PRESS F3).
March 18, 2011 5:23:17 PM

This is quite a common problem. The reason for this problem is that XP does not have any SATA drivers included with it, thus, the setup cannot detect the hard drive. To fix this problem, you will need to get into your BIOS and switch from SATA mode to an IDE emulation mode.

While in your BIOS, search for terms like "IDE" or "AHCI", the area you find terms like those is likely where you will be able to make a change to let your BIOS use legacy support.

Why? well the short version is that because there is no internal support for SATA with XP, the motherboard manufacturers started to include SATA emulation on the mobo to make XP installation easier. The alternative is to find a SATA driver for your hard drive, and then install it during setup. This is done at the time where you are asked to press F6 to install third party drivers.
m
l
March 18, 2011 6:44:10 PM

I agree with everything you say but the OP is trying with "Windows Xp 7" which should be able to find SATA drivers without the aid of a floppy disk.

Perhaps some clarification would help.

m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2011 7:13:13 PM

Difficult to tell - there's no such thing as Windows Xp 7. Sounds like XP to me, which would explain the error.
m
l
Anonymous
March 18, 2011 7:16:57 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Windows 7 to section Windows XP by Grumpy9117
m
l
!