CPU Voltage: 1.28
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.82
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.28
IOH: Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto
ICH Voltage: Auto
ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.6

-> Skipping all the DRAM Ref Voltages (They are all set to auto)

Load-Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude: Auto <-- Leave that alone
CPU Clock Skew: Auto <-- Leave that alone
IOH Clock Skew: Auto <-- Leave that alone
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disable

When I ran the system, the cpu temp was 48-50c. When running a game (Modern Warfare 2) it went to 51-53 c. The system shut down and at startup I saw the message ( CPU Too Hot!).
Any suggestions if I sould be overclocking it at all? I created the system with components so I could overclok it. I have ZERO experience in overclocking.
January 31, 2010 6:40:49 PM

Crickets.....

Wow. Not even an insulting post on how big of a nube I am.....LOL

m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2010 6:55:20 PM

you need to run prime 95 to see how hot it will get. Run that and report back with the temps.

And not the cpu temps, the core temps.
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2010 6:56:41 PM

Run Prime 95 before trying the overclock again? When I tried to run Prime 95 @ 3.6 the system crashed.
m
l
January 31, 2010 7:15:28 PM

Ok running prime 95 at 2.6 here are the temps:

CPU: 84c

Core 0: 94c
Core: 1: 94c
Core: 2: 99c
Core: 3: 99c
Core 4: 88c
Core 5: 88c
m
l
January 31, 2010 7:37:23 PM

bad bad bad temps. Reseat your heatsink and apply new paste
m
l
January 31, 2010 7:42:14 PM

Is this a result of bad assembly?
m
l
January 31, 2010 7:55:08 PM

lol you will burn your cpu with that temps. and i am sure that is result od bad assembly
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2010 8:25:25 PM

HAHAHAHA, i knew they would be that high. Its probably not the assembly that was screwed up. Its probably a user error. You need to take off the heat sink then clean the bottom of it with alcohol . Then apply new thermal paste then re-seat. If the temps are still to high, then it is probably coolermasters fault.
m
l
January 31, 2010 9:01:33 PM

Thank You.

I removed the side of the case to inspect the Coolmaster V8 and it is loose. I know that can't be good. The system was built for me so I am going to call the builder and have them take care of it.

Thank You for all of your help =)
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2010 9:38:03 PM

Yeah, no problem. Re seating the cooler really isnt a big deal. im sure you could figure it out so it doesnt have to go back the builder.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2010 8:23:41 AM

dont people test there builds FIRST before overclocking? FIND OUT YOUR NEW RIG IS SOLID BEFORE OVERCLOCKING geez its like rule #1
m
l
February 1, 2010 2:01:14 PM

Gotta ask... did they remove the little piece of plastic on the underside of the heatsink? There's a thin protective piece of plastic there to keep the heatsink from getting scratched up... that would elevate temps, but good lord... your temps are off the charts. Hell, did they even use thermal paste at all?!?
m
l
February 1, 2010 2:04:33 PM

That processor at 3.6 with that CPU cooler should be a no-brainer... something is definitely wrong with the cooling system. Once your problems are resolved, 3.6 is VERY doable. In the mean time, don't do any more stress testing until you have things a bit more resolved... and even then, immediately stop the stress tests if the temps get that high... hell, if they cross 80C I'd pull the plug on the tests and go back to the drawing boards... and under no circumstances leave the tests running unattended until you're more confident in your cooling.
m
l
February 1, 2010 5:43:28 PM

+1 rodney... 80c is max if you don't want to have $280 piece of scrap cpu. I don't think people do a good test of a new build before OCing. You need to bench your new build to test for peoblems such as a 90c temp at 2.6 or video card problem or mem or a host of other things. I say get some new paste.... take of your cooler, clean it well same with the cpu reapply... many good threads on how to do that here. put it back on. run a few heating and cooling cycles.. bench it with prime and you should be good to go. Plus its good to learn about your internal components... it will make you able to diagnose things better, understand whats going on and give you the oportunity for high overclocks!!!!! :)  OC is fun!!! lol ans stressful sometimes!
m
l
February 1, 2010 6:41:44 PM

Thank You for all of the information =)
m
l
February 2, 2010 2:35:27 AM

Reset the CPU and have the V8 nice and tight. I had to remove the motherboard to do it. Now my worst fear has materialized. The computer will not boot up.

The MB does not beep. Power to the system is good fans are all running and GPU seems like it is louder than before.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2010 5:04:06 AM

ok, try this...

1. Reset the bios (with computer unplugged). To do this hit the little red button that is located on the motherboard. It is usually right above the PSU.

see if the pc boots after this, if not, try number 2...

2. When replacing the heatsink you probably bumped the ram, try to re-seat this and then see if it boots.

3. unplug all the pesky 4 pin and 3 pin fan connectors in the case then replug them in. See if it boots.

Turkish, not to worry. This is a pretty common issue and it should be resolved fairly quickly.

In the worst case scenario, the person who made your PC installed one to many standoffs and the last on is shorting out the motherboard and needs to be removed, in that case the pc usually keeps rebooting.
m
l
February 2, 2010 1:54:58 PM

I tried all 3, but it will still not boot =(
m
l
February 2, 2010 2:13:38 PM

time to buy a new rig
m
l
February 5, 2010 7:04:03 PM

Turkish77 Since you had to remove the board to get your V8 in you might have not plugged something in correctly or at all. Retrace the board and make sure everything is plugged in correctly. This is also a common and overlooked. Is sounds like this might be the problem... Try that... go through and redo it all check it twice then turn it on.
m
l
!