How to access a Hard Drive that recognizes in windows but ...

cerealkiller2k4

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
doesn't show up in My Computer.

Hello, I'm having an issue with a hard drive from my last build. The hard drive was a 250gb Western Digital Caviar SE, that was used for nothing but data storage (movies, music, photos etc). It was paired with an 80gb that I used for my OS and all programs.

That build crashed on me about a year ago (the MoBo was damaged I'm sure of it). Just recently I bought a Rosewill USB2.0 to IDE/SATA converter so that I could try to reclaim some of the files I have on the multitudes of HDD's that I have laying around. The weird thing about this is that, Windows recognizes that the device is attached however the volume will not show up in My Computer, as opposed to one of my much older drives that just doesn't recognize.

I was hoping that someone might have a few tricks I could try with this as I'm hopeful that since Windows sees that there is a device attached that maybe I can at least access some of the accumulated info I had on this drive

Thank you all very much in advance. If there is any information you need to know about the situation, please let me know.

Richard

cerealkiller2k4

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Actually under Disk Management the drive I'm working on shows up but it says Dynamic beneath the label of Disk 2, beneath Dynamic it says Invalid.

My only real option when right clicking the disk is to "Convert to Basic", which is what my Primary hard drive is labeled as.

Would converting it to Basic allow me to access the drive? or is that going to erase the information thats there?