BE550 unlocking only 1 core! Gigabyte board

bensonj7

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Found and have tested a new feature on a bios revision from Gigabyte for my GA-MA790XT-UD4P

Bios revision is F7 and I KNOW it is available for other Gigabyte boards:

gigabytembbios.jpg

The cool thing is under ACC you can now choose to unlock just one of the cores! Might be of GREAT value to folks you couldn't get all 4 to unlock or be stable enuf to use....

biosasX3.png

Check it out... also notice that Cpuid now reports a RANA core Athlon II X3!

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Hello there. Looks like what he did was set "CPU CORE CONTROL" to manual and disable core 3, which is actually the 4th core since they are labeled 0,1,2,3. Then just did a basic OC.:)

bensonj7

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Yep, thats what I did, just selected "munaul" and disabled core 3 - could have selected core 2 and done the same thing.

Now, here is the real question.... You have purchased a Phenom II X2 550 BE and have unlocked the 2 cores and found them unstable, is it a guranteed fact that cores 2 & 3 were the ones "locked" out from the factory? Keep in mind that cores are numbered 0, 1, 2, 3... just random rumblings in my head. I was lucky enuf that all 4 cores seem to be working nicely for me, but thought this might help someone who couldn't get 4 cores to run.

Whatever the case is with the above question, if I had unlocked and found instability with 4 cores and thought I was just sol and reverted to the X2, I'd definatly give it a try unlocking and disabling 1 core at a time to try and get at least an X3 out of it....

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
Now, here is the real question.... You have purchased a Phenom II X2 550 BE and have unlocked the 2 cores and found them unstable, is it a guranteed fact that cores 2 & 3 were the ones "locked" out from the factory? Keep in mind that cores are numbered 0, 1, 2, 3...

Isn't it academic since if you get more than you started with stable that would be considered a good thing?:)

bensonj7

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009

Gigabyte has a new F8Beta and I haven't even looked at it to see what it has or doesn't have, the have been good about removing ACC from some of their bios...

Been screwed recently with my XFX HD4850 card and or drivers for such giving me all sorts of grieve so haven't been fooling much with tweaking cause I've had to put in an HD4670 card I had just to be able to use the puter... hopefully I'll get that resolved soon and get back to pursuing my elusive 16k 3dmark, and flogging this build.