Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to delete files from a write-protected disk

Last response: in Storage
March 18, 2010 3:34:17 AM

I copied some files to a CD-R disk but now want to delete them, but can't because the disk is write-protected. I tried removing the write-protect from each file and that didn't work. Can this be done or should I just chunk the disk?
March 18, 2010 3:41:42 AM

You cant delete any file from CD-R,
you have an option to delete all the contents in a cd not selected file in CD-RW
a c 415 G Storage
March 18, 2010 3:50:51 AM

That's right - writing stuff to CD-R (or DVD-R, DVD+R or BD-R) is like writing in a notebook in indelible ink. Once it's on the disk, there's no way to physically remove it short of destroying the disk.

If the disk isn't finalized, then it's possible to write a new table of contents that makes it LOOK like the files have been deleted, but in reality they're still there and can be viewed with a utility like ISOBuster.
Related resources
March 18, 2010 4:06:19 AM

If you want to keep the rest of the files and delete some as you said you need to make a copy of that CD somewhere on your hard drive, delete the files that you want to remove from the HD, destroy the CD and finally burn the new CD without the files. No other way, sorry.
a b G Storage
March 18, 2010 4:18:46 AM

Optical disks do not work like hard drives, or the old floppies. The information is physically etched into the disks with a very tiny laser.
March 28, 2010 3:25:28 PM

sminlal said:
That's right - writing stuff to CD-R (or DVD-R, DVD+R or BD-R) is like writing in a notebook in indelible ink. Once it's on the disk, there's no way to physically remove it short of destroying the disk.

If the disk isn't finalized, then it's possible to write a new table of contents that makes it LOOK like the files have been deleted, but in reality they're still there and can be viewed with a utility like ISOBuster.

So what type of disk should I be using if my intent is to copy files, then later delete and copy more files; I don't want to save any of them permanently. Another question, when right-clicking a file and selecting to send (copy) to a disk, why does my computer say to enter disk when there is already a disk (DVD-R) in there? It doesn't recognize it for some reason.
a c 415 G Storage
March 28, 2010 5:11:59 PM

If you want to re-use the same disk over and over again, then you need to use an "RW" type disk: CD-RW, DVD-RW, or DVD+RW. This type of disk lets you burn files, but it also allows you to "erase" the ENTIRE disc so that it's back to the same totally blank state you started with. Then you can burn more files onto it.

Optical discs are NOT like normal drives - you can't just drag individual files to them. You have to use a special program like Nero, give it all the files you want to burn onto the disk, and let it do the work. I believe that Windows itself now has built-in disk burning tools as well, but I'm not familiar with them.

There is an exception to the above paragraph - if you have the right kind of DVD burner you can use DVD-RAM disks. These actually do behave just like hard drive (except they're a lot slower) and you can drag-and-drop individual files, erase them, edit them, etc. But not all DVD burners can use DVD-RAM discs, and the discs themselves are harder to find and more expensive.

Best solution

March 28, 2010 5:21:29 PM

mask96 said:
So what type of disk should I be using if my intent is to copy files, then later delete and copy more files; I don't want to save any of them permanently. Another question, when right-clicking a file and selecting to send (copy) to a disk, why does my computer say to enter disk when there is already a disk (DVD-R) in there? It doesn't recognize it for some reason.

A pendrive is what you need.
a c 415 G Storage
March 28, 2010 6:19:02 PM

Good point - maybe just using a USB Flash drive would be a lot easier...
a b G Storage
June 17, 2010 2:21:57 PM

Best answer selected by aford10.
a b G Storage
June 17, 2010 2:24:00 PM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
!