Chaintech 8800GT

G

Chaintech 8800GT

I've bought a Chaintech 8800GT around a half a year ago and it has been causing problems ever since.
Everytime when I am playing a game, my game freeses, my screen turns black and I get a 'No Signal Input' error, it mostly crashes while playing games as Call of Duty and World of Warcraft and I have tried the following things to solve the problem.

- Check the temps, were around 60 degrees
- Checked the power, 600W seems enough
- Reinstalled windows and/or Drivers
- Changed up to 3 different sound cards
- Checked the eventvwr tool which gave me 6005 and 6009.
- Changed motherboard (Gigabyte to Asus p5k)

Is anyone familiar with this problem? I really need some help since i'm going to pick up competitive gaming again when CoD5 is released.

My PC's specs.

Asus P5K
500, 80, 80GB HD.
2GB OCZ 800MHZ CL4-3-3-15
600W OCZ
Audigy 4
E6750 @ 2,67GHZ
Antec 900 Case

Yours faithfully,
Jim de Ronde

G

I've checked the temps,
Ingame they are 47-48.
By the way, I've already sent it back once and I got a 'new one'.

DavidOrr

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
If you have another graphics card that you could swap in (maybe an old 6800 GT or something), give it a shot. If it is a PSU problem, you'd most likely have the same error. 600 W is far more than enough to power that card, but if you had a faulty PSU you would still get these errors.

Also, if you have another machine you could swap the 8800 GT into, try doing that. If it's a problem with the card, you'd get the exact same error. It looks like you've done all of the right things on your end (updated drivers, etc.), so it's very likely a hardware failure.

G

Well, I recently sold my ax850pro, it worked fine, never crashed.
I don't have a other system, so that's a pitty.

G

I've tried that around 4months ago, Ran it once and didn't give any errors.
Might wanna consider running it again, I'll comment tomorrow.

G

Some guy on a LAN stronly recommended me this card, so that's why i've bought it in the first place. And maybe you're right, next time i wont buy chaintech anymore, i'd rather spend some more money on a decent card.

That doesn't mean that I dont want to fix this problem so, i'm looking for people that can help me :D

G

That's not helping me.
Bump with things that can solve my problem.

nyrang

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Well ownrr I think your motherboard has pci-e 1.0 slots, correct me if I'm wrong.
As I've pointed out in another thread I've recently started, I was planning on buying a 8800GT or 9800GT, but then I've found many reports of x800GT cards failing on systems based on a pci-e 1.0 board. Don't take my word for that, I don't want to spread false rumours (two users on these forum have confirmed to me that they've been running this card on a pci-e1.0 system for months now without any problem...), but you may want to make some research on this matter.

G

I don't have a x800GT.. I have a 8800GT and the Asus P5K should just be fine as it's one of the best motherboards ever made (as some say).

nyrang

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Oops sorry ownrr but I'm afraid I've forgot the most important detail before posting.
I can assure you I've found a long list of people having the same problem as yours; I may give you a link to an Italian forum that is full of such posts, if you're willing to use babelfish. Anyway, the point is that 90% of people having issues have an Asus mobo; I would also go as far as saying that 100% of them have a system based on an Intel cpu. Most people who don't have problems (including the two in this forum) have an AMD based system, so this is strong evidence.
I'm afraid I don't have anything else to add, except that you may want to check this:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=52905

Oh, and when I wrote "x800GT" I meant "8800GT or 9800GT".... :)

G

hmm, well. for some kind of reason I can not change my fan speed in Riva Tuner, when I put it higher it doesn't react. perhaps this is Chaintech's problem, you cant change the fan speed.

G

Ok, so when it's a heat problem, I'm ****.
For some kind of silly reason Chaintech blocked my ability to change the fan speed, I read something about a VGA bios flash, I downloaded the .bin, But I dont know how I could actually load it into my VGA bios, you might wanna helpe me figure this out or help me change it in windows.