Company of Heroes crashing after installing Akimbo Coolers

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I just installed a pair of Akimbo Coolers on my two SLI'ed EVGA 8800GT SSCs. The temp of my cards have dropped dramatically, but now I'm experiencing a problem in Company of Heroes. After playing for 15 to 20 min my computer crashes. I get red artifacts all over the screen followed by a blue screen of death. This never happened prior to the coolers being installed. This is the only game I'm having problems with. I'm able to play COD4 and Crysis for hours without any problems.

The only thing that I can think of that may be causing this is the memory chips aren't being cooled properly. The Akimbo coolers came with pink pads attached to cool the memory, and perhaps they are not doing their job. See pic below of "pink pads". Does anyone know if there is something better I can use to replace the stock memory cooling pads? Would thermal paste work?

My cards are overclocked from the factory as followed...
Core Clock = 700
Shaders =1728
Memory Clock =1000

P1020239.jpg

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Definetly memory overheating. That cooler on the right looks like an 8800GTS 512/9800GTX cooler....and I dont know what that is on the left.

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
This is the EVGA Akimbo cooler. Its very similar to the cooler found on a 8800GTS. The thing on the left is a heat sink that mounts on top of the card.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Oooohhhh ok. I misunderstood your first post. Ive never seen them with that backplate, just make sure you got all the screws tightened down enough, also check that the memory/mosfet layout is the same on your card as it is on that cooler, they could not be lining up right with teh pads.