scrub

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
Hi

Purchased a new hard drive for my desktop PC. Re-installed XP but can't connect to internet as the ethernet controller drivers, among others, are missing? I haven't got the original disc that came with my Compaq presario S5150UK, but have dowloaded the drivers from the HP support site. I have transferred them to the desktop via a pendrive but when I go through the device manager it doesn't pick up the driver. I assume that once I get the ethernet going I should be able to connect to the internet and sort out all other issues?

All help appreciated.

Scrub

scrub

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I did but when trying to install the driver via device manager, it wont work.
Is there another way to install the driver?

Cheers

Scrub

As with most HP drivers, you have to download and run the service pack to install it. When you run it, does it simply unpack the files? If so, check where they are unpacked and then select that location when updating the drivers via device manager.

scrub

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009

Thanks for the response.

I am downloading them on my laptop and transferring them via penstick to my desktop but it wont install them - any ideas how to get them to install so that I can get connected to the internet and download all other missing bits and pieces.

Cheers

Scrub

I don't understand why you have an issue updating the LAN drivers. If you double-click the sp23996.exe executable file, the drivers are unpacked. Once unpacked, the program displays the following message: "The original drivers are stored in the C:\HP\Drivers\LAN folder. Please install the driver through the Device Manager." It even launches Device Manager for you.

When updating the LAN drivers through the Device Manager, you need to change the source and select the correct folder. That doesn't work for you?

Did you right-click the network adaptor and select "Update Driver"? To the question "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software", did you check "No, not this time"? To the question "What do you want the wizard to do", you select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)? And on the next screen you checked "Include this location in the search", you browsed to the "C:\HP\Drivers\LAN\RealTek" folder and then clicked the Next button and that failed?