Finding MS software; converting between Word Perfect & Wor..

I just installed my home Dell Dimension 4700 -- and can't seem to find any MS
Office or "Word" options on my "All Programs" drop-down. The system is
supposed to have Windows XP resident, but I'm not finding any of it. Also, I
want to be able to convert old Word Perfect files to Word -- and vice versa,
but have thus far been unsuccesaful in figuring out how to do it. Thanks for
your help.
6 answers Last reply
More about finding software converting word perfect

    Office and Word are separate products from Windows XP. If this is a
    new Dell PC, you may have WordPerfect installed. If you are
    reinstalling the software from the Dell recovery/restore disks, you'll
    need to find the CD's to reinstall the office-like application. With
    my Dell I got WordPerfect, though getting MS Office was an option.

    You can open WordPerfect files in Word and save them as Word files,
    and vice versa. Good luck.

    Brian Bygland

    "Frustrated" <Frustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I just installed my home Dell Dimension 4700 -- and can't seem to
    find any MS
    > Office or "Word" options on my "All Programs" drop-down. The system
    is
    > supposed to have Windows XP resident, but I'm not finding any of it.
    Also, I
    > want to be able to convert old Word Perfect files to Word -- and
    vice versa,
    > but have thus far been unsuccesaful in figuring out how to do it.
    Thanks for
    > your help.

    Unless Microsoft Office was bundled with your Dell, you won't find it on
    your system. Windows XP is an operating system. Microsoft Office is an
    application, actually a suite of applications. The two are totally
    different animals. You may have purchase Microsoft Office from a local
    merchant like Staples, Office Depot or Best Buy. It is also available from
    online merchants as well.

    In news:F8A72ED9-DFA9-451C-8390-5D25C05ACF0D@microsoft.com,
    Frustrated <Frustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I just installed my home Dell Dimension 4700 -- and can't seem
    > find any MS Office or "Word" options on my "All Programs"
    > drop-down.

    Did you order the computer with Microsoft Office?

    Neither Windows XP, nor any other version of Windows, has ever
    included Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, or any other
    significant application software. Such programs have to be
    bought, either by themselves or as part of Microsoft Office.

    If your previous computer, running an older version of Windows,
    came with these, it was because the vendor who sold them bundled
    them as part of the package he sold you, not because that version
    of Windows came with them. Some, but not all, vendors do the same
    with Windows XP. With Dell, I believe it's an extra-cost option.

    > The system is supposed to have Windows XP resident, but I'm not
    > finding any of it.

    You're finding Windows XP, but you're not finding Office. As I
    said, they are two different things.

    > Also, I want to be able to convert old Word
    > Perfect files to Word -- and vice versa, but have thus far been
    > unsuccesaful in figuring out how to do it. Thanks for your
    > help.

    In WordPerfect, use File | Save as and choose to save the file as
    a Word Document. To read a Word file in WordPerfect, choose Open,
    and thenm look for *.doc files. Once you've opened a .doc file,
    you can save it as a .wpd file, thuis converting it to
    WordPerfect.

    You can do the same conversions in Word, but you have to choose
    to install the filters to permit this when you install Word.

    Note that conversions from one format to the other are usually
    pretty successful if the document is a relatively simple one.
    With complex documents, the results are sometimes terrible. If
    you have trouble with the results, try it both ways: converting
    from within Word and converting from within WordPerfect.
    Sometimes one is better than the other.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Frustrated wrote:
    > I just installed my home Dell Dimension 4700 -- and can't seem to find any MS
    > Office or "Word" options on my "All Programs" drop-down. The system is
    > supposed to have Windows XP resident, but I'm not finding any of it. Also, I
    > want to be able to convert old Word Perfect files to Word -- and vice versa,
    > but have thus far been unsuccesaful in figuring out how to do it. Thanks for
    > your help.

    The *operating system* is Windows XP. This has absolutely no bearing
    on what additional applications you may or may not have installed.

    Neither the Microsoft Office application suite, nor any of its
    individual component applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access,
    Outlook, etc.), have _ever_ been "part" of *any* Windows operating
    system. They are, and always have been, separate applications, that
    must be purchased and installed separately.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Frustrated wrote:
    > I just installed my home Dell Dimension 4700 -- and can't seem to find any MS
    > Office or "Word" options on my "All Programs" drop-down. The system is
    > supposed to have Windows XP resident, but I'm not finding any of it. Also, I
    > want to be able to convert old Word Perfect files to Word -- and vice versa,
    > but have thus far been unsuccesaful in figuring out how to do it. Thanks for
    > your help.

    My Sony came with Microsoft Works included. Microsoft Office was there,
    also, but had to be purchased to go beyond a trial period.

    Stan

    Stan;
    Sony may have chosen to also provide Works, but Microsoft Works, Microsoft
    Office or any components thereof are not and never have been a part of any
    operating system.
    That is unless you count the very basic Word Pad.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > My Sony came with Microsoft Works included. Microsoft Office was there,
    > also, but had to be purchased to go beyond a trial period.
    >
    > Stan

Software Windows XP