9850? E8400?

I recently put together a new build over the holidays for mainly gaming and a bit of programming and web design. However, after doing a bit of reading I am wondering if I should RMA the 9850 for an E8400 and my M3A78 Pro 780G Mobo for perhaps a P45 board. I experience a bit of low FPS when playing WoW, but most other games seem fine. Would I be gimping myself by switching or would I see a decent increase in performance overall? I am new to overclocking so I am just starting to experience with it. Any advice would be awesome, thanks in advance. ;)

My current build:

ASUS M3A78 Pro AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
G.Skill 6GB DDR2 800 PC2 6400 240-Pin
COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-650-ACAA-A1 650W
AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz
10 answers Last reply
More about 9850 e8400
  1. It's up to you but the system looks fien for payign wow. one thing tho your ram is a bit slow the 9850 support pc8500 1066 ram... I am sure others will have some good points.
  2. Yeah the RAM will be upgraded within the next few weeks, that is not a problem. I usually upgrade overall about once a year or so. ATM though I only get around 40-50FPS average and like 20 or 30 in Dalaran, which seems relatively low. Like I said though my other games seem to run fine and I like the fact that I can have 2 games and some other apps running np. I don't plan on going extreme or anything with water cooling anytime soon, but would I just be better off trying to OC the quad to like 3.0 if possible? I don't really want to start messing with it yet as I have just started looking into it. Things will be running stock for a few weeks.
  3. with your setup WoW should play fine. any gains you may get from an e8400 would be no different than going from an Intel quad to a dual. I would try a modest overclock and order some 1066 RAM and then re-evaluate.
  4. I have a x2 5200+ Windsor 2.6, should I try using that as an OC'er? What are some pointers to OC'ing? Any type of software used etc?

Edit: Is going from 2.5 to lets say 3.0 GHz really that much of a visual difference that I will be able to tell? In terms of my quad? I sort of thought that perhaps 3.0 on dual might be better than 2.5 on quad. At least since WoW only sees what, 2 cores? I really don't want to go through a ton of trouble just to get the best performance on a game that I should be blowing apart.
  5. i never use software for overclocking a CPU. i am a bit removed from AMD overclocking as i havent done it in a while so i dont want to give you bad advice. there are plenty of folks here that could guide you on that though.
  6. So could it possibly be that my RAM is slowing me down in WoW, not my CPU? Would be a lot more comfortable if that were the case, that way I wouldn't feel as bad perhaps about my choice.
  7. Anyone? Fallout 3 also seems to run very fine, only WoW is the problem atm.
  8. Personally, I would buy an E8400 and a P45 motherboard, but it's your choice. The RAM should not affect the performance, just OC the RAM to 1066. I think overall the E8400 is much friendlier, especially on water.
  9. WoW shouldnt bring his 9850 to its knees. I was hoping someone who has an overclocked AMD would post some help for the dude.
  10. Well, that is true, my friend has a 9950 but that's totally different. Now that I think about it the 9850 is a better choice, once the quad-threaded games come out. Get a 9850, I am.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs