January 31, 2010 11:54:03 PM

Hello guys, my specs,

MOB : MSI 790FX-GD70
CPU : AMD Athlon II x4 630@2,8 Ghz
GPU : ATi Radeon from Gygabite / 5850HD, 1GB, GDDR5, 256Bytes
RAM : KINGSTON 4GB, Dual Channel@1333 Mhz, CL7 Latency
HDD: WD, Caviar Green, 1TB, 64MB/Buffer
DVD: LG@22x, Rewriteable

I have overclockings problem, I want to overclock my CPU to ~3,8Ghz and make the RAM work with CL7 Latency(7-7-7-21)

I had already entered the BIOS and overclocked from FSB my CPU to 3,4Ghz but if I want to go furthermore I have a CRASH, probably because I need to increase the Voltage, the BIOS has the Voltage option with gray and I cant access them and I don't know how to unlock them.

Also the RAM, I have installed CPU-Z obviously and I saw there the memory works with 9 clocks-9 clocks-9 clocks-24 clocksm where it should write 7-7-7-21.

Now, let me show you how it looks :

CPU

RAM

And now I want to ask you what means "Unganged"... it means that the RAM doesen't works in DUAL CHANNEL ? Is it good or bad ?

In conclusion, I want from you guys to tell me how I can overclock my CPU to higher MHZ and change the RAM Latency. :) 

THANK YOU,
VLAD

More about : athlon oveclocking

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2010 8:54:44 PM

Hang on there...as this question requires a long answer...I will try to help you out when i have time....
February 3, 2010 12:29:42 AM

videl said:
Hang on there...as this question requires a long answer...I will try to help you out when i have time....

the functions for voltage are not grey

i'm just n00b

... i dont know the VOLTAGES for 3.8 Mhz
Related resources
February 3, 2010 10:19:06 AM

I'll let vivel give the long answer as I am pretty new to this. But here is the skinny while you wait. You are upping your FSB which is fine, but you did not lower any of your other mutliplyers. You might be pushing your ram, north bridge, or HT too fast.

As for ram timmings you will have to up the voltage from stock 1.5 too 1.65 and if bios does not change the setting on auto (probably not) you will have to manually set the ram timming to get it 7-7-7-21.

You really need to read an OC guide though.
February 4, 2010 10:24:44 PM

Guys,

I have changed the RAM timings, as for the ram I want to ask you what is best ? GANGED or UNGANGED ?

I have raised the voltage to 1,48 V and obtained a 3,5 Ghz Athlon II x4

... but I can't go further than that... I read on the net that I need to increase the HT Link and Multipliers... all is so complicated I think I will just upgrade to Phenom II x4 965BE ... or 955
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2010 11:50:00 PM

Vlad_2 said:
Guys,

I have changed the RAM timings, as for the ram I want to ask you what is best ? GANGED or UNGANGED ?

Depends on what you are doing on it !! - The difference in ganged vs. unganged is in ganged mode the memory controller is set to unidirectional (meaning that on a specific clock cycle only a write or a read can be made to the memory where in unganged the memory controller is set as bi-directional meaning both a read and write can be done in the same clock cycle (but the memory controller is split into two channels.) - kind of like a 2 lane highway where ganged mode would have all traffic going in a single direction at a time (clock cycle) on both lanes so more can get through if going in the proper direction where unganged would have traffic going in both directions but when that happens only half as much can get in either direction at a time. - that siad the type of program you are using would determine which is actually faster and at the speeds memory chips run these days the difference between the 2 is marginal at best !!

Here is an article that describes the difference better - ( LINKIE )
February 5, 2010 10:58:34 AM

I have the same processor on a GA-MA785GT-UD3H.

I can get to about 3.45GHz on stock voltage (1.4V), and to 3.5GHz @ 1.55V (in both cases I lower NB multipliers etc. to x8 to keep them at roughly stock speeds). I don't want to raise the voltage any more as it may damage the chip, so 3.5GHz is the limit in my case. It's unlikely you'll really notice the extra 300MHz when in use, so just be happy with the already pretty good 25% OC...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2010 4:03:45 PM

@Vlad_2
Thanks for waiting...I'll get home today and try to answer your question...
February 5, 2010 11:08:23 PM

On your OC of 3.45 at 1.4V is that a constant 1.4volts (no variance)? if not is that the max voltage? or what is the max voltage you get? and lastly how do you check for stability? I have the same chip So i am just wondering what you guys are doing =)
February 6, 2010 7:58:02 PM

to check ur stability usually either OCCT or prime95 will do the job.Both programs put ur CPU,ram....under intense stress (100% load) for a period of time .if there comes a fault in ur overclocking u will get an error in the program or ur pc will reboot.u continue this until u no longer get an error or reboot in prime95 or OCCT after a few hours of testing ur system.

I also have GA-MA785GT-UD3H and its quite easy to rais it to 3.45 under 1.47v (under full load its 1.488)
keep ur NB under 2400 (no need to let it stick to stock freq since alil bit of overclocking on north bridge wont harm and also adds the performance of ur ram)

But try to keep HT close to 2000 ,its ok if it even went under 2000 (1960 or......)

February 7, 2010 3:55:09 PM

Vlad,

My Rig: Athlon II X4 620, Asus M4A78-EM, 4G Corsair XMS2 1066, Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7.2, OCZ 500W ModXStream.

Here are my current overclock stats according to CPU-Z: 3460 MHz Core Speed, x 13 multiplier, 266 MHz Bus Speed, 2130 MHz HT Link, 1.360 Core Voltage, 1066 MHz RAM. That works out to be an approximate 33% overclock on the CPU.

This is the highest I could run my bus and still be stable with a 12 hour Prime95 Stress Test. My highest CPU temp at 100% is 51 C.

It took me quite some time to come up with the perfect combo. Besides the poor BIOS options (unable to adjust FSB:RAM ratio, no ACC option, ect.), my biggest roadblock seems to have been my HT Link speed.

My BIOS Settings:

CPU/HT Reference Clock: 266
Processor Frequency Multiplier: x 13.0
CPU/NB Frequency Multiplier: x 8.0 (stock setting is x 10.0)
CPU Overvolt: +100mv
VDDNB Overvolt: +33mv
HT Link Speed: 1.6 GHz (stock is 2.0)
Memory Clock Speed: 400 MHz (stock is 533)
Memory Overvolt: 2.10000

I'm in agreement with esuckq, you are doing well at 3.4 GHz. Probably not worth it to up your voltage too high just to get another couple hundred MHz.

Also, as other people have stated, make sure you are running a stress test that you can be confident with. I previously had settings that would pass a 12 hr Everest Stress Test but would not pass 1 hour with Prime95. In most cases, as with mine, it will only require minor tweaking to sort out the discrepancies b/t the two tests.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 5:39:24 AM

seems like there is a good amount of people wanting to get ahead of me...
We'll looks like you have some answers...
It is simple to say that in most cases if you are using only one channel of ram (2 slots) it's better to have it unganged and if you are using both channels it's better to have ganged...

Here is a good guide for amd phenom or similar cpu overclocking...just wanted to put it up here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596...
lengthy but nice...
February 9, 2010 11:36:41 PM

videl said:
seems like there is a good amount of people wanting to get ahead of me...
We'll looks like you have some answers...
It is simple to say that in most cases if you are using only one channel of ram (2 slots) it's better to have it unganged and if you are using both channels it's better to have ganged...

Here is a good guide for amd phenom or similar cpu overclocking...just wanted to put it up here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596...
lengthy but nice...

Hello again to all of you guys,

I have managed out and reached 3,7 Ghz with my Athlon and now I have everything optimized, running at 3,5 Ghz

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1009146

And here's my RAM memory :

Also, as I said I was able to set the CPU to 3,7 Ghz and tested my pc in 3DMark 06:

Thx for the link

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 18, 2010 3:26:01 AM

Nice overclock and Score...Vlad_2! ;) 
!