Sign in with
Your question

CPU fan not turning on

Last response: in Motherboards
February 12, 2009 12:02:48 AM

Just got a new GIGABYTE GA-EP45-EXTREME to replace an Asus. Hooked everything up and when I turned it on everything started working except the CPU fan, and the MB just reset itself after 1-2 seconds. All the other fans are working and except the CPU fan, it just kind of twitches then does nothing.

I looked around google and found out that I might be able to get it to spin if I plugged the CPU fan header into one of the SYS_fan plugs.

Which I did, and the CPU fan will spin now but the MB still just resets itself after 1-2 seconds, it doesn't even POST. I tried pulling my RAM out and then putting one stick in at a time and trying all the ports but that didn't work.

So now I don't know what to do next, any suggestions would really be appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
PSU: Thermaltake 700w Toughpower
RAM: G. SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066
VGA: Radeon HD 4870

More about : cpu fan turning

February 12, 2009 12:51:06 AM

i dont think modos will run if there cpu fans are not plugged in. try plugging the cpu fan in again. if the fan goes not work and the mobo resets, then the mobo is probably bad.
February 12, 2009 1:02:35 AM

Ok I tried something new, I unplugged the the ATX 2x4 12v plug that provides power to the CPU and it didn't reset anymore. But it still didn't do anything since the CPU wasn't getting power.

But still, this leads me to believe that my problems are stemming from my CPU. So does anyone know anything that I can try? I really don't want to have to get a new CPU.
Related resources
February 12, 2009 12:44:38 PM

I'm having that problem right now as well. When I hit the power switch to turn the pc off the fan starts to spin. But when I power up it just twiches and stops moving. Anybody come across this issue ??
a b à CPUs
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 12, 2009 1:43:48 PM

Go to the 'PC Health Status' page of the BIOS;
set 'CPU Smart FAN Control' to 'Enabled';
if you have a PWM fan (four wires),
set 'CPU Smart FAN Mode' to 'PWM';
if you have a standard voltage-controlled fan (three wires),
set 'CPU Smart FAN Mode' to 'Voltage';
if you have an Intel fan,
throw it out,
buy something (anything) else!
Google around and read up on TIM application
(Artic's guide is excellent and will make sure you're successful)
- be sure you've got a good paste application;
most fan/sinks have a detailed installation procedure,
usually involving rotating an inner pin
inside of an outer lock mechanism,
and usually they're a %^&*$ to get right -
make sure all four pins are
properly engaged and locked.
February 12, 2009 4:01:04 PM

OK, I figured out why the fan won't spin when its plugged into the CPU fan header. The MB has some kind of thermal sensor so that it wont actually turn the CPU fan on until it starts to get warm and needs it.

But my problem is that my computer won't stay on long enough for the CPU to even get warm. It seems that my CPU won't properly initialize for some reason and it just resets the whole computer after 1-2 seconds.

So I can't even make it to the BIOS to change the fan settings.
February 12, 2009 5:16:58 PM

OK I think the MB is DOA. I just threw an old Pentium D in to see what would happen. Same result, just goes off and on again over and over. Gonna have to RMA it I guess. This will be the third MB I have gone through trying to build this rig. :( 
February 13, 2009 1:36:50 AM

cloudx10 said:
OK I think the MB is DOA. I just threw an old Pentium D in to see what would happen. Same result, just goes off and on again over and over. Gonna have to RMA it I guess. This will be the third MB I have gone through trying to build this rig. :( 

thats what i said in the first reply, dont worry though, bad hardware happens. Just make sure you toke proper static guard measures like wrist straps; google around for more details.
February 13, 2009 5:56:50 PM

cheepstuff said:
thats what i said in the first reply, dont worry though, bad hardware happens. Just make sure you toke proper static guard measures like wrist straps; google around for more details.

Yeah, I did everything by the book and took every precaution that I could. I was just really hoping that I didn't have to RMA another MB. :( 
a b à CPUs
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 14, 2009 9:43:49 PM

BTW: note that your system is very unlikely to boot up with an existing copy of windoze containing all the drivers for your old ASUS MOBO; someone recently pointed out the easiest solution - a cheap, new SATA drive, with a fresh install, then xfer anything you want to the new system from the old drive...
!