Has Anyone OC'ed their Phenom II X4 965 BE with only the Stock Cooler?

gman24

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Yes I know it sounds a little crazy to do some OCing with only the stock cooler but I heard it was a decent one. :p

I am using an asus M4A79XTD EVO motherboard and the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W Processor.

I was just curious if any of you have had a successful stable OC using the stock cooler for the 965. If so, what were your voltages and clock speed?
I have mine at 18 multipliers (3.6 GHz), the CPU voltage is at 1.475 (increased), temp from 63-69 deg and it seems to be okay. I ran it with CPUZ to check everything and after two hours of running it on prime95 IFFT mode it seems stable (maybe needs extended testing hours). But if I OC the CPU to 3.7 GHz it'll crash about 15 minutes into the test. I read somewhere on www.hothardware.com that they had a voltage of 1.5V and they were able to have it run on 3.8 GHz (19 multipliers) stably using the stock cooler. Is that just some BS or am I not doing this right?

I want to hear your results on OC'ing the 965 so please reply. :)

gman24

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Update*

I lowered the voltage to 1.4375 and it lowered the temps down to an average of 61 deg. Also lowering the voltage to 1.4250 causes problems. It seems after trial and error this is the best setting for me.

stevo56

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
I increased the multiplier to get 4ghz without any drama using the stock cooler. It's noisy, the CPU fans are working hard so it sounds a little like a blender, but it seemed stable. I did some benchmarks and lowered the overclock down. I was surprised that it took the change so easily. I didn't play with voltages at all since I don't really know much about OC. I didn't try going any higher.

I usually run it at 10% OC using my ASUS M4A785T-M motherboard - it's a lot quieter at this level.

If you have a look at the following link it appears that, at high speed, the standard cooler is very good, but also very noisy.

stevo

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
58-60°C is the highest you should go up to and anywhere past that it's possible to damage your proc after long usage. 955/965s can do 3.8ghz with 1.4-1.45V, 3.9ghz is 1.475-1.5V+, 4ghz is the wall most people hit and requires anywhere from 1.475-1.55V+ This is with a 64-bit OS though, with a 32-bit OS, you can increase clocks 100-300mhz from the values on top using the same voltages.

You should be able to hit 4.0 easily with your chip, although it will require at least an aftermarket cooler. Save up $30-50 and enjoy! :D

You are crazy ;) , with the stock cooler you should be limited to 3.5/3.6Ghz unless you are in a room that is COLD....

Get an aftermarket like Kokin suggested and you will be fine...

stevo56

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

The evidence, based on the link I posted above, is that the stock cooler is very good, but it's noisy.

To quote from this link;
"With a 125W heat load applied, the AVC Z7U7414001 socket AM2
reference heatsink yields a very nice rise above ambient temperature at the slowest fan speed of 29.6°C, with just 48.1 dBA noise. When the Z7U7414001's fan speed is increased from 3800RPM to 5400RPM, the socket AM2 heatsink posts much cooler temperatures.... the best we've tested thus far in fact.

The full speed test produces about 63.0 dBA noise, but the rise above ambient temperature result drops to a record breaking 17.0°C rise above ambient temperature! "

The main concern I have with the Frostytech tests are that they are 4 years old and there may have made some changes to the cooler - looks very similar though.

PCstats did a range of benchmarks with the Phonom 965 using the stock cooler clocked at over 3.9 ghz without any apparent problems.

Crazy??? Probably!! I can only go by reviews and experiences of other users to determine what works and what doesn't.

stevo

Note - I am running Ubuntu 9.10 not Windows 7, maybe Linux is better in this area, hard to imagine.

gunnarhx

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I'd agree with mr OvrClkr.
I tried to push a 965 (140W) a bit with the , but the temps were rising so fast when running prime95 I immediately turned off the test....It would definitely run past 60C at 3.7 something.
I now run the 965 with my Thermalright 120 True Black and I seem to found the sweet spot around 3.9GHz at 46C or so. No need to say; the 120 is lightyears superior to the stock cooler.
Compared to other phenom, the 965 does have a better stock cooler though; I took the 965 cooler and put it on a Phenom II x3 730 and it cools it fine running at 3.6.... but said above; 965 is another powerhungry beast....

Look, when it comes to temps there are several factors :

Ambient Temp

Overall Airflow

Cable Management

Proper pasting/seating cooler

The sink that comes with the 965 is JUNK, now if you have a cold room it wll help a bit but in summer you will be screwed unless you have your AC on 24/7 ;)

and last but not least, don't pay attention to Frosty's website, it update's every now n then and it is not 100% accurate...

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I can attest that running the stock cooler for my 955 past 1.5V resulted in temps of 70-80C. That was with Arctic Silver 5 and I even lapped the stock cooler's base.

If you really can't afford an aftermarket cooler, you might be losing more money if you lose your CPU due to temp issues.

Get an aftermarket cooler and let that beast ROAR.

TRENDING THREADS