Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking my ATI HD 5770 Sapphire

Last response: in Overclocking
February 1, 2010 7:24:49 AM

Hey guys! So I was having trouble with overclocking my graphics card. It runs stable when I'm not playing a game or anything that requires too much of my GPU usage. The specs are---

Standard
core voltage 1125
core clock 850
memory clock 1200
fan speed 40%

Core Voltage: 1200
Core Clock (MHz): 940
Memory Clock (Mhz): 1400)
Fan Speed (%): User defined with certain temps increasing fan speed

I switched to MSI afterburner because when I attempted to use the catalyst overdrive software, I used the autotune and whatnot, it made my monitors turn different colors when I started overclocking them.

AND if I go past the benchmarks catalyst gives, the monitor changes different colors and I have to enter safe mode and uninstall the program.

I am not sure on what is exactly going on, I've been digging through internet forums and found nothing to no avail...
Thanks for your time and help
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2010 1:31:57 PM

Could your problem be related to:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Grey-Screen-Fix-58...

I also have the Sapphire 5770 and had no problem running the OC in CCC.
i5-750 @ 3.6 on Gigabyte p55-UM4P
Will switch over to it to get clocks

added:
Set to 950/1440. Ran furmark. FPS min = 62, Avg = 81, max = 4846. Bench score = 4846

CCC sure does take a long time to run, Never know what it is doing - Hate that!
February 1, 2010 5:11:18 PM

Hmm it kind of sounds like it, but I can't be 100% sure. It seems that my computer freezes and my monitor keeps blinking in out and from black screen to the color or back to black as if trying to refresh or re-recognize the resolutions? I'm not 100% sure what to say but maybe if I told u about my monitors. My main monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster 2032NW while my other one is an ooooooold monitor: DCL CD DCL7A. They both have the vga input which is connect to a HDMI changer to the end which plugs into my 5770. When I ran the video test my fps was min=80 max = 112 Avg = 110. I'm installing the newest catalyst driver now. I'll make sure I test it out after I take a nap lol. I just got back from an exam and I have an orgo exam tomorrow. But either way, thanks for the help!
Related resources
February 1, 2010 5:22:32 PM

Oh sorry and quick question. Changing my Core voltage would help stabilize the overclocking??
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2010 6:56:45 PM

I was using mine on a samsung T240 HD (24 in 1920 x 1200 w/Digital tuner) - Worked great.

I swapped that out for a Samsung P2770 HD (27 inch 1920 x 1080p w/Tunner). NOT as good as 24 in as a Monitor, but great for TV/Blu-ray.

Core voltage ?? - GPU card, or CPU vcore. I did not change anything for CPU, just used CCC and card was stable. For CPU, I first used Easytune 6 and set it for max OC (3.8 GHz). was stable during limited prime 95 test. Ran to warm for me ( it had raised Vcore ) backed Vcore back down to sligthly above stock - ran stable, but I knocked it down to 3.6 GHz.

Note: might want to include system specs (ie MB/Ram/PSU) - others may find it easier to answer your questions, espeacially if they have a simular set-up.
February 1, 2010 8:15:46 PM

Specs
CPU: Intel core 2 QUAD Q9550
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP43-UD3l

Robust Graphics: Auto
CPU clock ratio: 8
Fine CPU Clock: .5
3.52 (415X8.5)
CPU host clock control: Enabled
cpu Host frequency: 415
PCI express frequency: 100
CIA 2: disabled
System Memory Multiplier (SPD): 2.00D
(800 830)
DRAM Timing: manual
CAS 4
tRCD 4
tRP 4
tRAS 12
CPU Vcore 1.3V
CPU term 1.3v
CPU ref .807V
MCH Core Auto
ICH I/O 1.550V (normal)
Dram Voltage 1.9V

Case: E Lite cool master
Ram: Kingston HyperX T1 DDR2 1066 Dual channel
Video Card: Radeon HD SAPPHIRE 5770
Cooler unit: Zalman 9500A 92mm 2Ball
February 1, 2010 8:32:18 PM

okay so another note to add. When I overclock to 900 core clock, 1440 memory clock using the ATI catalyst, the screen for my monitor starts freaking out. Its not techinicalyl tearing because the tears are mobile and they just keep moving up and down the monitor. Then when I try print screening the image, nothing shows up. After that issue, I tried running Modern Warfare 2 with the newest catalyst driver, with the overclocks, and then my computer froze up lol. Driving me crazy. On top of that I cant overclock my cpu past 3.5 but I posted that on CPU section.
February 2, 2010 8:42:21 AM

i found that if i kept the core clock to 885, it was much more stable...and the toms review showed better clocks at lower core, and higher memory
February 4, 2010 4:41:10 PM

and11590, when you say it "freaks out" what do you mean? When I first enabled ATI overdrive in my fresh windows 7 install i had some serious issues with screen flicker, it would render random sections of the correct image in the wrong spot for like half a second or less (just looked like a flash but every once in awhile I would catch that it was another part of the image on the screen). I was able to resolve this problem by editing my overclock profiles .xml file and telling it to idle my GPU and memory at thier stock (400 and 1200 respectively) idle values.

A note on that, the GPU clock seems to have little to do with the flashing (I can idle that basically wherever) but if I change the memory idle spot even a little the issue returns.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2010 12:10:51 AM

micky_lund said:
i found that if i kept the core clock to 885, it was much more stable...and the toms review showed better clocks at lower core, and higher memory

That is what I've read as well - it seems to be due to DDR5 having error correction on the memory where if there is an error it will resend the data and once there are many errors being corrected due to the OC it actually slows the processing (unlike DDR3 where you would get artifacting due to the errors that went uncorrected).
February 5, 2010 1:51:39 AM

hmm thanks a lot guys I tried it out and it worked! :D  Appreciate it!! :love:  One more quick question, if I'm using MSI Afterburner, do I have to keep the program running for the user defined fan speed %? :bounce: 
February 18, 2010 9:48:00 PM

Hando567 said:
and11590, when you say it "freaks out" what do you mean? When I first enabled ATI overdrive in my fresh windows 7 install i had some serious issues with screen flicker, it would render random sections of the correct image in the wrong spot for like half a second or less (just looked like a flash but every once in awhile I would catch that it was another part of the image on the screen). I was able to resolve this problem by editing my overclock profiles .xml file and telling it to idle my GPU and memory at thier stock (400 and 1200 respectively) idle values.

A note on that, the GPU clock seems to have little to do with the flashing (I can idle that basically wherever) but if I change the memory idle spot even a little the issue returns.

I know this has been resolved but Im running Afterburner on my Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X to achieve 960/1400. After overclocking I run into the same issue of artifacts appearing in 2d use as the clocks default to 160/300 while the card idles. As a workaround I simply set 2 profiles, 1.(for games 960/1400) and 2.(for apps 860/1200). How did you properly edit your xml file to default the overclocked profile to 400mhz as you described?
!