INCORRECT VOLUME OF HARD DRVE

don2993

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
My computer recently crashed, I tried everything I could think of to fix it, but I was afraid of losing the programs and the information on the hard drive, (WD SATA 320 GB). So I purchased a new hd, (HITACHI SATA 2 TB), I installed it and tried to re-install the os, but I couldn't. I purchased a new copy, full version of Windows xp pro sp3, (NTFS filing system). I formated the new hd, installed the windows xp pro. But windows expl. showed the new hard drive as 80 GB. I put the orig hd back in the second slot, (all of the information was intact), windows expl showed that hd as having the correct volume 320 GB. I went to device manager, and looked at the properties of the new hd, I populated the volume and it showed the available volume as the full 2 TB, but on the bottom it showed (partition c) as having only 80GB, and windows expl still said 80 GB. I ran chckdsk and it didn't make any difference. How can I change the volume in windows expl?

Try downloading a program like partition magic to see if there isn't an issue with the partitioning on the drive. It seems like only 80gb was allocated to begin with. You should be able to pull in the rest of the unallocated space with partition magic or some other similar program.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, Partition Magic can add unused space on the new HDD to the existing Partition called C:, as long as there are no other Partitions defined on it and using space right after the C: Partition.

There is another alternative for your case. If I understand it right, you installed Win XP Pro on an empty new 2TB unit but it has this small 80 GB C: Partition. You have not used this new installation for anything major and you do NOT have any data on that new drive you need to save. If that is the case, the simple solution is just to re-do the installation, but do it properly.

Do this ONLY if you do NOT need to save any information on the 2 TB unit!

1. Re-install the 2 TB HDD and disconnect the older 320 GB unit. Put your Win XP Pro SP3 Install CD into your optical drive. Boot directly into BIOS and ensure the new drive is set up. Unless you plan to install the necessary driver from a floppy disk, make sure the SATA port mode is set only to IDE (or PATA) Emulation. Your Boot Priority Sequence should be set to use the HDD second, after the optical drive. Save and Exit to boot from the Install disk.
2. Early in the Install look for menu items to Delete the Partition that already exists so that your HDD is truly empty.
3. In Creating the new Primary Partition, look for how you customize the size. Apparently last time you accepted some default of 80 GB, and that's what you do NOT want to do again. Set the size to what you want - maybe the entire 2 TB. The rest of the process ought to be straightforward.

This should get you where you want to be. After you have installed XP, update all the device drivers. Then update XP itself. With that all done, shut down and reconnect the old drive, ensure its SATA port is set up in BIOS and put to IDE Emulation mode too, but it is NOT included in the Boot Priority Sequence. Now you should have full access to the contents of the 320 GB older unit for copying, etc.