Sign in with
Your question

Wmp 11 does not show in add/remove

Last response: in Windows XP
March 19, 2011 6:28:18 PM

i cant get it removed. i deleted entries from regedit and it still is on my pc. it won't let me install wmp9 cuz it says a more recent version is installed. i can remove wmp from the add/remove window components but it doesn't really remove wmp11, it's just fake.

can u help?

More about : wmp show add remove

March 21, 2011 11:53:32 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Since you started removing things manually you may have issues if you removed files the program needs to uninstall.

Look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934372

I fllowed those instructions several different times and it does not work. there's either errors or after accomplishing a task the desired end result still does not occur.

There has to be a way of doing this. Microsoft gives a lame method.

I even did a fresh install of Windows SP2 and tried to remove it without using regedit at all, SEVERAL ways, including the ways MSFT says and still the problem persists.

So you see, it's not because of regedit editing.

I think one time in the past I was able to get the files required by MSFT in the windows diectory but I think it meant installing SP3 but that caused so many problems and still wasn't able to remove the WMP11. That was a ways back.

To me, WMP is like a spy program and I don't want it.

Anyone else have a good suggestion to getting this accomplished?
m
l
Related resources
March 22, 2011 12:59:26 PM

What were the errors? Do you have the files they talk about in Step 2 in the link?
m
l
March 24, 2011 2:16:16 PM

I do not have the files referred to step 2. I did have before, at least what I thought were the correct ones that I copied from some place but since deleted because MSFT was reporting that there was still something missing or that those files were not correct.

Errors include MSFT saying I can't install WMP 9 because I have a more recent version.
Showing uopdates in control panel's add/remove programs does not show WMP11 at all and i don't ever recall it being in there.
Adding WMP 11 via add window compnonents did nothing to bring it to the add/remove progra, window to be able to try to delete. Removing wmp11 via the remove window components did not remove WMP11 etc.
m
l
March 31, 2011 3:57:26 AM

So even though there are a few ways to fix this, those methods do not work for me and likely not for many others. I could do a fresh install of winXP and still not be able to delete WMP11 following any directions given by MSFT or others. Surely there has to be a good way to get around how MSFT is controlling this.
m
l
March 31, 2011 10:25:44 PM

New XP setup would not have 11 installed, I think it comes with 9. If you really want to re-install the OS to get rid of 11. You can turn of updates to not have it update media player.
m
l
April 1, 2011 3:35:20 AM

I reinstalled winxp and when trying to install wmp9 it tells me there is a more recent version already installed.

this is a circular argument.
m
l
April 1, 2011 1:48:51 PM

Base XP has wmp9, maybe 8 in it as a fresh install, what version do you have? Maybe the SP3 version has 10, but I don't think so.
m
l
April 4, 2011 3:11:01 AM

11 is on my pc right now, not through my choice. I temporatily had sp3 installed but it was a hog so i removed it. my xp would thus be version 2 according to the disk from the fresh install. not sure if files from the xp3 is causing all this problem as perhaps it never fully got deleted even when win xp was installed several times since.
m
l
April 4, 2011 1:49:26 PM

Unless you re-install XP now you will keep version 11 even if you roll-back SP3.
m
l
April 4, 2011 5:18:11 PM

I don't understand what you mean. I want WMP11 gone completely. I don't mind if WMP 9 is installed. Are you saying I must install SP3 which is huge???
m
l
April 4, 2011 5:22:37 PM

t1t1t1 said:
I don't understand what you mean. I want WMP11 gone completely. I don't mind if WMP 9 is installed. Are you saying I must install SP3 which is huge???

You need to re-install XP, not just the service pack. If you can't uninstall WMP 11 with everything you tried, the only other choice is to install XP fresh, and ensure that the auto-updates don't install WMP when they run. The base XP comes with either WMP 8 or 9.
m
l
April 4, 2011 5:26:14 PM

I did that 4 times! no autoupdating updating was done and even had my modem off but once it's installed i am told that a newer version of wmp is on my pc so that wmp 9 cannot be installed.
m
l
April 4, 2011 5:34:21 PM

After you installed XP, did you open WMP to see what version it was? Or did you just try to install 9? I can guarantee you that a clean setup of XP, unless you somehow got a slipstreamed or a vendor restore disk, will not have WMP 11 on it, and I'm 99% sure that it also won't have 10.
m
l
April 8, 2011 8:20:43 AM

Because my sonud got hijacked somehow - curious how it can happen as it has many times in the past and is unrecoverable unless i reinstall winXP.

So I reinstalled WINXP once again and here is what I have: No official WMP11 works without me going through a setup. I have WMP9 install program but it gets reported that my version of windows has a more recent version of WMP upon trying to install it.

I tried clicking on a file that shows WMP on it (a movie file) but it brings me to a window saying i have to validate my copy and I am not going to do that.

So I am left installing WMP11 or not having any other WMP version.

Maybe this is ok but would certainly like my PC to be able to play WMP files using WMP version 9 and not 11.

m
l
!