john burrows

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Hello,
im not sure if my bios is set right.. and the hook ups for my hard drive and my disk drive are correct. my computer stop booting up so i was trying to figure out why. i tried to reinstall the disk but my disk drive quit working so now i dont know if i have it hook up right or what the bios should read

Xybertek

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
After you enter the BIOS usually by pressing either [F2] or [DEL], the first screen you see will list the drives which your BIOS can detect. You CD/DVD drive would have a label like "DVD-ROM XXXXX", hard disks will be depending on brand say for example if its a seagate it will read [STXXXXXXX] X being a series of numbers or for Western Digital its [WDXXXXX] X being a series of numbers.

If you can see that the BIOS detects your hard disk then you have hooked it up correctly. If you still cannot boot then there's something wrong with the installed operating system or your hard disk is damaged.

If the BIOS cannot detect your hard disk then it is either hooked up wrong or your hard disk is damaged.