Is this game worth starting up in now?

Last response: in Video Games
May 24, 2005 8:52:18 AM

I've been lurking here at at the SoE SWG boards, and it seems that the
game might well be on its last legs from the "Combat Upgrade" that
seems to have remade the entire game. Is that a fair statement, or
have the subscription numbers been somewhat stable?

I admit it, watching Ep III has again rekindled my SW interest, and
since I'm going to be getting a new PC in the next month or two, I
would actually have one able to handle the game's requirements (my
current PC is 5 years old). I'm seriously considering getting the new
SWG bundle due out tomorrow.

On the other hand, I just left EQ for disinterest (and server merges
and the like), and having the same management team that made one game
uninteresting (EQ) might not be a smart move.

Finally, I (probably like everyone else) would love to eventually play
a Jedi. Is this a reasonable desire and goal, especially if one solos
more often than not? Or am I simply trading one SoE headache for
another and jumping onto another game that might be on the way out?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

Take it and run.

Earl Allison

More about : game worth starting

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 9:57:11 AM

Psyberowl wrote:>
> I hope that helps.
> Is it perfect, no.
> Did I like some things from Pre-CU better...absolutely
> Would I go back to Pre-CU game now after I've gotten used to the new
> system... I really don't know.
> Can you do Jedi under the new system...yes, but you've got to be
patient.
> VERY Patient.

Thanks to you and Clawhound both. I think, once the new PC is here, I
will give it a shot.

All the advice is much appreciated (although the XP loss sounds pretty
painful -- although I suppose it prevents there from being nothing BUT
Jedi on the servers).

Again, many thanks.

Take it and run.

Earl Allison
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 12:32:43 PM

That's hard to say. You would have the advantage of not having played under
the old, Pre-CU system and thus you wouldn't be bothered by the recent
changes. I've had my Main account since September of 03 and still play, as
well as maintaining (still) 3 alternate accounts. I've come to like some
parts of the CU, and there are others that I really don't like. They're due
to have a large number of bugs fixed in the next few days with Publish 17.
That will fix at least some of my personal complaints, but not all.

I recently started a new character on a different server so I could try out
the low level game since most of my chars are at or nearly at completed
templates. At low levels, Solo play is difficult. Grouping with a few
people for a little while will help you earn money easier and level up
skills easier. Once you have an Elite Combat Profession (assuming you're
going that route) you can solo things a bit easier if that's your preferred
way of playing.

As far as Jedi goes, that will be a very difficult path if you're determined
to try it. And, it's designed to make you not want to play a Jedi. If you
really want a Jedi, the easiest way to get it is to work on it, but not as a
primary goal. It takes a lot of converted normal XP to Force Sensitive XP
to even qualify for the Padawan Trials. Once you actually become a Padawan,
you're looking at a grind of 30 Million or so Jedi XP (which would be about
150 Million normal profession XP). Jedi who are seen (within 32 meters) by
an NPC or PC will gain visibility. When you visibility hits a certain
threshold, your name appears on the Bounty Hunter Terminals where PC Bounty
Hunters will be able to take your mission. Their bounty is 1000 Credits per
Skill Point you've spent on Jedi Skills, if they deathblow you, you lose
double that XP. Know this going in as many people don't realize it. Even
those of us that realize it, don't necessarily like it... But, this is one
of the checks on Jedi Population (not that it's really helped to date).

Jedi can level solo, but it's not easy and most of the newer/younger
padawans complain that it's impossible to do solo, and that doing it in a
group grants too much visibility which brings BHs which loses them XP.

Honestly, at this point, I'm still having fun, but I know a lot of people
have quit due to the CU. Remember the first thing that I said though, their
discontent stems from having played under the old Combat System, that
wouldn't be a hindrance for you. Could I leave in the near future, maybe...
But then with paying for my 4 accts plus my roommate, I'm into SOE for
$75/mo, so leaving could be financially based just as easily as not being
happy with the game.

Is it worth picking up? At $30 for the package and the first month, you can
get it with little risk and if you don't like it, you're only out $30. It's
$15/mo after that. The Total Experience package coming out on 5/25 will
have the Jump to Lightspeed Expansion and Rage of the Wookies as well. JtL
is a fairly fun, though also somewhat simple space shooter game. If you
like that type of thing, you might never be on the ground except to sell
stuff or get healed, etc.

Yes, a lot of people are leaving the game, and SOE is expecting Episode 3 to
spark a lot of people to try the game... In the long run, now may be a good
time to start as there will likely be a lot of fellow newbies about in the
near future.

I hope that helps.
Is it perfect, no.
Did I like some things from Pre-CU better...absolutely
Would I go back to Pre-CU game now after I've gotten used to the new
system... I really don't know.
Can you do Jedi under the new system...yes, but you've got to be patient.
VERY Patient.

The Bar-erras Clan
Lillian Rose: Master Smuggler/4444 Bounty Hunter (almost Master)
Wellendyl: Master Artisan/Master Tailor/Master Image Designer/0404
Merchant/Novice CorSec Pilot
Razachtel: Master Doctor/Master Dancer/ 0230 Politician/ 1211 CorSec Pilot
Klynyrya: Master Rifleman/Master Bio-Engineer/3333 Alliance Pilot
Ovos: Master Lightsaber/4000 Jedi Healer/4140 Jedi Defender/3003 Jedi
Enhancer (2 Million XP from Final Temp).

"Earl Allison" <eallison@tiac.net> wrote in message
> I've been lurking here at at the SoE SWG boards, and it seems that the
> game might well be on its last legs from the "Combat Upgrade" that
> seems to have remade the entire game. Is that a fair statement, or
> have the subscription numbers been somewhat stable?
>
> I admit it, watching Ep III has again rekindled my SW interest, and
> since I'm going to be getting a new PC in the next month or two, I
> would actually have one able to handle the game's requirements (my
> current PC is 5 years old). I'm seriously considering getting the new
> SWG bundle due out tomorrow.
>
> On the other hand, I just left EQ for disinterest (and server merges
> and the like), and having the same management team that made one game
> uninteresting (EQ) might not be a smart move.
>
> Finally, I (probably like everyone else) would love to eventually play
> a Jedi. Is this a reasonable desire and goal, especially if one solos
> more often than not? Or am I simply trading one SoE headache for
> another and jumping onto another game that might be on the way out?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.
>
> Take it and run.
>
> Earl Allison

May 24, 2005 12:37:36 PM

Earl Allison wrote:

> I've been lurking here at at the SoE SWG boards, and it seems that the
> game might well be on its last legs from the "Combat Upgrade" that
> seems to have remade the entire game. Is that a fair statement, or
> have the subscription numbers been somewhat stable?
>
> I admit it, watching Ep III has again rekindled my SW interest, and
> since I'm going to be getting a new PC in the next month or two, I
> would actually have one able to handle the game's requirements (my
> current PC is 5 years old). I'm seriously considering getting the new
> SWG bundle due out tomorrow.
>
> On the other hand, I just left EQ for disinterest (and server merges
> and the like), and having the same management team that made one game
> uninteresting (EQ) might not be a smart move.
>
> Finally, I (probably like everyone else) would love to eventually play
> a Jedi. Is this a reasonable desire and goal, especially if one solos
> more often than not? Or am I simply trading one SoE headache for
> another and jumping onto another game that might be on the way out?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.
>
> Take it and run.
>
> Earl Allison

If you want to play a Jedi, get Lego Star Wars or any other stand-alone
game. If you go SwG, you can get a Jedi, but it's a long time NOT being
a jedi before you get there.

The game can be fun. Even the new combat system can be fun. But, this
will take a while. They have to balance the game for a while.

CH
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 12:06:44 AM

Personally I love Star Wars Galaxies. I played it for a year before
the CU and quit when I became frustrated with it. Then a week ago I
too was excited about Ep3 and, when hearing about the CU, decided to
give the game another shot. I have to say that I am loving the game
even more now, and prefer the CU over the old system. There are
problems of course, but I too suggest you at least give it a shot.

If you're looking for help or need someone for a hunt, give me a shout
out either of these servers.

Rola'and Deadwood - Radiant
Jick Duraango - Naritus
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 12:41:37 AM

You raise some points I've always thought about myself. Why is
everyone jedi crazy in SWG when every other single Lucasarts game
offers you that ability. Want to go nuts with forcepowers and duel one
on one online? Play the Jedi Knight PC games. Want to rpg Jedi? KOTOR.
Just want to lightsaber hack and slash? The new Episode 3 game.

I totally agree that SWG can be fun if played with right mind. I love
it for the chance to be immersed in the SW universe and play with the
other facets such as Bounty hunters and smugglers. And above all its
just a glorified chat program which I like most of all.

On Tue, 24 May 2005 08:37:36 -0400, Clawhound <none@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Earl Allison wrote:
>
>> I've been lurking here at at the SoE SWG boards, and it seems that the
>> game might well be on its last legs from the "Combat Upgrade" that
>> seems to have remade the entire game. Is that a fair statement, or
>> have the subscription numbers been somewhat stable?
>>
>> I admit it, watching Ep III has again rekindled my SW interest, and
>> since I'm going to be getting a new PC in the next month or two, I
>> would actually have one able to handle the game's requirements (my
>> current PC is 5 years old). I'm seriously considering getting the new
>> SWG bundle due out tomorrow.
>>
>> On the other hand, I just left EQ for disinterest (and server merges
>> and the like), and having the same management team that made one game
>> uninteresting (EQ) might not be a smart move.
>>
>> Finally, I (probably like everyone else) would love to eventually play
>> a Jedi. Is this a reasonable desire and goal, especially if one solos
>> more often than not? Or am I simply trading one SoE headache for
>> another and jumping onto another game that might be on the way out?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.
>>
>> Take it and run.
>>
>> Earl Allison
>>

>If you want to play a Jedi, get Lego Star Wars or any other stand-alone
>game. If you go SwG, you can get a Jedi, but it's a long time NOT being
>a jedi before you get there.
>
>The game can be fun. Even the new combat system can be fun. But, this
>will take a while. They have to balance the game for a while.
>
>CH
May 28, 2005 6:35:06 AM

"Micky Durango" <mdurango@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You raise some points I've always thought about myself. Why is
> everyone jedi crazy in SWG when every other single Lucasarts game
> offers you that ability. Want to go nuts with forcepowers and duel one
> on one online? Play the Jedi Knight PC games. Want to rpg Jedi? KOTOR.
> Just want to lightsaber hack and slash? The new Episode 3 game.
>
> I totally agree that SWG can be fun if played with right mind. I love
> it for the chance to be immersed in the SW universe and play with the
> other facets such as Bounty hunters and smugglers. And above all its
> just a glorified chat program which I like most of all.

Your very correct with that last statement and its one of the reasons I love
the game as well. I wont say all people but in general people in SWG are
more friendly then in other games (when grouping with them and just
generally out in the world) why? Because we all have to rely on each others
professions to get through the game.. everyone needs entertainers to heal
their battle fatigue, everyone needs doctors to heal their wounds, everyone
needs armorsmiths, weaponsmiths, tailors and so on for their clothing
requirements and weaponry, everyone needs archetects and so on if they want
houses furnature or any other building, basically everyone is needed for
something and everyone has to rely on someone else in order to provide it
(IE if vendors werent stocked most people would have nothing to buy :) )
The game is designed for a certain amount of casual socializing rather then
it all being about the kills which is what makes it stand out from all other
MMO's I've ever played (EQ, WoW etc)
!