Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Getting 1600MHz DDR3 to run at 1600MHz (AM3)

Last response: in Overclocking
February 1, 2010 4:39:13 PM

I'm having a heck of a time getting my Patriot DDR3 to run at 1600MHz.

Memory Info:
Viper II Sector 5 2x2GB PC3-12800 1600MHz
PD000200-PW34G1600LLKB

By default, it runs at 533 (1066MHz).
Using the XMP profiles from CPU-Z, it tells me that i should be able to use the following timings.
7.0-7-7-20-38-2T @ 800 MHz (1.700 Volts)

I entered the timings manually in the BIOS. However, Prime95 locks up almost immediately (with. (does run stable at 1333).

So after almost a day of fooling with the timings, i decide to set all the timings to auto and let AMD overdrive decide the latencies and just change the speed to 800MHz. I get the following screenshot.

http://yfrog.com/eu16001errorsettings17vp

Note that it changed my DDR Voltage to over 2.0V which alarmed me somewhat and i immediately toned it down to 1.7V. But i left the timings alone and ran Prime 95. After 2 min i get the following with 1 error, but no crash.

http://yfrog.com/eu16001errorp

So i decided to up the voltage 1.8V and ran the test again. 10 minutes stable before i stopped the test.

My question:
1) The timings are much looser than suggested by the XMP profile, do XMP profiles not apply to AMD systems?
2) What's a reasonable voltage for these dimms? I know the suggested voltages are low because some of the intel processors have a 1.65V memory max. Anyone have experience with DDR3 on AM3 systems?

Cheerios

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2010 7:30:22 PM

First off forget about Overdrive...

Go into the Bios, make sure you key in the timings/frequency/voltage MANUALLY.

Once this is done, save and boot.

As long as you set your ram (BIOS) as specified by the manufacturer you will be fine, if you DO NOT set the values correctly in the Bios you will end-up troubleshooting FOREVER....

The AM3 memory controller cannot handle speeds over 1650Mhz, so make sure you have your frequency set to 800 (1600Mhz) and your FSB at 200 (stock).

Here is an example on how I set my 1600Mhz RAM :

Frequency is at 800Mhz and Voltage at 1.95v ;) 
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2010 7:49:07 PM

NIce settings there OVrClkr - what Ram do you have ??
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2010 7:53:11 PM

JDFan said:
NIce settings there OVrClkr - what Ram do you have ??

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (1600Mhz) 1.85/1.95v

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I normally run them at 7-7-7-20-27-1T, 6-6-6-18-24-1T is only achievable (AM3) if you lower the frequency to 1333Mhz and then raise the Bus....
February 2, 2010 10:40:27 PM

TY for the suggestions. So i went into BIOS and manually entered in the frequency and manufacturer's suggested timings ( i think they were 7-7-7-20-38) and set voltage at 1.7 as suggested by manufacturer --> Reboot but still not passing Prime95. After doing a fair bit of research i decided that i was probably ok raising the voltage a tiny bit since it seems like only the intel boards have the strict voltage limits. Seems to be running fine now @ 1.8V.
February 2, 2010 10:44:54 PM

Best answer selected by schwizer.
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2010 11:50:55 PM

schwizer said:
TY for the suggestions. So i went into BIOS and manually entered in the frequency and manufacturer's suggested timings ( i think they were 7-7-7-20-38) and set voltage at 1.7 as suggested by manufacturer --> Reboot but still not passing Prime95. After doing a fair bit of research i decided that i was probably ok raising the voltage a tiny bit since it seems like only the intel boards have the strict voltage limits. Seems to be running fine now @ 1.8V.

Sorry for the delay ;) 

Is this your RAM?

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Memory/DDR3/D...(PC3-12800)/Patriot+Viper+II+%22Sector+5%22+4GB+(2x2GB)+DDR3+PC3-12800C7+1600MHz+Dual+Channel+Kit+?productId=39264

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2010 12:16:28 AM

OvrClkr said:
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (1600Mhz) 1.85/1.95v

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I normally run them at 7-7-7-20-27-1T, 6-6-6-18-24-1T is only achievable (AM3) if you lower the frequency to 1333Mhz and then raise the Bus....

Thanks - I'll keep them in mind when I go to get some more RAM in awhile - I've got a 2GB kit of Crucial Ballistix 1800 CAS8 1.9V that run well at 1600 @1.7V 8-8-8-24 1T and seem like I can go further with a bit more Voltage but waiting on the CPU H\S before really trying any heavy OCing on the system(got them for $54) but they seem to have stopped making the kits so I'll probably have to just get a 4gb kit and keep these 2 as backups if the new kit doesn't want to play nice with these. (budget was a bit tight when upgrading and it was either drop down from the 5770 (and anything less just didn't seem worth the investment) or just get the 2gb so that seemed the way to go at the time (though if I had known the way RAM prices were headed lately I might have gone the other route at the time !!)

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2010 1:54:12 AM

JDFan said:
Thanks - I'll keep them in mind when I go to get some more RAM in awhile - I've got a 2GB kit of Crucial Ballistix 1800 CAS8 1.9V that run well at 1600 @1.7V 8-8-8-24 1T and seem like I can go further with a bit more Voltage but waiting on the CPU H\S before really trying any heavy OCing on the system(got them for $54) but they seem to have stopped making the kits so I'll probably have to just get a 4gb kit and keep these 2 as backups if the new kit doesn't want to play nice with these. (budget was a bit tight when upgrading and it was either drop down from the 5770 (and anything less just didn't seem worth the investment) or just get the 2gb so that seemed the way to go at the time (though if I had known the way RAM prices were headed lately I might have gone the other route at the time !!)

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc189/JDFanning_bucket/xxx.jpg

If you are running an AM3 you will not get much after 1600Mhz, my suggestion would be to make sure they are at 1600Mhz (800) and you are giving it the correct voltage, there should be no need to overvolt them anyways since the run fine at their rated voltage. If you want tighter timings you need to lower the DIMM Frequency and raise the Bus....
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2010 12:54:37 PM

OvrClkr said:
If you are running an AM3 you will not get much after 1600Mhz, my suggestion would be to make sure they are at 1600Mhz (800) and you are giving it the correct voltage, there should be no need to overvolt them anyways since the run fine at their rated voltage. If you want tighter timings you need to lower the DIMM Frequency and raise the Bus....

That is the Plan - I have a cooler master TX3 Heatsink\Fan that I picked up from Newegg for $4.99 including shipping (they had them on sale for $14.99 and had sent me a $10 off next purchase coupon !!) coming Friday - I know it's not the best but for the X3 720 I have it should be plenty since it is a fairly low TDP chip and the TX3 seems to perform well with up to about 120W Dissapation before it starts having a hard time with the heat buillding up and I've also got a second 92mm fan to set it up with a push\pull setup if needed (it's got to be alot better than the stock cooler) - The stock HS just doesn't keep the CPU cool enough to try pushing the FSB up but once it gets here I'm hoping to be able to increase the bus without having to decrease the DIMM frequency !! (the northbridge and southbridge are running pretty cool and the DDR3 1800 rated chips should give me the leeway to get a decent bus increase (at the time of purchase the 1800 was $10 cheaper than the 1600 modules with the same timings so I figured they would provide a bit more potential even though the AMD chips can't go much higher than 1600 ).
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2010 5:42:25 PM

JDFan said:
That is the Plan - I have a cooler master TX3 Heatsink\Fan that I picked up from Newegg for $4.99 including shipping (they had them on sale for $14.99 and had sent me a $10 off next purchase coupon !!) coming Friday - I know it's not the best but for the X3 720 I have it should be plenty since it is a fairly low TDP chip and the TX3 seems to perform well with up to about 120W Dissapation before it starts having a hard time with the heat buillding up and I've also got a second 92mm fan to set it up with a push\pull setup if needed (it's got to be alot better than the stock cooler) - The stock HS just doesn't keep the CPU cool enough to try pushing the FSB up but once it gets here I'm hoping to be able to increase the bus without having to decrease the DIMM frequency !! (the northbridge and southbridge are running pretty cool and the DDR3 1800 rated chips should give me the leeway to get a decent bus increase (at the time of purchase the 1800 was $10 cheaper than the 1600 modules with the same timings so I figured they would provide a bit more potential even though the AMD chips can't go much higher than 1600 ).

Sweet ;) 

Don't worry about the memory limitation, 1600Mhz with low timings is enough for anything you will throw at it...

Once you get all your parts keep us posted [:jaydeejohn:5]
February 4, 2010 2:47:18 AM

yes thats my ram...
!