Sign in with
Your question

Is this store bought worth it

Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2008 2:25:08 AM

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/iBUYPOWER-Gamer-Tempest-... is this worth it or would ibe better off building a gaming machine. The only reason i ask is because i never have built one before and am very nervous about issue that may/will arise and my lack of experiance in being able to fix it.

More about : store bought worth

October 14, 2008 2:39:26 AM

You could build a nicer system for that cost but if you would rather not build your own then that is why the pre-made systems are made.
Edit: It's a pretty nice system; but no monitor. It really comes down to personal choice; if you're willing to put in the effort of building your own you could definitely benefit. But again, if it's just too much of a PITA then it isn't a bad box.
Related resources
October 14, 2008 2:47:17 AM

Consider the Insprion 530 here....

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.asp...

If you buy the Quad Core model, it ships with a PSU that will handle the 8800GT which you can buy seperately.

Now, building your own will give the best bang for the buck, but I know that is not everyone's think.
October 14, 2008 2:58:33 AM

There is no better time to learn than now. Not only will you get a new computer, but you will also get the knowledge gained by building it.

Prebuilt = cheap parts and locked BIOS.
October 14, 2008 3:08:25 AM

The questions is out of the many computers you all build how many times to you have issues? For example if you build 10 computers all the same with the same parts ordered from the same website what percentage of the time do you have issues? Also out of that percentage what is the difficulty of those issues to resolve? Advanved knowledge some knowledge expert knowledge?
October 14, 2008 3:11:48 AM

There's only one way to find out and build the confidence required to undertake tasks which you were previously unable to do.
October 14, 2008 3:18:41 AM

I say build it yourself. You can actually make a better rig that way. The biggest risk is electrostatic discharge (ESD). One of the best places to buy parts is newegg.com, and they are cheap.
October 14, 2008 3:33:24 AM

The OEM computers have problems too. Problems are why we are here.

We can't help you fix it, but we will suffer along side you. :lol:  Just kidding, or am I?

Do some homework to get a handle on things. Ask questions before you order and during your build and you shouldn't have any problems, barring a bad component.

There are only nine parts to a basic computer. How hard do you think it is? It's not brain surgery.
October 14, 2008 3:37:35 AM

My hammer lodged deeply into a cheap PSU = 10th part?
October 14, 2008 4:09:11 AM

If you can insert a plug into a wall outlet and insert a slice of bread into a toaster, then you can build your own computer.

I bought my first computer in 1984. I have been upgrading and building ever since. I also build pc's for friends, neighbors, and girlfriends. For the past two years I have been doing case mods too. When you fire up the pc and it comes to life you know you've done a good job. It is a very satisfying experience.

If you do a little research, shop carefully, be patient, and watch for sales you can save quite a bit of money and build a better machine, especially if you are a gamer.

Purchase brand name quality parts from reliable vendors like newegg. In the unlikely event you receive a defective part vendors like newegg are very very good about replacing the part or issuing refunds.

Good Luck!
October 14, 2008 4:12:36 AM

If you must know, the Gateway is a better system mainly because of the 9800GT, which is better than the 9600GT.
October 14, 2008 4:17:51 AM

LMAO you make a really good point crow, and all of you that took the time to respond to my questions thank you. If you ever need advice on cleaning your carpets or spots in them let me know I will help if I can. I am going to build my own computer here is a list of the parts that I am going to build it with let me know what you think if you fell like it.

XCLIO A380BK Fully Black High Gloss Finish SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #:A380BK

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

GIGABYTE GV-R485ZL-512H Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX8500AD2K2/4GR - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

SAMSUNG ToC T220 Rose-Black 22" 2ms GTG Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

LG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner w/ SecurDisc Tech Black SATA Model GH20NS15 - OEM

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

October 14, 2008 4:20:15 AM

All parts are of fof newegg
October 14, 2008 6:52:46 AM

First I would steer clear of Asus they are just no good when it comes to customer support. I buy DFI and Abit, with some MSI.

Second I buy Seagate hard drives as they have the 5 years warranty.

Get the Xigmatek HDT-S1284 cooler it works better.
October 14, 2008 8:06:07 AM

It all looks good to me. I'm not up on the latest display. There are plenty of threads on THG about peoples preferences. I personally like the WD6400AAKS hard drive.

The most important thing is to get the backplate for which ever Xigmatek you choose. Do not use the push pin mounting system, it's complete crap.

Here is the one for the HDT-S1283 in your post. XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket

Here is the 4 pipe version and the associated bracket.
XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE
XIGMATEK ACK-I7753 Retention Bracket For 4 heatpipes model only

October 14, 2008 11:09:59 AM

For a first time build i'd go with this 2x2 GB DDR2 800 1.8v RAM. It'll cause fewer problems for a new builder and is excellent RAM for anyone.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the Corsair 650w is more than enough power for your system (even if you crossfire 4850s in the future) and saves you $20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and listen to Zorg and get the bracket, push pin mounting sucks

That's a good system build, much better value then the store bought one and well worth your time to build it yourself.
!