Sign in with
Your question

Weird hard drive behavior, intel x-25 raid 0

Last response: in Storage
March 19, 2010 12:52:45 AM

Recently my hard drives have been acting weird, this is going to be hard to explain but ill do my best.

Every now and then my hard drives will just start doing something, the hard drive activity LED on my case just stays on, it doesnt flicker or anything, when this happens I cant really run any programs, iTunes will not boot up, some of my games wont even boot up, the windows system health report wont even work correctly, it just hangs on the page were it says collecting information for 60 seconds. Ive looked through task manager I dont see anything unusual, i even check the performance monitor and theres nothing unusual in there also. Even when I try and shut the computer down, it will sit on the shut down screen for longer than normal, and then when the monitor turns off this is when the computer turns off also, but it stays on and the hard drive LED is still on. Is this intel's version of garbage collect? It never did this when I just had one SSD

This is extremely frustrating and im about ready to reformat, even though this windows installation is not even a week old. I have all of the required tweaks for a SSD to run correctly, so I cannot figure this out.

If I just leave it on and let it do its thing, when it finally finishes, I still cannot run some programs, sometimes if I restart it will not do it again and then I can play my games and run iTunes, but also sometimes when I restart after it has finished, it will do it again once it turns back on
a c 127 G Storage
March 19, 2010 11:09:33 AM

So have you checked if one of your drives is running in PIO mode? Sounds like it, and you've only been the 300 millionth person affected by it.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
March 19, 2010 4:43:42 PM

Is it possible you've arrived at the computer just at the point where it's going into sleep mode? I've found that if I try to do something after the computer has decided to sleep but before it actually shuts itself down then it behaves somewhat as you've described. I've now learned that when I return to the computer from a break to check the activity lights before I start trying to do something - if I wait for it to actually sleep then it wakes up just fine.
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2010 5:24:51 PM

It happens right when I turn the computer on. I have heard of PIO mode but I am not familiar of how to check this on my computer
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
March 19, 2010 7:50:23 PM

Try with HDTune, do a simple benchmark, finish it, then make a screenshot and post it here.

If you have multiple drives, you should do this on each disk you have; if one of them is running in PIO mode this may explain the slowness you were experiencing.

PIO will make your system go very slowly, even with light load like clicking Firefox. You may experience the mouse being "choppy" or skipping at intervals due to excessive interrupt usage.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
March 19, 2010 7:52:50 PM

Also, what Operating System are you running?
m
l
March 19, 2010 8:06:01 PM

Im using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, it hasnt happened recently, I removed diskeeper and its been fine ever since ill post a screenshot of AS-SSD benchmark, ill also post a screenshot of the IOP's

Remember im using 2 intel 80 gig x-25 m's in raid 0

m
l
a c 127 G Storage
March 20, 2010 3:08:53 AM

I don't know this Diskkeeper, but if it intercepts all I/O and processes it with its own drivers/services, it may have well caused a significant slowdown in the IOps rate, and thus cause your slow system behavior.

Remember, many 'optimization' programs do not apply to your Intel X25-M SSD; the less of that stuff you install, the better.

Also, may i ask what stripesize you are using?
m
l
March 20, 2010 4:42:08 AM

I use a 128k strip size, are those numbers about were they should be? or do they seem low
m
l
March 22, 2010 7:47:52 PM

I did some comparisons on the benchmarks numbers, and the only one that seems lower is the 4k-64thrd, everything else is good it seems
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
March 22, 2010 8:08:36 PM

Your numbers look excellent, though the 64-threaded random write could be bit higher.

The 128KiB stripesize is the recommended one; that would mean each stripe is aligned with one flash block, as Intel SSDs use 128KiB flash block sizes. So that's all very good.
m
l
March 22, 2010 8:15:36 PM

Ok cool, everything has been running very smooth since I uninstalled diskeeper, maybe that also did something to make the 64 thread run slower
m
l
April 3, 2010 5:59:32 AM

sorry to bring back an old post, but this problem is still happening. Im getting so tired of it because my computer is basically useless besides the internet, I cant run any programs when it does this. Im about ready to reformat but I really dont want to
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 3, 2010 9:46:40 AM

Test all your harddrives for PIO issues; give us a list of your harddrives; test them with HDTune. Does any of them show high CPU utilization or a horizontal score result?
m
l
April 3, 2010 6:49:28 PM

how do I test my drives for PIO issues?
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 3, 2010 8:40:58 PM

Run the standard HDTune benchmark on them. If it shows a flat line under 20MB/s and CPU utilization is very high (close to 25% for quad-core; 50% dual-core), then it's likely that drive is hit by a PIO issue.

PIO will cause the entire PC to freeze, when the drive is accessed.
m
l
April 3, 2010 9:00:53 PM

Ok I will test it today
m
l
April 4, 2010 1:39:18 AM

ok here is what I got on the standard test

Im running two Intel X-25 M G2's in raid 0 and 1 Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB

Intel SSD raid 0

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB

m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 4, 2010 2:06:25 AM

No other HDDs? No external/USB drives?

Your 1TB drive and RAID0 are not affected by PIO.

Can you explain again what performance aspect it is exactly that bothers you? Does it freeze now and then, be slow when opening programs, etc? Is it only with specific things or all things? Did you disable all antivirus/anti-whatever protection that runs on the background? Have you looked at system services like System Restore, Superfetch, Indexing Service?
m
l
April 4, 2010 2:28:23 AM

Oh I do have an external Western Digital my book 1TB, here are the results for that.

Every now and then right after system start up the hard drive LED light will just stay on, programs like iTunes, windows media player or any game will not open up when this happens. Randomly after a few minutes any program that I tried to open will just open out of no were. I can use Google chrome and do anything on the internet during this time though. I even check the task manager resource manager to see if there is something in there that is using alot of resources, but there isn't. It always just shows the normal programs. When I try and shut the computer down, it goes to the screen were it says a program is running and you can either wait or force the program to stop, after that it will stay on the windows shut down screen for awhile, finally the screen will turn black but the hard drive LED light is still on and then the computer will turn off after awhile. Sometimes it will continue to do this if I turn the computer back on, I usually just have wait for it to finish doing whatever its doing. System restore, superfetch, and indexing are all disabled on the SSD.

m
l
April 6, 2010 9:34:59 PM

this sucks to hear. Makes me not want to put my SSDs in raid
m
l
April 6, 2010 10:46:33 PM

Im actually starting to think its not a hard drive problem now. I decided to reformat because I was getting so tired of this problem. So I booted onto my backup windows partition that is on my WD storage drive so I can do a full format on the two SSD's. The same problem happenes again, this is a totally different windows partition and has nothing installed on it. It happened when I opened up ISOburner so I can put secure erase on a cd and run that, ISOburner just hung there and did nothing during this time, it finally stopped and I was able to burn the cd. It also happened again while I was formatting both drives, both drives just stopped at 24% complete, and then like five minutes later they jumped up to 75% complete.

Basically my computer just cant do anything while this happens, and now that it happened on my other windows partition, im wondering if this is a motherboard problem, any ideas?
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 7, 2010 4:20:29 PM

You already used Memtest86? If not, leave it running for a night long. Ensure you have a stable system to begin with.
m
l
April 18, 2010 6:17:11 PM

Sorry again to bring back the post. Im getting to the point to were im going to get rid of these intel SSD's. The memory has no errors. My computer was running fine ever since my last post, but now its doing it again. Its actually worse, just now it did it and I let it do its thing and then it stopped, I started up battlefield and it did it again and battlefield will not boot up, nor will any other program besides google chrome boot up. I still cant find any unusual programs that may be causing this. I found one though that im not sure about, when I check my resource monitor, it shows C:\Windows\Prefetch\readyboot\Readyboot.etl Every time that program is reading/writing the most bytes. I have the prefetcher disabled in my registry, so could this be the issue?

It was doing it during the whole time I made this post and for about ten minutes after, I then just turned the computer off, took about 2 minutes to turn off. I turned it back on, It did it again fir about five minutes, tried to boot up battlefield again, would not boot up, and now my computer is pretty much unresponsive besides google chrome.

I dont know if this matters or not but my intel X-25 SSD's have different serial numbers on them, and different model numbers.

Model: INTEL SSDSA2M080GSGN Serial: CVPO939501D2080BGN
Model: INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GC Serial: CVPO0035013M080BGN

Both are intel 80 gig X-25M's with the most current firmware on them 2CV102HD
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 18, 2010 6:34:10 PM

I think there may be something with your install; it can't be the SSDs themselves.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 18, 2010 7:02:21 PM

I don't think any of the tweaks could lead to the kind of behavior you described; and you also said something comparable happened during Windows setup/install.

Could you tell me exactly what you have in your system? CPU, mobo, disks, PCI cards, everything! Also do you have any USB devices plugged in besides the keyboard and mouse? Can you confirm you ran Memtest86+ for at least 24 hours and used Prime95 to test the stability of the CPU? Prime95 can be downloaded with google, and runs in windows unlike memtest86+ which you have to burn to cd.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 18, 2010 7:04:19 PM

Quote:
SSDSA2M080GSGN

I think that should be SSDSA2M080G2GN
m
l
April 18, 2010 7:30:29 PM

Yes that is supposed to be a 2 instead of an S. I have ran prime95 and memtest for 24 hours. Everything is stable.
Core i7 950 @ 3.83Ghz
Mushkin redline DDR3 1600 @1603Mhz, 12 Gigs, BTW: it is running on the XMP profile and default timings which are 6,7,6,18
EVGA SLI classified mobo with the most current bios, Bios 51
Creative x-fi titanium fatality pro, which uses the small PCI-E slot
No other PCI cards
Lite-on blu-ray disk drive
Lite-on DVD-RW drive
2 intel X-25 M's
1 WD caviar black 1TB
1 WD external 1TB Mybook, which is the only thing plugged into a USB port besides mouse and keyboard
1 Nvidia GTX 295
Thermaltake 1200 watt PSU
I think thats everything

Another thing that may be usefull. Before I was running raid, I only had one X-25. Every now and then my computer would randomly stop detecting one of the drives, sometimes it would be the SSD, and when that happens the comp would crash, sometimes it would stop detecting the WD caviar, sometimes it would also stop detecting one of the CD drives. The only fix that would work was to switch the SATA ports. Sometimes it wouldnt happen for weeks, sometimes it would happen multiple times a week. I pretty much narrowed that down to the SATA controller. Also the computer hanging problem im having now never happened before I set-up raid. So then I bought a second X-25 and eventually started having the hanging problem. Today for the first time, my mobo didnt detect one of the SSD's and windows would not boot, I then had to switch the SATA ports to fix it and then I switched them back and it booted up.

So could this maybe be a mobo problem?
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
April 18, 2010 8:26:47 PM

It really sounds to me like you've having some sort of motherboard or controller problem that's likely not the fault of the Intel SSD. Have you checked your system event logs to see if there are any errors being reported?

It would also be worth checking the SMART attributes to see if there are any DMA errors. Unfortunately my Intel SSD doesn't seem to have some of the SMART error counts that my hard drive does, but it does have an "End to End Error" count that might reveal connection issues.
m
l
April 19, 2010 12:58:24 AM

I haven't checked the logs yet, but I will. What exactly do I check for in the logs? Is there another way to check the SMART attributes? I know the intel toolbox checks that, but the toolbox does not support raid.

m
l
a c 415 G Storage
April 19, 2010 8:44:24 AM

Look for what I call "red bullets" in the event logs - events that have a red error icon next to them. Not all of them are really all that bad, but if you find stuff related to the disks then it might provide you with a clue.

I suspect with RAID you may be out of luck in accessing the SMART data, unless the RAID configuration screens themselves have that capability.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 19, 2010 8:53:52 AM

Intel should have a utility to access SMART of disks in the RAID. Googling tells me that you can access SMART via the "intel matrix console".
m
l
April 19, 2010 3:34:09 PM

Didnt see any errors related to the disks, I also couldnt find anything to check the SMART attributes in the matrix console, the only thing I saw was that it can verify the raid array, so I did that, took about five minutes, and it came back with no errors.

BTW, my mobo stopped detecting on of the SSD's again, so my system froze and then got a BSOD because of that, had to switch the ports again to fix it.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 19, 2010 3:48:47 PM

Perhaps it is simpler to boot an Ubuntu Linux cd and access SMART information from there. If you want to try this, go ahead and download latest ubuntu desktop iso from ubuntu.com and burn it, boot from it and click Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal.

Then install smartmontools:
sudo apt-get install smartmontools

Then check what kind of disks you have:
ls -l /dev/sd*
dmesg | grep GiB

Then retrieve SMART data from your HDDs:
smartctl -a /dev/sda

You should get a lot of output. Specifically, check for the RAW VALUE of the following properties:
- reallocated sector count
- Current Pending Sector (this NEEDS to be zero or you have a problem)
- UDMA CRC error count (this indicates cabling errors)

Do this for all HDDs/SSDs; though the output of the SSDs may look very different. If possible, post all data by copy-pasting it while still in Ubuntu; you should be able to get Firefox going and login and create a post from there.

Remember: with the Ubuntu livecd, nothing is installed to your harddrive. That also means that after a reboot everything is reset again; thus you would need to install smartmontools again. Also downloading this package would require internet connection (just plug in the Ethernet cable).
m
l
April 20, 2010 4:18:32 PM

Well I was replying to your post about 15 minutes ago untill my computer started going crazy.

I will start with what I was origanally going to write. I havnt had much time lataely to run ubunto but I will try. Today when I turned on my comp it booted up noticeably slower, so I retarted it, instead of going to the black screen that says windows 7, it just went to a black screen with nothing on it and the hard driove LED was on, I let it run for about five minutes, then I pressed the restart button, then when the raid set up screen comes up it shows an error on the second disk in the raid array, so it boots up and I have to go into the matrix console and set that disk to normal. I got an error on the raid array a few days ago and im 90% sure this was the same disk, I have also done a clean install of windows since that first error.

First just to make sure im doing this right. When I do a fresh install of windows I normally delete the raid array, then go into windows repair and run a full clean on both drives, then I go back and create the raid array, then I boot up onto my second windows partition on my storgae disk and I do a full format on the raid array.

Now the fun begins, as I was writing this post for the first time, the computer would fully freeze for about two seconds, everytime it would freeze, the hard drive LED light would go on. This would happen about once every 5-10 seconds. Finally after about five minutes of this, the matrix console reported an error on the raid array, once again it was the second disk. When I opened up the console, it didnt even show the second disk on it. So it finally freezed again, only this time it stayed frozen and then got a BSOD. It booted up and did not detect the second disk, I had to switch the ports for it to detect it again. Now everytime I boot up on the raid array, I will get a BSOD about one minute or so after it has booted up,I took a screenshot of it.

I am writing this post on my second windows install and everything is running smoothly, no freezing, no weird hard drive behavior like I have mentioned before.

I think I am just going to use this partition untill I can fix this issue, I will also be able to tell if the problems have carried over to this partition also.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 20, 2010 4:26:59 PM

If you can get inside windows with the drives connected to non-RAID controller, you can use HDTune to access the SMART data by looking at the Health tab. Now please post all SMART data in here of all disks it finds. It is still a mystery to me too.
m
l
April 20, 2010 4:56:37 PM

Ok I will do that wen I get home, what is the best way to get SSD's back to like new conditions? I don't mean speed because I know they wear down, I'm just wondering if I'm not doing it right when I perform a fresh install and maybe that is causing some of these issues, I've tried hdd errase but I cant figure out how to get that working, I'm not very good at dos apps.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
April 20, 2010 6:12:43 PM

I'm going to ask a foolish question (You probably have done this - reason for foolish), but have you replaced the SSD/HDD data cables.
m
l
April 20, 2010 6:40:07 PM

No I have not replaced the Sata cables, I will do that wen I get home, I'm not sure if I have any new ones though, my motherboard isn't even a hear old yet, do sata cables go bad that easily?
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 20, 2010 7:42:30 PM

Yes happened to me several times. You should be able to identify cabling issues by looking at the UDMA CRC Error Count SMART-value. Though replacing them just in case can't do harm. I would check the SMART output first, though.
m
l
April 20, 2010 8:03:52 PM

This is kind of a dumb question... but how do I check all of the things you said on HD tune, I see were it says info but it doesnt show anything else. Also, im assuming the SSD's need to be single disks in order to test them? not set up in raid
m
l
April 20, 2010 8:05:45 PM

Nevermind I just saw your post were it says were to check it
m
l
April 20, 2010 9:07:38 PM

Here are some screenshots of my results with HD tune and Intel Toolbox. I replaced all of the cables with bran new ones still in their packaging. The western digital drive was tested with each cable in every SATA slot on the mobo and each time it turned back a 45 error count.

First screenshot with one SSD

Second screenshot with the other SSD

Third screenshot with western digital drive

Here is one screenshot with two intel toolbox's running, one for each SSD

EDIT: I just did a full format on both drives and one of them now has a bad sector...
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 21, 2010 12:58:31 AM

Seems you indeed had cabling issues on your WD drive; that could have caused Windows to switch to PIO mode (temporarily) and cause very low performance across the board even for infrequent accesses to the WD drive.

The number should not rise, you may want to keep an eye on it. If it stays 45 now that you have replaced the cables, you should be fine and ruled it out as a possible cause of any issues you may encounter from this point on.

In the last sentence you said you formatted both drives (i assume the SSDs in RAID0?) and you see one of them has a bad sector. Does the SMART values say anything about that? Reallocated sector count? Where do you see the bad sector?

Also, i can see a high number of "unsafe shutdowns" as reported by the Intel toolbox utility. That could be due to a bug with windows shutting down too early not giving the SSD/HDD enough time to flush everything to disk. But i'm not aware of any such bugs with Windows 7. Could also be the result of cabling issues; for example if one of the SSDs had a bad SATA power cable or converter cable.

Still the likely suspect of your symptoms would be cabling issues with the data gathered so far.
m
l
April 21, 2010 3:09:16 AM

hmm I never noticed the unsafe shutdown part. Im not sure what would be causing that, any possible SSD tweaks that may be causing that? remember I linked the sites that I use for the tweaks.

Yes I do format the SSD's in raid 0. I didnt take any screenshots of HD tune when it reported the bad sector. The toolbox said everything was ready to use, and there was only one bad sector that was reported by HD tune.

Since then I have done a secure erase on both drives and have installed windows and all the drivers. I am writing this post while booted on the raid array and so far everything is good..
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 21, 2010 3:43:57 AM

I looked at your tweak links, however they appeared to be harmless.

The bad sector that was reported could also have been a glitch from a cabling issue instead, but because it took so long for only that sector HDTune might think it is bad.

So i would keep an eye on the SMART info on all your drives (SSDs + HDDs) to monitor if the cabling issues are gone now.
m
l
April 21, 2010 3:55:36 AM

Ok I will monitor my drives. I think the next step will be to buy new cables, if that doesnt fix it then I will try running the drives by them selves for awhile and see how that works. If their fine i suppose it may be a raid controller problem and I will probably just RMA the motherboard.

I really appreciate the help
m
l
April 22, 2010 1:06:39 AM

Well I just noticed something interesting. Everything was running normal on my fresh install right up to the point I put a game in MY Blu-ray drive to install it. It is now doing that problem I have been having. I left it on the main install screen for a couple on minutes and then drive was spinning at maybe half speed or so, fast enough to were I can hear it, and the green activity light is flickering. I then I exited the install screen and the drive is still spinning and the green light is still flickering but there is nothing opened up from the CD itself.

Maybe this really is a faulty SATA controller. I am still using the new SATA cables

EDIT: Just ejected the CD and the hard drive LED turned off. Put the cd back in and the hard drive LED went on again, even just on a normal install screen were you hit next. Now it is sitting on the setup screen with no progress completed and it will probably stay like that for a few minutes.

Finally started installing but it is installing extremely slow. Not just slow for an SSD but even my Caviar black can install twice as fast as its going now.
m
l
April 22, 2010 1:58:09 AM

Just got some interesting results with HDtune and ASSD benchmark

and this one is after I clicked OK on the error in the previous screenshot

EDIT: I just ran the ASSD benchmark again and it worked correctly. I opened up matrix console and notice that voume write back cache was disabled, so that may have been the problem. I enabled it and it worked fine
m
l
!