Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ram Coolers

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 1, 2010 5:21:03 PM

Ahoy hoy ppl!



Who knows if using OCZ airflow cooler will cool my mobo as a benefit of having cooler ram?(4x1 gig ocz pc26400)

They run pretty loud at 21db per fan, maybe a lonely heat sink will suffice? However i will have to add an air intake fan in

the front of my case to push the hot air from the heat sink i suppose.

More about : ram coolers

a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2010 5:27:51 PM

THe whole idea of ram coolers is kinda stupid for most people IMO. I would never get a ram sink for a 24/7 system. The only reason i would do that is when i am benching and pushing .3v over what it is supposed to be at.

As for cooling your motherboard... it wouldn't do a damn thing for cooling your northbridge and southbridge. The best you could do is add a better fan on you mobo's heatsink.
m
0
l
February 1, 2010 5:58:53 PM

Thanks man, by mobo heatsink you mean my cpu heatsink correct? If you don't my coolermaster hyper 212 plus hold up way too much real estate to add another fan to my mobo (p5k-e wifi) Well maybe a small one anyways.
Dam fan is a tad loud at full rpm, so i ordered a nexus pwm realsilent 120mm fan instead. Its got the quietest reviews i have seen out there at 27db or so at 2000rpm.
http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-120mm-pwm-fan-ultra-quiet.ht...

I am suspicious of this however i have heard it is almost near quiet.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2010 10:28:46 PM

No, actually i was saying the heatsink that is on your northbridge.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2010 10:49:53 PM

I have run across articles here at Tom's Harware and other sites indicating that ram coolers and those extra tall memory heatspreaders that sort look like a comb do not do anything to improve memory cooling. Consider it an advertising gimmick. The THG article suggested optimal memory cooling is achieved with no heatspreaders. In a typical cpu heatsink "front to back" airflow configuration the heatsink fan draws air over the memory modules.
m
0
l
a c 153 K Overclocking
February 1, 2010 11:16:00 PM

You can always remove your MoBo HS's on the NB/SB and reinstall with a better TIM....commonly done ....check out stickies on Asus support forum, motherboards section.

I have run into "dead air" spots in some cases leading to NB / SB / memory overheating. My youngest son has an Antec Lanboy and it's got a dead spot / hot spot near the memory which I solved w/ one of these:

http://www.videopro.com.sg/products/product_info.php?cP...

Here's another option:

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=ODA=

As for memory cooling heatspreaders, my experience mirrors johnnylucky's for the most part. I am a fan of Ascent Cooling memory technology and have seen good independent articles on the Dominator stuff. However, where it adds more than a marginal cost (say 10% or so) to the RAM modules, I'm more likely to invest in auxillary cooling if it becomes an issue.



m
0
l
February 1, 2010 11:27:16 PM

overshocked said:
No, actually i was saying the heatsink that is on your northbridge.



Roger that.

I don't think i need to put a fan on my north bridge chip, since the cpu cooler fan is right there.

However my south bridge chip does feel very hot, i think i might add an intake fan at the front of my case.

m
0
l
February 1, 2010 11:31:02 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
I have run across articles here at Tom's Harware and other sites indicating that ram coolers and those extra tall memory heatspreaders that sort look like a comb do not do anything to improve memory cooling. Consider it an advertising gimmick. The THG article suggested optimal memory cooling is achieved with no heatspreaders. In a typical cpu heatsink "front to back" airflow configuration the heatsink fan draws air over the memory modules.


Ahh good old Tom to clarify things...

Shame to those bast@#$s and there advertising gimmicks, i feel so unfulfilled now... I guess i will be better off without the extra

42 db of fan noise.
m
0
l
February 2, 2010 12:16:18 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
You can always remove your MoBo HS's on the NB/SB and reinstall with a better TIM....commonly done ....check out stickies on Asus support forum, motherboards section.

I have run into "dead air" spots in some cases leading to NB / SB / memory overheating. My youngest son has an Antec Lanboy and it's got a dead spot / hot spot near the memory which I solved w/ one of these:

http://www.videopro.com.sg/products/product_info.php?cP...

Here's another option:

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=ODA=

As for memory cooling heatspreaders, my experience mirrors johnnylucky's for the most part. I am a fan of Ascent Cooling memory technology and have seen good independent articles on the Dominator stuff. However, where it adds more than a marginal cost (say 10% or so) to the RAM modules, I'm more likely to invest in auxillary cooling if it becomes an issue.



Yeah i guess i could re-apply paste on the nb/sb heatsinks and the heatsink over the power phase chips. I hope asus did a better job applying the paste than my video card.

I re-applied paste on my 8800GT TOP gpu heatsink, man the grease had become like hard paint, very hard to take off. Also they had put on so much that it had leaked all

around the heatsink. I never measured its temperatures before, but games would constantly crash on reasonable settings.

The spotcool seems pretty interesting, NB chip dropped 8 degrees LOL. Luckily for me my NB chip is right beside my coolermaster

hyper 212 plus which the fan is pointed toward it.
m
0
l
!