Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I recently purchased a new build that I set up myself. The specs are
Intel Core i7 920
Gigabyte EX58-DS4 motherboard
2x2gb Dual Channel OCZ memory
Nvidia GTX260
750w PSU
After setting it all up I turned it on but nothing happened. Power was going to the motherboard but it would not POST, there were no beeps and nothing came up on screen. After requesting an RMA from the supplier I was sent a replacement motherboard. The same thing happened even though I was assured this new board had been tested and was working correctly. I took my system in to a computer shop who tested the components seperately, and found they all worked apart from the motherboard (note: they didnt have another core i7 processor to use so they tested my motherboard with my processor still in, however the processor worked when it was tested with a different motherboard). I could only deduce from this that I was sent two faulty motherboards so I ordered a new one from a different supplier, the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R. However, low and behold, upon installation I was having the same problem again. arghhh! Any feedback on this would be much appreciated, since everyone I have rung about it have been unable to help. I have heard that it could be a problem with the version on the BIOS I am running, and Gigabyte's website reccommend updation it, however how can I do this if i cant even get to the BIOS?
I'm really sorry about the long post but am getting very annoyed with this and have spent a lot of money on a set up that doesn't even work. Thanks in advance for any help

bilbat

Splendid
A few questions:
Do the fans power up at attempted boot? If they don't, the MOBO will likely go into thermal shutdown before it can get anywhere.
there were no beeps
Do you have a speaker installed?
Do any LEDs on the board light up?

A comment:
Industry sources indicate that more than half of RMAs are for no reason - i.e., the part tested good upon receipt; this contributes to everyone's cost of doing business...

waft

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Thanks for the response bilbat

Do the fans power up at attempted boot? If they don't, the MOBO will likely go into thermal shutdown before it can get anywhere

Yes the fans do power up at attempted boot, but only the CPU fan is directly connected to the motherboard. This does start when I power up though.

Do you have a speaker installed?
Do any LEDs on the board light up?

I havent installed normal speakers but I have plugged in the HD AUDIO lead to the motherboard which should mean the case speakers will give me the beeps at startup. Also it's not just the lack of 'beeps' that makes me think there is a problem but also the fact that nothing shows up on the screen either. The LED's on the board do lightup which is why I am sure there is power going to it.

bilbat

Splendid
No, no - the HD audio plug from case to MOBO enables the front panel headphone and microphone jacks! Give me a minute (I'm dling a manual from GB's AppleIIe hosted website) and I'll post specific instructions...

bilbat

Splendid
Here's where you need to connect a case speaker, or a piezo:
speakerconnectsj4.jpg

Only cost a couple of bucks - would probably cost more to ship than buy... Perhaps the shop where you've taken it has one (or likely, a dozen) laying around, & would give it to you if you beg them sufficiently!

waft

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Ah, I didnt realise that I hadn't got the case speakers set up. i shall try and get the lead for it from the shop as you say. However, even though the case speaker isn't connected this still shouldn't affect the computer starting up and POSTing. I should get something on screen when i boot up, shouldn't I? This is the first system I have built myself so forgive me if I'm a bit slow or missing the point.

scrumhalf

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
Which OCZ Dual Channel RAM do you have? Please link to it. If you are using older OCZ DDR3, it may require more than 1.65V, which is the limit for the Core i7 platform.

Remove everything besides the CPU and turn on. If you get a beep, then you know the motherboard/CPU should be ok (if not, try an alternate PSU, btw what make is the PSU?). If that gets you a beep, try booting with 1 stick of RAM. Gigabyte's website isn't letting me download the manual at the moment, so I'm not sure which bank the single DIMM should go in. Try each of the 2 closest to the CPU.

I just checked the specs on all OCZ 2 channel DDR3 kits that NewEgg has, of 42 kits, require 1.7V or higher, so I'm betting that is your culprit.

waft

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Which OCZ Dual Channel RAM do you have? Please link to it. If you are using older OCZ DDR3, it may require more than 1.65V, which is the limit for the Core i7 platform.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_10666_intel-extreme_edition
This is the memory i am using, it runs at 1.75v I believe, could this be the cause of my problem? If so how can I rectify this?

Remove everything besides the CPU and turn on. If you get a beep, then you know the motherboard/CPU should be ok (if not, try an alternate PSU, btw what make is the PSU?)

Already tried removing everything apart from the processor then turning on, but still no beeps. However, according to previous posts I dont think I have the speaker for the case connected to the motherboard which doesn't help, but I can't see a cable in the case that looks like it would be the case speaker. The PSU is a 750w from SILENCER, but I'm pretty sure this is working since I took my machine to a shop who tested all the components individually and told me that they all worked apart from the motherboard (however, he didn't have a test core i7 processor to work with so he could only use the one already in my system, which leds me to think it could be a problem with the BIOS version since I have heard Gigabyte have had issues with this)

try booting with 1 stick of RAM. Gigabyte's website isn't letting me download the manual at the moment, so I'm not sure which bank the single DIMM should go in. Try each of the 2 closest to the CPU.

I was already reccommeded by someone at Gigabyte to try booting up with only one memory stick in the slot closest the the processor, which I tried to no avail :(

Thanks for the response, the help is much appreciated.

scrumhalf

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
It's the RAM. Core i7 can't have more than 1.65V for the RAM. Unfortunately, you'll likely have to get some different RAM. I would strongly advise that you make a post on OCZ's Forums, if it's possible to get that RAM running on your board, they will know how. The only way I can imagine it being possible would be to boot with a different stick of RAM to be able to make some modification to the BIOS settings, so that may not help. OCZ also has a great rep for helping customer's, so they may even help you exchange it.

waft

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Thanks for the respnse scrumhalf,

I contacted Gigabyte with concerns that the memory was running at too high a voltage for the core i7 motherboard, however they replied that although this may cause stability problems, it shouldn't stop the sytem from POSTing. This is the answer I got when I asked a few other technicians about this. Gigabyte did say that my specific memory wasn't on the memory support list so hadn't been tested with the motherboard. I have also written on the OCZ forums like you advised and am still awaiting a reply.

If they can't help then I really don't know what else could be the problem, people I have spoke to have said they've never come across something like this before :(

scrumhalf

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
A BIOS update may get it working, but obviously you would need another stick of DDR3 to POST in order to flash. Respond to your thread on OCZ's forum to let him know you've tried all that he listed, maybe they'll hook you up.

waft

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I thought it might be the BIOS that needed updating for it to work but unfortunately I don't have access to another stick of memory that would allow the sytem to POST and get me to the BIOS. After speaking to aria (the dealer) today I have sent the motherboard, CPU and memory back for testing, so hopefully they can get to the bottom of this. Thanks for all the help, will keep you updated.

bilbat

Splendid
Just to elucidate for the rest of the uninformed among the audience reading here; you don't need a speaker to boot up - you need a speaker when you can't boot up! Oft times, it'll be the only diagnostic info you can access, and will help you 'aim' your troubleshooting attempts... Even if your case doesn't have one, and you don't want one 'cause you're annoyed by the 'boot OK' beep, keep one around on a header in your 'junk drawer' - some day you'll thank me!

waft

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Quick update:
After recieving my MOBO, CPU and memory last monday my supplier has finally got round to testing it. They found that the memory wasn't compatible with the rest of the setup, so they're upgrading it to 6GB tripple channel memory at no extra cost, to reimburse the money I spent sending bits and bobs back for testing. Should be getting it back tomorrow so I'll post in more detail to let you know how it goes, but fingers crossed I should have a fully functioning beast of a machine at last (only a month after purchase!) Thanks for all the help and advice, really apreciated it, gave me some food for thought.

daddyd302

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Weird, I tested my mobo with my old Super Talent DDR3 dual channel 1866 and it booted up and ran fine. I adjusted the volts to 1.7 and it still booted.

TRENDING THREADS