Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Cases
  • Silver
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2008 10:20:36 AM

I'm getting a little bored of my old silver case, and until i build my new system with a shiney new pre-modded NZXT case i want to brighten up my system. I've been reading around on painting PC cases, and they all go on about havin to sand down but thats to get a mirror finish. I want a nice metallic matt finish.

So my question is, do i have to bother with all the hassel of sanding, painting, wet sanding, painting? or for a matt finish should i just clean the case with a white spirit and then prime and spray?

I've just resprayed my car and i know how good and smooth a finish car paints can give, would that work on the steel of a painted PC case?

thanx in advance

More about : painting case

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2008 10:42:39 AM

The problem is not the finish but paint adhesion. As long as you have a surface that will take the primer, you're set.
October 14, 2008 10:47:42 AM

so if i just clean the panels with white spirit or an alcohol, to remove the grease, everything should be fine?

What bout the bare steel inside the case, can then be painted too? or is that not a good idea with some parts inside gettin to like 55'C?
Related resources
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2008 11:01:41 AM

Airflow through the case is far more important than the interior surface.

I'm saying that the existing finish on the exterior might need to be scored so that the primer will have something to bond to. I think most cheaper case finishes are electro-static painted.... and I do not know how that plays with a standard oil-based primer.

Just get a sheet of 180 grit or some such and rub up the case before you prime.
October 14, 2008 12:14:28 PM

There really isn't much to painting a computer case. I don't see why people say you need to sand, prime and all that. I've done it in the past and all you need is a good can of spray paint. Engine paint, caliper paint and metal paint work best. As long as the case is clean it will stick fine.
October 14, 2008 1:09:34 PM

zero3one said:
There really isn't much to painting a computer case. I don't see why people say you need to sand, prime and all that. I've done it in the past and all you need is a good can of spray paint. Engine paint, caliper paint and metal paint work best. As long as the case is clean it will stick fine.

Then you don't have much experiance painting, painting over an existing paint job can lead to many problems. Different types of paint sprayed over each other can lead to the top coat pulling or lifting the paint below it from the solvents used in the paint eating into the coat below. It can also cause and orange peal effect on the top coat. Now lets not forget the plastic parts in the case, you don't use metal paint on those you use vinyl dye for that. You can get vinyl dye at any auto parts store, one manufacture of vinyl dye is called Plasti-Kote and they make it in many different colors. Plastic parts don't need to be sanded or scuffed like metal but they do require there own vinyl cleaner to be used. As for painting the inside of the case there is no problem doing that either just make sure you prep it (clean and scuff or sand). As for the matte finish you just want to buy matte paint.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2008 1:13:17 PM

^+1. Automotive spray paint works well. But if you need the pro look you need to sand.
October 14, 2008 2:03:33 PM

Unless you have access to a compressor and spay gun, you're going to end up using spray bombs and one company that has some great colors in spray bombs is House Of Kolors and can be found at most big hobby stores, heck the Walmart down the street from me sells it as well. For inside the case where its bare metal, stop at the local autoparts store and see what you can find in a self eching primer. If you want that Pro look and don't want to do a bunch of sanding, you need the compressor and some Urithane Enamel paint. It will put a shine on a rock and last forever, but do it in a well ventalated area if you don't want to get high. LOL
October 17, 2008 6:36:47 PM

stoner133 said:
Then you don't have much experiance painting, painting over an existing paint job can lead to many problems. Different types of paint sprayed over each other can lead to the top coat pulling or lifting the paint below it from the solvents used in the paint eating into the coat below. It can also cause and orange peal effect on the top coat. Now lets not forget the plastic parts in the case, you don't use metal paint on those you use vinyl dye for that. You can get vinyl dye at any auto parts store, one manufacture of vinyl dye is called Plasti-Kote and they make it in many different colors. Plastic parts don't need to be sanded or scuffed like metal but they do require there own vinyl cleaner to be used. As for painting the inside of the case there is no problem doing that either just make sure you prep it (clean and scuff or sand). As for the matte finish you just want to buy matte paint.

Not to get into a pissing contest but I've painted my last 4 cases and they turned out very well. As long as you take your time and do a couple of light coats it will look professional. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so if they didn't look good, I would not have been happy. You are right about the plastic but Krylon makes a spray paint that works very well on plastic.
February 7, 2013 4:41:07 PM

just wanted to add a comment about painitng custom PC cases. I tried my first one the other night.

So i was able to take some time and do a painting on my Wife's PC case. I learned a lot form it. Like dont let the metal get real cold.. so dont leave it in the garage over night in Winter :lol:  . Some cracking in the paint but its my first piece. Please let me now what you think.

Im hoping to do some more custom work for friends.

http://www.foundmyself.com/Windswept/art/wifes-pc-case/...
!